Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Touching the Void
Touching the Void
2004-03-05, 6:21 PM #1
I saw this docu-drama tonight, and it was incredible. It really puts other mountain climbing movies (like "K2" and "Vertical Limit") to shame (no big feat there though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] ). Throughout the movie, you could hear people in the audience uttering "oh my god" as this guy faced each new obstacle, which made his chances of surviving even more slim... I highly recomend it.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Joe Simpson and Simon Yates set out to climb the west face of the Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes. It was 1985 and the men were young, fit, skilled climbers. The west face, remote and treacherous, had not been climbed before. Following a successful 3-day ascent, disaster struck. Simpson fell a short distance and broke several bones in his leg. With no hope of rescue, the men decided to attempt descent together with Yates lowering Simpson 300 feet at a time in a slow, painful process that could have potentially been deadly for both. One further misstep led to Yates unknowingly lowering his injured partner over the lip of a crevasse. With the gradient having gone from steep to vertical, he was no longer able to hold on. Certain they were about to be pulled jointly to their deaths -- the only choice was to cut the rope. Based on the international bestseller, "Touching the Void," which combines dramatic and documentary techniques, is directed by Kevin Macdonald, the Academy Award-winning director of "One Day in September."</font>

You can watch the preview here: http://www.pathefilms.co.uk/touching_the_void/

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited March 05, 2004).]
2004-03-05, 6:24 PM #2
Looks spiffy. Never heard of it before. I'll have to see it sometime. IMO Vertical Limits was horrible.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TouchingtheVoid-1129320/

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
BABIES EVERYWHERE!!!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited March 05, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-03-06, 10:17 AM #3
I really liked K2. Is this one in theatres or available for rent?

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-03-06, 11:35 AM #4
I saw that I while ago. It was great.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I remember thinking: 'I'm going to die to Boney M'</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"With Great power comes great Responibility. Seems like the converse should be true as well. Now where the heck is my great Power?"
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-03-06, 1:32 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
I really liked K2. Is this one in theatres or available for rent?

</font>

Its still in the theaters, but its probably only playing at art houses or other theaters that specialize in playing artsy-fartsy films.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-03-06, 5:20 PM #6
I made a documentary with the same name, but the subject matter was greatly different.
2004-03-06, 6:03 PM #7
Cliffhanger had me uttering "oh my god", mainly at Sylvester Stalone's acting 'talent', though.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-03-06, 6:47 PM #8
Aren't Pathe the same people who produced Wallace & Grommitt? Is this some foreign film, cuz I don't remember seeing this in mainstream theatres in december?

------------------
~ Vader's Corner ~ The place to submit your poetical works!
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-03-06, 6:50 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slug:
I made a documentary with the same name, but the subject matter was greatly different.</font>

Pre-ordered.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

↑ Up to the top!