Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I have a question about something
I have a question about something
2004-03-07, 8:14 AM #1
Does anyone know how id be able to block a website from being accessed on my computer?

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-03-07, 8:27 AM #2
There're programs for that. Other than that, sorry can't think of anything.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-03-07, 8:35 AM #3
If you use IE, there are options in the Tools/Internet Options menu that allow you to block certain sites.

------------------
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

New! Fireworks T-shirts!
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2004-03-07, 8:47 AM #4
WINDOWS/System32/Drivers/etc

Inside that directory is a file called "hosts". Open this file with Notepad (or any other text editor). This file allows you to specify IP addresses for hostnames / domain names. This file will *always* be checked before hitting DNS for a name, so you can block domain names here very easily.

Yours will contain the following:
Code:
#IP address       Hostname
127.0.0.1       localhost

The first bit is the IP address that the hostname should point to, the second bit is the hostname itself.
Add a new entry, with an Ip address of "127.0.0.1" and the hostname of whatever site you want to block.

Example"
Code:
127.0.0.1      massassi.net

That would effectively block Massassi on your computer.

You can use this method to block just about anything. I used to use to alot to block adservers...

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-07, 8:54 AM #5
I cant find the hosts file. Im using windows 98 btw. Does that matter?

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-03-07, 9:15 AM #6
Yes. Windows 9x stores the host file in C:\Windows, I think.

↑ Up to the top!