Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Unreal Tournament 2004 Question.
Unreal Tournament 2004 Question.
2004-03-07, 4:50 PM #1
I want to go out and grab the demo mainly so I have some other new game to poke around in when I'm bored. But before I do that, I want to know if there's even a snowball's chance in hell that it'll run. I've already looked at the system specs, but I know it can be possible to get away with less. Quality is not a concern here. All I want is for it to run smoothly if at all possible. If that means making all of the people look like JK models, so be it. I'm also not pouring any money into this machine either, so please don't tell me to go out and buy things for it.

That being said, these are my system specs.

Intel Penitum III 900Mhz
128 MB of RAM, 512 Virtual
Intel 82810 Graphics Controller (I'm willing to bet that if anything will kill the chances, this will be it.)

I dunno, do you need more than that to tell? The rest of their system specs seemed a moot point and I could easily meet those. It's the above that I'm curious about.

So great Massassian computer people, could I, with some serious tweaking, maybe play it?

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-03-07, 4:54 PM #2
Your system looks decent. Might be worth a try. Though you should keep in mind that the system requirements are slightly higher than that of 2K3.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-03-07, 4:56 PM #3
I wouldn't know.

You see, I've lead a sheltered and deprived life and never really bothered with UT until now.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-03-07, 4:57 PM #4
Except that most people will claim that UT2k4 runs faster at the same settings than UT2k3. I'd say go for it, it ran perfectly fine on my PIII-750, although I have 6 times the RAM you do, and my GFX card doesn't suck as bad...

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-03-07, 4:59 PM #5
I only have a 1GHZ sloth of a machine, and it runs decent. Ask Rog-Nog, we played it a few times. Speaking of which, where is Rog-Nog? I haven't seen him around lately...

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-03-07, 4:59 PM #6
UT2k3 ran @ 20-30 fps on my old comp, 700 Celeron, ATi Radeon 7500LE 64 SDRAM 192 SDRAM. No reason why 2k4 shouldn't run at least decently on yours.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-07, 5:01 PM #7
SAJN=Rod-Nog

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-07, 5:02 PM #8
With 4 votes of confidence, looks like I'll be using my school's broadband connection to download the demo tomarrow. That along with the last 2 or 3 episodes of RvB. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] It's nice to have access to such things.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-03-07, 5:02 PM #9
He's SAJN_Master.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%

An exile of the Soviet Massassi Regime
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-03-07, 6:08 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
UT2k3 ran @ 20-30 fps on my old comp, 700 Celeron, ATi Radeon 7500LE 64 SDRAM 192 SDRAM. No reason why 2k4 shouldn't run at least decently on yours.

</font>

you obviouslyknow nothing about his video card..

get a new one ... if you have no AGP slot i'd say get either a FX5200 or Radeon 9200 i'll let someone here who would know which is better make the suggestion on which one

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-03-07, 6:25 PM #11
You should be able to run it at low settings.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-07, 6:28 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:

you obviouslyknow nothing about his video card..

get a new one ... if you have no AGP slot i'd say get either a FX5200 or Radeon 9200 i'll let someone here who would know which is better make the suggestion on which one

</font>

He'd be much better off upgrading his system in general before focusing on the video card.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-03-07, 6:36 PM #13
*strokes his 9800 Pro* precioussss...my precioussss...

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-03-07, 6:44 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malus:

He'd be much better off upgrading his system in general before focusing on the video card.

</font>

yea but a new video card would definately get him playing it quicker and most importantly for many.. CHEAPER

------------------
wang is within all
2004-03-08, 12:11 AM #15
Ut2k4 ran better on my 1.3 duron than ja does on my 3.2 p4 > [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-03-08, 1:12 AM #16
Isn't that like, an 8mb video card? I have one too, and I can't even run NWN. I'm surprised I can run WC3. It's funny because WC3 needs the same video requirements as NWN does. Maybe this is just some weird video card.

I doubt it'll work. It didn't work on mine and I have the exact same system as you, video card and all, and twice the ram.

------------------
Fight fire with fire! Fight EVERYTHING with fire!

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-03-08, 1:20 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
yea but a new video card would definately get him playing it quicker and most importantly for many.. CHEAPER

</font>

DrkJedi--It might work with that video card, and even if not, what's the harm in trying? If you want phoenix, I have my old Radeon 7500 I'd sell to you for 25 shipping included. Not a great card, but it ran UT2k3 :P.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-08, 3:08 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
I'm also not pouring any money into this machine either, so please don't tell me to go out and buy things for it.</font>

You people READ quite well.

Now, I said I wasn't going to pour money into THIS machine. I have my reasons. However, I AM refurbishing an older box I have with scavenged parts and that card could be useful, DJ Yoshi. Send me an email (IanSechler@netscape.net) and I'll see if I can work something out.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited March 08, 2004).]
Last Stand
2004-03-08, 3:28 AM #19
You all are forgetting a new feature of UT2K4. The new software rendering system. Sure it looks and runs like crap, but if you have a non-existant video card, it'll do what you need. You will probably need to use this option. If you download the demo and it doesn't work off the bat, let me know. I'll tell you what you have to change in it's config file. It's only a matter of changing 2 lines.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-03-08, 5:08 AM #20
get UT first and play it to death then get the 2k4 demo [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
i prefer to pretend like 2k3 never existed =P

(btw, i'm running 2k4 demo on my PowerBook! w000t! hehe)

------------------
why is a raven like a writing desk?
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-03-08, 12:26 PM #21
Kind of a hijack here, but didn't want to make a new thread over this. Does anyone know how to put make UT2k4 use OGL mode if there is one?? I have an nVidia, and it'd increase my performance by muchos, especially since I only have a DX8 card. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-08, 12:28 PM #22
check the ut2004.ini file in the system directory [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I don't have UT2003 or 2004 installed but in UT it was like this:

GameRenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
then change it to
GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

The name can be found further down the file.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%

[This message has been edited by TheJkWhoSaysNi (edited March 08, 2004).]
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-03-08, 12:40 PM #23
Actually, the line is in there already, just commented out. Unfortunately, the demo does NOT SUPPORT OpenGL. It will not launch if you attempt to enable it. The software renderer does work(The pixo one), which is probably what replaced the OpenGL renderer in the demo. Obviously all render modes will be in the full game.

(Meh I guess I was wrong... well it doesn't work on my machine. Bleh.)

In addition, you will not get much of a performance boost, since UT2004 is not a DirectX 9 game. (At least, it doesn't use it's features, but it probably requires it just to force people to upgrade like they should.) It is only DirectX 8, just like its predecessor.

I would also like to mention that the original poster should be able to run this game fine, even if he has to use software rendering. If I can get the game to run on my POS laptop (stats below), then anything can.

My laptop POS:
PIII 750mhz
128MB Ram (shared with video-technically 120MB after)
Cybersomething integrated video, 8MB shared RAM
Some cheap-arse audio

DirectX mode: 4-5 fps in Deathmatch
Software mode: 5-10 fps, in Deathmatch

Obviously a desktop system is much more powerful, and your CPU and video card are probably much more rock solid than these cheapo laptop parts.
------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."

[This message has been edited by Cool Matty (edited March 08, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Cool Matty (edited March 08, 2004).]
2004-03-08, 12:44 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
Ut2k4 ran better on my 1.3 duron than ja does on my 3.2 p4 > [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]</font>

This says 2 things...

1) AMD pwns Intel.
2) UT2k4 pwns Q3.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-08, 12:44 PM #25
I launched it with OGL and there were a few messed up things, but it worked. Not optimized of course, but better FPS than D3D. Thanks!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-08, 12:48 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
This says 2 things...

1) AMD pwns Intel.
2) UT2k4 pwns Q3.

</font>

Well, graphics wise yah, but Q3 had better optimizations...It's just that JA's optimizations blew. But yah, you're right on the first part, although a Duron doesn't pwn a 3.2 P4C, if that's what it is. Hyperthreading makes me happy [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-08, 1:08 PM #27
Hyperthreading is a waste. It only works on certain programs, and it actually runs slower when its on, when not using multi-threaded programs.

------------------
2004-03-08, 1:10 PM #28
I've only heard the rumors about it, but I also know that if the processor's a 3.2c, it'll overclock like a beast. I've heard tales of 2.4's being overclocked to 3.4 on air!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-08, 1:38 PM #29
Phoenix_9286's graphics card gives a new meaning to the word 'bad'. I had to use a machine with almost the same specs a couple of years ago. The "turn down every single setting in the game and make it look like a white blur" approach gave me about 16 fps in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, a much older game with less severe requirements.

Also, I've yet to come across a system using the Intel 810 intergraded graphics with an AGP slot. Keep in mind that almost all somewhat modern cards require one (with the exception of the Geforce 2/4 MX PCI line of cards). I'm not sure if the Radeon 7500 requires an AGP slot though.
2004-03-08, 1:43 PM #30
Mine doesn't, it's PCI heheh. I used to have an Intel810 system too

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-08, 2:45 PM #31
again the best options from each company for PCI to my knowledge are GF FX5200 for nvidia and Radeon 9200 for ATI I personally don't know which of the 2 is better... and an example of software mode

------------------
wang is within all
2004-03-08, 3:32 PM #32
Ok... Let's see here.

I got the demo this afternoon.
I've installed and have it running.
I've currently got ALL the settings one their very lowest option. It looks kinda crappy, kinda like JK on an older computer.
I have a few issues with the game lagging up everynow and then, nothing major.
My only major complaint are the load times. I can literally load up a game, leave the room, go to the kitchen, make some pop-tarts, come back, eat them, and one pop-tart later the game might be up. I was more or less expecting this however.
DrkJedi82, could I get an idea of what your settings where for that screen? That is, if it's yours. It looks LOADS better than what I currently have.
That having been said, someone tell me how to activate this Software Render stuff as well, please.

My overall first impressions were that this game is a lot like Halo on steroids in places. Especially Onslaught. The Manta is godly. I love it. I tried the rest, but it was the one I kept going back to. Just seems like nothing beats being able to run like hell in a vehical, then run off a cliff and hit the boosters at the last second, thus launching yourself further into the air and putting you in something of a position to reign hell below.

So yea, I'll be playing this again sometime soon. I think I'll have a go and getting the Mac demo tomarrow as well and try setting it up on my iMac. I know a friend who'd love it and we desperately need a new LAN game. JK is good, but you just need a break once in a while.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-03-08, 4:11 PM #33
the software mode is in the settings... where it says Direct3D you can bring down the menu to choose software... and i think software mode ignores the other settings... because at 800x600 it looks more like 320x240 and it ignores settings like detail textures and i think coronas and all that... but i have all settings at "normal" with detail textures, coronas, foliage, dynamic lights, and decals turned on with decal stay at "low"

and it ran at slideshow framerates on my computer and ran just barely playable on my mom's laptop

my computer:
600MHz Celeron
256MB RAM
GF4MX 440 PCI

laptop:
2.4GHz P4
768MB RAM
Radeon IGP 345M 64MB shared

------------------
wang is within all
2004-03-08, 4:14 PM #34
It still boggles the mind how some people want to take blood from a rock--If you're gonna upgrade your card, upgrade it according to your machine. Don't buy a 9800 on a 500 MHz PII and expect it to give you wonderful framerates. Sorry, just talking about something on here, not talking to anyone on here particularly.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!