Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I had an MRI today...
I had an MRI today...
2003-12-10, 7:00 PM #1
And boy are those things loud.

I lost about 15 pounds without trying, and so I went to the doctor. After a bunch of blood tests, they couldn't find anything wrong except that my cortisol levels were a little high. Cortisol levels are controled by the adrenal gland, so they thought that the gland could be messed up. One test later, that doesn't seem to be the case.

They then thought it may be something with my pituitary gland, so I had an MRI done earlier today. I sat in a tube for an hour, but slept through most of it.

I got a call from the doctor, and he said that the test came out great. So I still don't what's wrong with me, so I will be seeing an endochronologist soon. I hope he can figure it out.

But my weight seems to be stabilizing, It has been hovering around 170 for the past few weeks. I just hope that we can find out what the problem is.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2003-12-10, 7:36 PM #2
Cortisol is also a stress hormone, (meaning relased in times of stress: physical or mental) and causes the breakdown of fats and proteins, which may account for your weight loss. You don't have any infections at the moment do you?
2003-12-10, 7:54 PM #3
No, I don't. And I haven't been under all that much stress lately. I was kinda stressed for about a week, but that was after all the weight loss, so I don't think that it could be the cause.

------------------
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

-Calvin
2003-12-10, 8:39 PM #4
Have you been forgetting to eat?

Seriously though, hoping for the best

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-10, 8:53 PM #5
Hi,

My sister almost died because of a lack of thyroid (don't know the correct spelling). It is something SO EASY to fix, but they did not test it because it's something that generally affects older women, not young kids. She had the same symptoms to begin with. Something to ask about, anyway.

Hope you feel better,
Brian
2003-12-11, 9:12 AM #6
I had an MRI 4 years ago and still haven't got the results back...

I don't remember it being THAT loud though.

------------------
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
2003-12-11, 9:58 AM #7
Oh they're pretty loud. But you don't notice it when they put headphones on you and you listen to your newly burned CD just for the occasion [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

(They have special headphones with heavy insulation so they don't yank your head off when the MRI kicks on. The CD player is in the other room, where the computers are.)

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2003-12-11, 10:45 AM #8
wish I could lose 15 pounds without trying...

but seriouly, hope you feel better, and if it is due to stress, hope you're life's getting less stressful

------------------
If there is a 50% chance that you are going to be right, there is a 90% chance that you will choose the wrong one ~SithNazgul, the 50-50-90 rule
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2003-12-11, 10:49 AM #9
It's good you got it checked so quickly. If it is anything, I'm sure you'll find it, but it's probably nothing...

------------------
In rememberance of MaDaVentor...one of the best Massassians out there.
http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/031774.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out updates for my editing work at the Shadow Jedi Academy.
2003-12-11, 12:38 PM #10
Do you read any Stephen King? Either way, have you ever heard of Thinner...?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2003-12-11, 3:06 PM #11
No, actually.

------------------
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

-Calvin
2003-12-11, 3:24 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
(They have special headphones with heavy insulation so they don't yank your head off when the MRI kicks on. The CD player is in the other room, where the computers are.)

</font>

Just out of curiosity... how do you insulate magnetic fields? I suppose you could do it some some pretty funky electrical fields, but wouldnt that mess up the MRI?

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-11, 3:29 PM #13
I heard once a 7 year old died because a nurse brought into the room a metal container of oxygen (or something like that). The thing went flying toward the kid (who was in the "magnetic field") [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-12-11, 3:46 PM #14
I just got earplugs, so it didn't bother me all that much.I don;t know if headphones would have worked, but there was some kind of speaker near my head so that the technician could talk to me.

I almost got my braces removed a month and a half early because of the MRI, but stainless steel doesn't mess it up too bad, so they got to stay on. I was a little irked by that. I want those freaking things off.

------------------
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

-Calvin
2003-12-11, 4:02 PM #15
It hurts getting them off. They dont detach the wire, they just grab one end and yank, ripping them all off at once. Have fun.

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-11, 4:47 PM #16
My weight changes so frequently that it scares me, but my diet is messed up.

I range from 125 to 145 lb ... and I never really look any different.

------------------
<kyle90> i got my SAT scores back
<kyle90> according to the sheet i got sent in the mail, I did "better than 99% of all college-bound seniors"
<kyle90> of course, thats comparing me to americans
<kyle90> so its not really a fair assessment
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2003-12-12, 9:38 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
It hurts getting them off. They dont detach the wire, they just grab one end and yank, ripping them all off at once. Have fun.</font>
That's not how mine were. They popped off each bracket individually and then just lifted them off by the wire. Didn't hurt at all.

------------------
In rememberance of MaDaVentor...one of the best Massassians out there.
http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/031774.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out updates for my editing work at the Shadow Jedi Academy.
2003-12-12, 11:24 AM #18
Shhh, I was trying to make him dread his upcoming orthodontist visit. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage

↑ Up to the top!