Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I propose the generation of a unit to describe the rate of data transfer.
I propose the generation of a unit to describe the rate of data transfer.
2004-03-08, 3:13 PM #1
I'm tired of typing out kb/s whenever I want to tell somebody my download rate. I say we come up with a unit that means "bytes per second" or "kilibytes per second!" All we need is a catchy name and some kind of means to universalize it, and we're in buisness! So who's with me?

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-03-08, 3:19 PM #2
Furlongs per fortnight.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
2004-03-08, 3:20 PM #3
So... you like to confuse people, is that it? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-03-08, 3:28 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yeah, Im download this demo at 142 corrections!</font>

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-08, 3:29 PM #5
I think GBK's got the right idea... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
2004-03-08, 3:31 PM #6
I prefer "I'm downloading this l33t demo at 666 Jims!"

------------------
All the prism in the world couldn't make hue.
2004-03-08, 3:33 PM #7
"Wangs."
2004-03-08, 4:05 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I prefer "I'm downloading this l33t demo at 666 Jims!"

</font>

i wonder where vinny got that idea...

i like thrawn's idea too

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-03-08, 4:06 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
"Wangs."</font>

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-03-08, 4:27 PM #10
My computer gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-03-08, 4:27 PM #11
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-03-08, 4:28 PM #12
"I've got a megawang upload going here."

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-03-08, 4:34 PM #13
I've got giga-wangage on this file!

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-03-08, 4:35 PM #14
you rang?? Megawang... I like the sound of that... It sounds like my biometric robot (read: cereal box painted silver with legs) that's secretly (read: publically and stupidly) in development in my underground lair (read: garage)...

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-03-08, 6:26 PM #15
Correction, there already is a unit that means bytes per second. It's called baud.

------------------
"What sane person could live in this world, and *not* be crazy?"

Council of 14

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
Council of 14
2004-03-08, 6:29 PM #16
What's the point? We still use m/s to describe velocity, and it's spoken of far more than anything else.
2004-03-08, 6:52 PM #17
Yeah, kb/s IS a unit to describe the rate of data transfer...

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-03-08, 7:07 PM #18
What pissed me off is the confusion between caps and no caps and the leftover bits of 1024 rather than 1000... it gets really really annoying when it comes to conversions.

------------------
I check my e-mail
2004-03-09, 1:03 AM #19
I forgot all about baud

------------------
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing: Fallen Soldier
(no site up yet...)
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2004-03-09, 1:58 AM #20
Yeah I always get confused whether people mean Kilobytes or Kilobits. I can never remember whether KB is kilobyte or kb is kilobyte?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-03-09, 2:51 AM #21
Only old people say baud. Like, when they used it they said "Man, i jsut got a new 8-baud modem" and everyone went "ooooo" and they gathered around to count the bytes as they passed.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-03-09, 3:39 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
What pissed me off is the confusion between caps and no caps and the leftover bits of 1024 rather than 1000... it gets really really annoying when it comes to conversions.</font>
It's a binary thing. Start at "1" and keep multiplying by 2. Eventually, you end up at 1024. It's just the way the memory circuits have to be as long as we use binary in digital electronics.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Yeah I always get confused whether people mean Kilobytes or Kilobits. I can never remember whether KB is kilobyte or kb is kilobyte?</font>
KB=kilobyte
Kb=kilobit.
Technically, the K should always be small, but oh well.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-03-09, 9:37 AM #23
I thought baud was in bits. Because they would say:

28800 baud modem would be a 28.8K modem. It would download at 28.8 kiloBITS per second, or about 2.5-3 kb/s

It kind of faded out of use when cable modems came into use and the numbers went into the millions, like 3,000,000 baud would be 3mbps cable modem. Many dialup users will probably see baud used though, when they connect to their ISP:

Connected at 57600 baud. (That's in perfect conditions, but that's 56K)

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-03-09, 9:41 AM #24
Oh, and to Mystic:

If you think the 1000 and 1024 thing is aggarvating, get this little marketing trick Hard drive companies use:

You know how when you buy your brand spanking new 120GB hard drive? Then you slap that baby into your system, turn it on, load windows, and what does the size report as? 111GB. Now you ask, WTF? WHERE'S MY 9 GIGS? Unfortunately there isn't any 9GIGS left over, it's the Hard drive companies reporting their hard drive sizes in 1000byte increments instead of 1024. Obviously Windows uses the correct 1024 format, so it appears as if you lose memory. This happens with all sorts of drives, even back in the 6.4GB and such age. (I had a 6.4, and it reported as 5.99) It's all just a marketing ploy to make you pay for more than you are actually getting.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-03-09, 10:05 AM #25
Regarding the 1000/1024 problems:

From a scientific standpoint, kilo will mean 1000 in all cases except where you have address lines, so when referring to hard disk or memory, you should use k = 1024, because each byte has an address that is referenced by a bonary number.
However, netowrk bandwidth should be k = 1000 because it's just a number of bits or bytes, they aren't addressed.

That's from the scientists' point of view though. I have no idea of the conventions used by the actual engineers that make the stuff, although i vaguely remember something about using K = 1024 and k = 1000. I don't know if that's a standard though (or even if I remember it correctly)
2004-03-09, 10:10 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Giraffe:
... although i vaguely remember something about using K = 1024 and k = 1000. I don't know if that's a standard though (or even if I remember it correctly)</font>

http://www.fact-index.com/b/bi/binary_prefix.html

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-03-09, 11:06 AM #27
So we're going to have start calling them gibibytes?

/shudders

------------------
"With Great power comes great Responibility. Seems like the converse should be true as well. Now where the heck is my great Power?"
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-03-10, 4:58 AM #28
Wangs or Jims sounds nice to me. It needs to be a one-syllable word for quick pronounciation. My money is with wang..

------------------
Gandalv the Gray, recieving bans for Christmas since December 2001
No signature for you.
2004-03-10, 5:06 AM #29
boobies per itch. (Even though this applies to some people, it was a completely random thingiemerbob)

------------------
Fight fire with fire! Fight EVERYTHING with fire!

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-03-10, 7:29 AM #30
pr0ns.

HOLY S*!* GUYS!!!! I'MM GETTING OVER 10 MEGAPR0NS ON THIS BABY!!!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-03-10, 1:56 PM #31
Megapr0n sounds like Megatron, which reminds me of Beast Wars... *sniff*

------------------
I check my e-mail
2004-03-10, 2:00 PM #32
i think the actual name for most people is: Mibts
or thats how you pronounce mb/s, or at least how i do.

------------------
Life is too important to take seriously.
~Oscar Wilde
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
~ Oscar Levant
2004-03-10, 2:01 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
pr0ns.

HOLY S*!* GUYS!!!! I'MM GETTING OVER 10 MEGAPR0NS ON THIS BABY!!!

</font>

sharing is caring...

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%

An exile of the Soviet Massassi Regime
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-03-10, 2:13 PM #34
I've never heard of a baud :O

------------------