Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Violence in Hockey...when is it enough?
Violence in Hockey...when is it enough?
2004-03-10, 12:07 PM #1
I am not sure how many of you follow the sport, but even if you just watch ESPN, you may have heard about Todd BErtuzzi, the Vancouver Canuck he chased a player down, blind sided him with a punch and then slammed his face into the ice. I am confused by the situation myself. Hockey is a more violent sport then even football. They promote violence and aggresiveness. They promote going after a player and fighting. THEY DO ALLOW PLAYERS TO FIGHT untill someone sheds blood or something like that. Referees watch them fight. So I want to know, why would this be any different. Someone on ESPN said it was pre-meditated, but all fights in the NHL are that way! They think before they throw a punch. If the sport advocates violent nature, why would this be wrong WITHIN the terms and rules that the game presents? Morally, it is wrong outside of hockey, no doubt.

By the way, here is the link to the story

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1755854
------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited March 10, 2004).]
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-03-10, 12:15 PM #2
So, you want to ban it? Then let's ban boxing.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-03-10, 12:18 PM #3
BTW: I think you forgot to mention that the guys neck was fractured [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-03-10, 12:19 PM #4
Bertuzzi's attack was premeditated. The guy he went after knocked Vacouver's captain, and league's leading scorer at the time, out with a cheap shot from behind (Naslund missed a few weeks with a concussion) the last time the Nucks played the Avs. That puts an automatic target on him, but that doesn't justify taking Moore out from behind. I have no problem with gettng back at a guy if you do it face to face, but a blindslide from behind is seriously ****ed up because there was no chance for Moore to defend himself.

On a similar note, a Blue Jackets player, Jody Shelly, took out a Sharks player, Brad Stuart, from behind last year. He ran him into the boards then punched hm four or five times in the back of the head while Stuart was down on the ice. Stuart missed 20+ games witha concussion. Shelly was suspended 3 games. Every game since, the Sharks enforcer has fought the guy, but it's been face to face.

Also, there is a good deal of sportsmanship in hockey fighting. It sounds silly, but of you actually watch, the guys sqauring off often pat each other on the back once the fight is over. However, things are definitely more heated after a cheap shot takes a player out.

So, in conclusion, what Bertuzzi did was a terrible thing in that he blindsided the guy. If he had challenged Moore face to face, I have no problem with it at all. He would have brought that much on himself for his actions in the previous matchup. However, the punishment needs to be severe enough to deter such things from happening in the future. A major suspension is warrented here. At least 20 games, maybe more.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited March 10, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-03-10, 1:02 PM #5
The nearest sporting equivalent I can relate to this is when Barry McDermot (who plays Rugby League for Leeds) knocked out three players from the opposing side (can't remember which team - it was years ago) in three punches... he was a heavyweight boxer until he lost the use of one eye, when he decided rugby was the way forward!

The point was, the first bloke deserved a punch, the second two less so, but at least he took them face on - though one punch each and they were in Disneyland!

He didn't wait to be dismessed by the ref - he just walked off, and into a suspension of 12 or so games if I remember right... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-03-10, 1:05 PM #6
violence is always healthy for a decent game.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-03-10, 1:31 PM #7
It's too far when you try to take off your skate and stab somebody with it. (Cookie to those who know where that comes from!)

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...

[This message has been edited by Cool Matty (edited March 10, 2004).]
2004-03-10, 1:51 PM #8
It's a tough call. If the guys neck hadn't been fractured then there's a very large possibility that nothing would have come of it.
At the same time, any hit in hockey can lead to broken bones. Hockey players know that VERY well.
Also at the same time, intimidation and a bout of fisticuffs on the ice is a part of hockey. Hockey players know that VERY well.
Putting both of those FACTS together means they should leave the guy alone and carry on with the game. Or, if a hockey player doesn't want to risk a fractured neck and/or serious injury, he shouldn't get on the ice.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
2004-03-10, 2:07 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
It's too far when you try to take off your skate and stab somebody with it. (Cookie to those who know where that comes from!)

</font>

Shut up, Happy.

------------------
You're entering a world of pain.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-03-10, 2:09 PM #10
Yeah, that one's a little too easy

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-10, 3:28 PM #11
We had a situation like that in Aussie Rules Football about 10 years ago, one player smacked another upside the head causing serious injuries in an off-the-ball incident. He ended up in court facing assault charges.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-03-10, 3:35 PM #12
The problem is some people enjoy watching fights. They are like boxers on ice.

I haven't noticed, but does the audience cheer when there is a hockey fight?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%

An exile of the Soviet Massassi Regime
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-03-10, 3:59 PM #13
Yep. The fans get into it.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-10, 4:00 PM #14
Hehe.

http://www.bash.org/?7549

------------------
The Matrix is not Linux compatible.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-03-10, 4:04 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
So, you want to ban it? Then let's ban boxing.

</font>

NO! NO! NO! I'm not freaking out about this comment its just a type of attitude people have.

Boxing is a fighting sport. HOCKEY IS NOT! When it was first created there was no fighting... this bull**** that hit a overdrive two nights ago has to stop now... I will not accept "Well the fans want it" or "Its part of the game now"... breaking a mans neck is completely unacceptable. HE WASN'T EVEN LOOKING AT HIM FOR **** SAKE! NOT ONLY DOES HE DESERVE TO BE THROWN OUT OF HOCKEY ARENAS FOR LIFE HE SHOULD HAVE HIS STUPID *** THROWN IN JAIL... for the same lenght of time I would be thrown in jail if I took Brian's neck and broke it.

------------------
Don't be unwise judge me not by my size. You wont believe your eyes watch the xwing rise!

[This message has been edited by MechWarrior (edited March 10, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by MechWarrior (edited March 10, 2004).]
2004-03-10, 4:31 PM #16
What happened in now way represents a hockey fight, at all. You have to understand that. If anything, fighting keeps such things from happening more often. 99.9% of the time, a cheap shot is rewarded with a fight, not a player tackling another player. Furthermore, it wasn't the initial hit that did any of the damage. It was the players head hiting the ice, which would have been prevented if the helmet were secured to the players head rather than loosely sitting on the head.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-10, 4:51 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
Boxing is a fighting sport. HOCKEY IS NOT! When it was first created there was no fighting... </font>

Not true. Fighting has been a part of hockey literally since the beginning. The first organized hockey game ever ended in a fight.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-03-10, 4:56 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
What happened in now way represents a hockey fight, at all. You have to understand that. If anything, fighting keeps such things from happening more often. 99.9% of the time, a cheap shot is rewarded with a fight, not a player tackling another player. Furthermore, it wasn't the initial hit that did any of the damage. It was the players head hiting the ice, which would have been prevented if the helmet were secured to the players head rather than loosely sitting on the head.</font>

And the pile-on by Moore's teammates didn't help either.

Also, the whole thing might have been prevented if Moore had been suspended for his cheap shot on Naslund.

And one more point: Bertuzzi's probably lucky Matthew Barnaby wasn't on the ice at the time.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-03-10, 11:07 PM #19
watching CNN cover that story, I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry. Those guys just don't understand hockey. Sure, this particular event was excessive, but fighting is very much a part of the game.. it's not like he walked up to some random guy on the street and punched him into a coma just for the heck of it - and that's how they were looking at it. Players regularly get into fights and regularly get injured. I'm sure he didn't mean to wound him so badly.. I mean, for cripe's sake, the guy was crying after he realised what he did!

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-03-11, 1:34 AM #20
Who cares? The players enjoy playing the sport, and I bet they all damn well enjoy fighting with the other teams. The crowd loves it, too. Just because you're an uptight pansy that wants the world to be all civil and chirpy, don't try and spread your boringness to an incredible and enjoyable sport that thrives from good old fassion violence. An F1 driver doesn't go into a race expecting everyone to stay in the right lane and indicate when turning - no one should expect simular from ice hockey.

(Please note: this post was not directed at any individual that has or will post in this thread - I just hate it when everyone has to lose out on something that's been practiced for years, and is accepted by the practitioners, just because some bureaucratic bookworm doesn't like it.)

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance

[This message has been edited by Jin (edited March 11, 2004).]
2004-03-11, 5:47 AM #21
Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
2) You statement is lacking any clear structure or grammer. Please add these things.</font>

Sweet irony...
/fluffle
2004-03-11, 6:39 AM #22
I still say hockey ethics aside this guy should have his *** thrown in the slammer.

------------------
Don't be unwise judge me not by my size. You wont believe your eyes watch the xwing rise!
2004-03-11, 10:20 AM #23
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpdDcyMnNwBF9TAzk1ODYxODgzBHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=ap-bertuzzispunch&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bertuzzi was suspended for the rest of the season, playoff included. Reevaluation at the beginning of next season for possible more punishment. That fits pretty well hockeywise. There's going to be a criminal investigation as well looking into assualt. I doubt he'll go to jail as just about all of hockey can be constituted as assualt (body checks, any penalty for cross checking, etc). If it goes to trial, he'll get probation.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-11, 11:55 AM #24
I think it's bull, he should only have been out for the rest of the season. I really like Bertuzzi because he's an excellent hockey player, but he COMPLETELY stepped over the line here. The thing that pisses me off is that if his neck wasn't fractured, nothing would've come of this. (5 minute major?) I don't even think the punch broke his neck, although it's very possible that it did, but getting slammed to the ice with 2 200+ pound hockey players on you is really going to do some damage. Moore didn't even get one game for what he did to Naslund.

------------------
Eat the pudding.
2004-03-11, 12:16 PM #25
The broken vertabrae (luckily there was no damage to the spinal cord or nerves) makes this situation more servere than just a bloody nose. Sure, two-three other people jumping on didnt help any. But they wouldnt have jumped on if the first guy didnt throw a bunch to the face and slam him to the ice.

------------------
"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints." - Il Duce, The Boondock Saints
2004-03-11, 12:50 PM #26
Which never would have happned if Moore hadn't knocked out Vancouver's best player in the previous matchup . . .

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-11, 12:53 PM #27
I'm still waiting for golf to be turned into a full contact sport.

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-03-11, 12:55 PM #28
I'd watch full contact golf [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-11, 1:25 PM #29
I say fire the hockey player who beat up the other one.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-03-11, 2:10 PM #30
I would like to see a kung fu fight in a hockey game....
2004-03-11, 2:12 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wuss:
I'm still waiting for golf to be turned into a full contact sport.

</font>

buy outlaw golf. i think they have fights and such in that.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-03-11, 2:14 PM #32
You can beat up your caddy

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-11, 2:21 PM #33
*yells at a golf ball on the green that's right next to the hole* That is your home! Why don't you want to go to your home!? Are you too good for your home!?

------------------
"The only way to behave to a woman is to make love to her, if she is pretty, and to someone else, if she is plain."--The Importance of Being Earnest
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-03-11, 3:09 PM #34
Happy Gilmore reference #2

------------------
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!