Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → UK Imported Cartoons
UK Imported Cartoons
2003-12-12, 5:44 PM #1
I'm looking to buy Season Edition DVD's or Video Cassettes of a certain cartoon that is still airing in the UK, but was discontinuted in the US about 3 years ago... the name of the particular show is 'The Three Friends And Jerry' if any of you UK Massassians could help me that would be outstanding, I've been looking for a place to buy the Season Editions for a long time now, (i think) this is a hilarious cartoon and... well... any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2003-12-12, 6:17 PM #2
I'm questioning whether or not a UK DVD would work on a Region 1 DVD player.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
Jack Chick preaches it
NMGOH
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2003-12-12, 6:19 PM #3
Oh crap I forgot about that... :/

------------------
2003-12-12, 6:38 PM #4
Didn't they structure it so that higher regions can play lower regions?

The *******s put Australia in Region 4... but we showed 'em by de-zoning our DVD players! Hahaha!
2003-12-12, 11:52 PM #5
Never heard of it, but I haven't heard of much anyway [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-13, 9:55 AM #6
*bump* Any more help you guys? I'm getting GIDDY!

------------------
2003-12-13, 11:08 AM #7
Pulled this off google:

DVD Regions Explained
Apr 26 '00 (Updated Jun 15 '00)

Establishing separate regions on DVDs is one of the smartest things the movie industry has done. It has seemed to infuriate numerous consumers and consumer groups while simultaneously violating the laws of a few countries. Despite these problems, the movie industry has managed to prevent other bigger problems from occurring.

What are DVD Region Codes?
A DVD will have one of seven region codes encoded on it. These seven codes represent different regions of the world: #1 United States and Canada, #2 Japan, Europe, South Africa and the Middle East, #3 Southeast Asia and East Asia, #4 Australia, New Zealand, some Pacific Islands, Central and South America, #5 Indian Subcontinent, Former Soviet Union and Africa, #6 China, and #0 no region.

A DVD with a region #2 code on it will only play on a #2 DVD player. The same goes for the other region codes, except #0. Thus, if an American purchases a DVD in Australia (#4) and takes it home, they will not be able to play it in their #1 coded DVD player. On the other-hand if you purchase a #0 encoded DVD you will be able to play it in every DVD player regardless of the region coding.

Why Did They Make Regions?
When studios initially release a movie in theaters, the first country to see it is usually America. Six months later, (more or less) theaters in Japan and Europe show their first screening, six months after that Asia, and so on following in the order of region codes. Meanwhile, 6-18 months after a studio releases a movie in America, the American DVD (region #1) is released for home viewing. What often ends of occurring, is that Americans and Canadians have the opportunity to own their own personal copy of a movie before someone in China can see it in a movie theater.

This in itself is not a big problem, where the problem lies is in the potential for cashing in on the time difference. With the explosion of the internet, people in America (if the codes were not implemented) could have bought American DVDs and sold them to people in China who in turn would not go to the theater to see the movie. This time lag, without region codes, would have meant tremendous box office losses (or lack of gains) in other countries.

Region codes also allow studios to sell their DVDs to match different market demands. In some countries, where per capita income is lower and consequently people have less disposable income, DVDs are priced less. Conversely, in America where people have more disposable income and where the demand for DVDs is greater the prices are higher.

Some would make the argument that “Since the studios can sell the DVDs for less in other countries, they are just gouging Americans.” And I would agree with that statement in part. But really folks, especially those who have not studied economics, if people are willing to pay a high price then why would you lower it? If people were willing to buy rocks from my backyard for $1000 a piece, heck I would sell them. I would make a killing. In economics, price plays a small part in determining cost.

I will admit that region codes are bad for the consumer, but from the standpoint of the studios, it is quite smart.

What Can the Average Consumer Like Me Do?
There are basically two options; accept the region on your current DVD player or change the region on your DVD player to #0--so you can play all DVDs. Since the region on almost any DVD player can be changed it is only a matter weighing the risks and the benefits. From what I have read, attempting to change the region codes on stand-alone DVD player will render the warranty void. Thus, if you screw-up you’re down one DVD player.

There is also a web-store (is that the right term) that sells “doctored” DVD players. Www.codefreedvd.com sells Panasonics, Sonys, Toshibas, Pioneers, and Yamahas that carry a lifetime guarantee on being able to play all DVDs. In regards to computer DVD players, there is a bunch of software and notepad files on the net, that will help to make your computer DVD drive read all DVDs. (check the codefreedvd site)

Recently, I have been pondering whether I should make my computer DVD region free. Considering that I have never touched nor even seen a DVD of a region other than 1 or 0, I do not see much point. (Except maybe so I can say “I got a DVD player that plays a discs.”) And to some people this makes a difference, but to me, its just more data that I can potentially screw-up on my computer.

If on the other-hand you plan to purchase DVDs from other regions (which might or might not be illegal) then making your DVD player capable of playing all regions is the best and cheapest way to go. There is also rumor that DVDs from certain regions are of a higher quality than those of other regions. From what people have told me, there is no difference in quality. Some people have noticed though, that a DVD of a particular region may have more features (and scenes) than those of other regions.

Law Breaking
According to OpenDVD.org, DVD players with region codes are illegal in New Zealand. Additionally, DVD regions are rumored to violate certain World Trade Organization laws. I do not have access to the WTO laws, and I have not seen the actual passage which states the law, so I cannot verify this rumor. If anyone finds information on this, PLEASE email me.

Conclusion
DVD regions are a real tricky thing to deal with. In my opinion, it only seemed a matter of time before people found a way around them. In addition, as I recall, most DVDs in America have the language “for sale and distribution only in the United States of America and Canada.” Basically, I think this means that purchasing a region #1 DVD binds the purchaser to only sell the product in the USA and Canada. Thus, if you decide to sell it to some guy in Beijing, China, you have violated the agreement.

I would also like to point out that I live in America. Because of this, I usually have the opportunity to purchase DVDs before people in other countries can (legally) and I am not complaining. I do also realize that there is a certain level of rebellion associated with circumventing the region codes. Additionally, I believe that all the information I have provided in this review is in accordance with all laws. If you feel that I am presenting information that infringes upon any legal body please e-mail me to correct it.

--SirMontego, look for me on battle.net
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2003-12-13, 11:16 AM #8
I stated before that I am also willing to buy VHS tapes... (unless they have those region laws on them too)

------------------
2003-12-13, 12:36 PM #9
I doubt that VHS has region codes.

------------------
All the prism in the world couldn't make hue.
2003-12-13, 12:55 PM #10
Eh. They kinda do. You can't play US tapes in a Euro VCR and vice-versa, unless you've got a universal VCR. It's the VHS and PAL system.

www.play.com and www.blackstar.co.uk are pretty good online UK based region 2 DVD stores.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2003-12-14, 5:17 AM #11
Actually, VHS is just the name of the tape system (as opposed to BetaMax or whatever).

The competing styles are NTSC (USA, Japan) and PAL (Europe, Australia). I forget what the difference is, exactly, but I think that NTSC picture is larger, but PAL has a better framerate.

I could be wrong, though.

↑ Up to the top!