Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Win2k Can't Load >:-(
Win2k Can't Load >:-(
2003-12-10, 5:06 PM #1
Mmk yesterday we kept having these power failures, like 10 of them in a row for various lengths of time. Regardless, the first one seems to have buggered my win2k boot somehow.

Like regardless of what i try [safe mode, last known good config, debug mode, and so on] it always comes up with this screen abuot halfway through the win2k boot progress [the second graphical one, not the first one with the |||| whatever at the bottom]:

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xFCD56C90, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this message, please reboot. If you have seen this more than once, please scan for viruses, and run chkdsk /f and try booting again, or some similar nonsense. Which is bollocks because how the hell do i chkdsk or virus scan if i can't even get it to boot to windows at all.

Now it boots fine into linux which is where i currently am, and i can access my winnt drive mount just fine [which is fortunate as i had my homework for the next day saved there].

So needless to say i'm a bit perplexed and vexed.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
Applecore scowled. "What does that mean, 'real'? Amn't I real, you? If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you piss me off, will I not kick you up the arse?" -War of the Flowers
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2003-12-10, 5:55 PM #2
Well, when I installed RAM one time this unwittingly happened to me. My HDD got unplugged, and so it couldn't read it...so I take it this means that your drivers have been confuzzled somehow. See if you can't sort that out...

To quote a great man--Should work.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2003-12-10, 6:05 PM #3
See i didn't do or change anything, wasn't switching motherboards [as most of the references to that error seem to be about] or installing ram or anything. Just power outtage.. then that. Every time.. regardless.

And i don't in fact have the install cd [no it's not warez ok..] currently.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
Applecore scowled. "What does that mean, 'real'? Amn't I real, you? If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you piss me off, will I not kick you up the arse?" -War of the Flowers
2003-12-10, 8:32 PM #4
The Win2k boot information must be corrupted... I'd say you'll have to do a reinstall, so start looking for that cd
2003-12-10, 8:56 PM #5
You can use linux to run a scandisk (or something similar), I'm sure. What filesystem do you have (fat32, fat16, or ntfs)? That would tell you what tool you need. If you can boot a win2k rescue disk, you can probably run the windows scandisks, and also you can probably run the system restore utility (which scans for corrupted system files and fixes them). Try to get ahold of a win2k rescue disk.
2003-12-10, 9:04 PM #6
Try http://bootdisk.com/

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-11, 2:06 AM #7
You can fsck fat32, Im sure, but I seriously doubt it will work with ntfs.

Your boot sector might have been fudged. Youll need a Win2k repair or install disk to fix it.

------------------
Fight the future.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2003-12-11, 9:36 AM #8
Well It's my C drive obviously that Win2k is on, so it's NTFS.
I dl'd that bootdisk, and dd if=CDBOOT.IMG of=/dev/fd0 to get it on there, it booted that setup thing properly but then asked for boot disk 2 or summat, which i presume is made by the bootdsk program thing they had on there as well which i obviously can't run seeing as i can't get a command prompt. Meh, we shall see. Thanks Evad et al. Not sure really how much more i can do until i can get the install cd again.

Kinda disappointing because my D drive [which linux absolutely refuses to run from or mount, superblock devilry i guess] is where my gentoo iso's are that i had wanted to install once classes were over.

------------------
2003-12-11, 9:53 AM #9
Try popping in the Win2k CD, and running the recovery Console. When you get in there, run the fixmbr commands and stuff.

NOTE: When you do this, IF you had LILO installed for boot options, you will no longer have it. Win2k will retake control of the hard drive. But if you have a linux boot disk, you can just boot back into linux and reinstall LILO without a problem.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2003-12-11, 10:24 AM #10
During boot up, press F8 to bring up a menu before Windows 2000 loads. Select Safe-mode and see if that works. If so, you have corrupted drivers which you can safely reinstall.

If Safe-mode doesn't work, it's either a hardware fault or Windows 2000 is seriously corrupted.

Raynar
Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Raynar - the man with a 10.75" ePenis
2003-12-11, 5:05 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
...Kinda disappointing because my D drive [which linux absolutely refuses to run from or mount, superblock devilry i guess] is where my gentoo iso's are that i had wanted to install once classes were over.</font>

Is that drive NTFS? Add '-t ntfs' to your mount command.

------------------
Fight the future.
2003-12-11, 5:29 PM #12
No, that drive is a 60G drive of some sort [i really should look up its type]. It has never worked with slackware at least. Booting zipslack from it returned some error about superblocks, which seems to be the same issue that slackware has with mounting it.

dormouse@kipple:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hdf1 /mnt/wind
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdf1, or too many mounted file systems

Silence and i spent quite some time trying to get that to work to no avail.

------------------
2003-12-11, 5:31 PM #13
Does your kernel support NTFS? It likely has fat16 & 32 support, but NTFS support is fairly new.

If the drive *is* NTFS, and you kernel lacks support, youll have to recompile...

------------------
Fight the future.
2003-12-11, 5:50 PM #14
I'm very certain my D drive [where the gentoo isos are stashed] is not ntfs. It pre-dated my win2k install and pointedly did not upgrade the fs. We did in fact dl and recompile the kernel that should lend support for vfat, but didn't seem to help any.
[And it has no problem mounting the ntfs C drive.. sew..]

For that matter, this is the same d drive that crashed Windows 2000 every time i tried to defrag it with either the drive manager utility or nortonsystemworks 2004. Norton Disk Doctor checked it out completely kosher though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited December 11, 2003).]
2003-12-13, 9:40 PM #15
Um. So. Yeah. I have the install cd now. Boot from cd. Goes through the whole loading drivers and so forth. And-- exactly the same bsod. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

I do not seem to have this disaster recovery console, what i've been able to google on it seems to be summat that i would have needed to install seperately back when was installing win2k in the first place, which helps extraordinarily little as it stands.

So needless to say i'm more than a little perplexed and a bit put out.

In the distance i can hear the baby Jebus crying..

------------------
2003-12-13, 9:56 PM #16
Why don't you pick up a spare drive, set it as primary, load your OS fresh on that, and mount your real drive separately?
2003-12-14, 4:10 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Does your kernel support NTFS? It likely has fat16 & 32 support, but NTFS support is fairly new.

If the drive *is* NTFS, and you kernel lacks support, youll have to recompile...

</font>

Either way, mounting NTFS as -rw is a VERY bad idea. Read only is plenty safe, but the NTFS spec for it is so new, writing can seriously corrupt stuff.

Also, if the drive is accessible at all, the Win2k disc should be able to load the emergency recovery data it needs from the windows installation. If it can't detect a windows installation, win2k is probably so fugged up that it is nearly impossible to fix without a good format.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2003-12-14, 7:27 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Either way, mounting NTFS as -rw is a VERY bad idea. Read only is plenty safe, but the NTFS spec for it is so new, writing can seriously corrupt stuff. ...</font>

Can? it does, always. There are tools you have to run afterwards to clean up the damage, and run win2k to allow it to repair the rest.

I never mount NTFS drives as -rw. I just mount them as read-only, pull off any data that I need, cfdisk it, and reformat it with ReiserFS or the like. To hell with NTFS.

------------------
Fight the future.
2003-12-14, 8:41 AM #19
It can detect the install and such. Goes through the windows setup cd boot thing, loads the drivers, gets to loading windows, gets as far into the graphical windows logo startup bar thing and goes to that bootable error anyways.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!