Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Evil Genius game
Evil Genius game
2004-10-01, 7:09 PM #1
So, I got this game yesterday, and I LOVE it.

It's.. so fantastic. The traps, the minions and henchmen.. they're all great. It's shaping up to be a fantastic game. Anyone else have it?

Mmm. I love this game. It's so much fun...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-01, 8:04 PM #2
You probably have to interrogate him with someone (hencman? boss? number 2?) standing nearby.

Is it more balanced than the demo? Are the traps really that fun and intuitive?
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-01, 8:09 PM #3
I figured it out.

And it is a lot more fun. I just got to the next 'level,' and so I'm getting a bunch of new traps soon.

But let me tell you... the Wind Machine and the Gas Cage Chamber are sooo much fun...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-02, 5:57 AM #4
I oredered it off play.com and it should be here on monday
nope.
2004-10-03, 9:47 AM #5
So, last night my interest in this game was waning. I hadn't gotten any new traps or anything in a while.. and it was getting difficult without them.

And then... I obtained the 'Prometheus's Revenge.'

[http://www.zaccohn.com/genius1.jpg]

I love this game.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-03, 9:52 AM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by happydud

My only problem is that I'm up to the Nikita Leonov mission, where you have to coerce him into joining you... and I have no idea how to do that. I've interrogated him, killed him, weakened him to 0 mentally... I've been playing for hours, and I don't know what to do. Any help?

I think thats the dude you have to put in the thingy in the kitchen.
2004-10-03, 10:07 AM #7
Yeah, I figured that out.

My only problem with the entrance to my lair (the above flame traps and more) is that sometimes a minion tends to set them off... The worst instance was when a single minion caused me to lose 28 minions, 4 soldiers, and a scientist.

But it was soooo worth it..
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-03, 1:53 PM #8
I have the demo. :p Lotsa fun.

2004-10-03, 5:30 PM #9
I just got it today. Pretty fun so far.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-10-03, 7:26 PM #10
How do you increase your capacity of people?

Mine seems to be stuck at 14.
2004-10-03, 7:30 PM #11
You need barracks with beds and lockers. Try building more.
2004-10-07, 11:34 AM #12
Also your notoriety affects it.

I have a question.. I've linked some wind traps, blowing the guys from one trap to another, but I have a poison gas trap at the end.. though it's not timed properly, and it usually goes off before the guy is blown into it, so the guy gets blown into it, but he doesn't die, and he's just standing there in a red cloud of gas, and then walks out again. Is there any way to 'delay' the trap mechanism? I currently have it linked:

sensor -> wind trap -> another wind trap -> another wind trap -> poison gas trap.

What difference does it make if I just link them all straight to the sensor?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-07, 1:23 PM #13
You can only have a certain number of things linked to a certain number of different.. things. I haven't figured it quite out yet, but if you link traps to traps, then trap A has to go off (or at least become active from being set off from a sensor) in order for Trap B to activate.

There is no delay, you might want to think about investing in another pressure pad, or a motion/laser sensor, if you're that far.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-07, 3:49 PM #14
I'm not. :-(

I'm on the first map. I just got to build the laboratry, but I'm in a bit of a mess because of bad planning when I started. It seems half my base is power generators, and I keep getting people coming and blowing them up >:-|. I just had a super agent, Jacky Lee, and he's exploding everything. :-(
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-10-07, 5:08 PM #15
Yeah... they're /really/ annoying. You can kill them, but you have to figure out how yourself. So basically... You can't kill them. :p

I'd reccommend slowly rebuilding your base. I have several huge rooms that I expected needed to be big, but turned out they didn't.. So build your new room, then move the stuff, destroy the old one, etc.

I think I need 7 more noteriety points to move to the next map.. which I need... A lot.. because my base layout sucks as well. :p

If anyone finds out how to kill a superagent, post it. (Probably in spoiler tags) It gets quite annoying when you lose your entire defensive grid, two henchmen, all of your soliders/mercs, most of your scientists, all your valets, and most of your workers...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-07, 5:25 PM #16
Is it just me, or is the main menu music really kickass?

Also... does anyone have some tips for setting up traps? Either I'm doing them wrong, or no enemies are walking into them.
2004-10-07, 6:03 PM #17
Hmm.. whenever i instlal the demo, i get a dll not found error. anyone know what's going on? i'd really like to play.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-10-08, 8:48 AM #18
Nooo. I lost a henchman. :-( And I can't get another one! :-(

weeps.

Also, how do you get those scientists do actually do some research? You can't put a timeclock in that room..
2004-10-08, 12:43 PM #19
Mort- A) When the Super Agents come, your henchmen run like hell. That's my strategy..

B) If you have a lab, you need to get some lab equipment. First, make sure someone steals the fake research machine you build. Then build a real one, and then whatever else you can buy for that room, and then the research tab should be open (fourth tab, next to your People screen). From there, click on the objects that appear at the top of the screen, and they should then appear inthe middle. The number below them is how many machines you must use for it. Click that number of machines from the 7 (8?) possible surrounding it, and then hit "Go." Only one machine will give you a result. If you hit "pay," you can find out which won't work, but for a price.

Noble- I don't know what to tell you.. What DLL is it? Maybe (if you have XP pro SP2), I can send it to you.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-08, 1:41 PM #20
Quote:

B) If you have a lab, you need to get some lab equipment. First, make sure someone steals the fake research machine you build. Then build a real one, and then whatever else you can buy for that room, and then the research tab should be open (fourth tab, next to your People screen). From there, click on the objects that appear at the top of the screen, and they should then appear inthe middle. The number below them is how many machines you must use for it. Click that number of machines from the 7 (8?) possible surrounding it, and then hit "Go." Only one machine will give you a result. If you hit "pay," you can find out which won't work, but for a price.

[/B]

Yes, I've done all that. (I was quite pleased at my evil stratergy of placing the fake research machine in the top shack). They have researched two or three things, but it just happens so...slowly. I don't have anything in the bar at the top (I know when I do, the button starts flashing).
The scientists seem to research when they want to, but do anything and everything else most of the time. Carrying bodies, control room, all the stuff that the yellow folks should be doing. How do I force my science guys to research? Do they have to max up any particular stat?

Also.. The mess hall, that replenishes endurace, and the barracks also replenishes endurance. Considering the multigym works both day and night, do I not need the mess hall anymore?
2004-10-08, 2:02 PM #21
I think you need both. They get angry if they don't have food, I think.

And your scientists actually are doing stuff. If you read somewhere, it says they're observing how things work, as well as carrying bodies, etc. So they wander around your base, and study a door, then take samples (???), and then carry it back to the machines, and then you can sudenly research doors!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-08, 3:33 PM #22
Hmm. Wish they'd bloody well hurry up or something. >:
2004-10-08, 6:26 PM #23
Quote:
Noble- I don't know what to tell you.. What DLL is it? Maybe (if you have XP pro SP2), I can send it to you.

I fixed it, it was something like 'd3d9.dll' and i found it in some random folder. I jsut copied it over to the riught folder and everything was fine. very strange. anyway, i finished the demo. its an aweseome game, but its so restricted in the demo that i coulnd't do much of anything. maybe 5 rooms, a handful of objects,a nd no traps! i was so sad :(. however, i'm going to pick it up as soon as i can. s restricted as the demo was, i still saw how great a game it was.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-10-09, 12:08 PM #24
How much money did you lot take to island 2?
I was hoping I'd start afresh, with a new lump of money, and new minions, and new henchmen... but no. Hrm. :-\ This is where I might be considering using the money cheat. Oh well, it's still all good. I'm loving the new stuff through research. I haven't quite worked out how to use that electric box thing trap.
2004-10-09, 6:59 PM #25
If you aren't too far into Island 2, go back and tag everything to be destroyed. You'll get much monies, apparently.

I, on the other hand... went with about 100k. Which was no were near even close to being enough.

So I sent all of my fighter minions out to the four or five 9$ areas, and was soon getting 20k a minute.. :D
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!