Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → election is soon
election is soon
2004-10-03, 9:36 PM #1
the Australian election is in 5 days time. However, we in canberra get no repreive from election campaign comercials as our local elections are one week after that.

However, the thing that makes our elections good is that voting is compulsory here. (actualy, just putting in the voting slip is, but most people dont see much point in not filling out a slip as it would just have waisted their time)

I have registered to vote already, but as I don't turn 18 for another two months, I don't get to vote this time round.

To make this legal,

How do you think The U.S would react if compulsory voting was introduced there (as well as making registering compulsory).
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-10-03, 9:50 PM #2
People would ***** and moan about it violating their civil rights
Pissed Off?
2004-10-03, 9:55 PM #3
Compulsory voting is wrong - choosing not to vote can be a conscious decision
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-10-03, 9:56 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
People would ***** and moan about it violating their civil rights
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-10-03, 9:59 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomen

then why do hardly any Australians ***** about it?

answer that mister sine.
2004-10-03, 10:06 PM #6
Its a foolish idea. It presumes that by forcing the person to vote they actually know what they want to vote for (Then again they may prefer the ignorant vote, it seems to help some politicians). If voting is made compulsory, then ignorance would reign the elections.

That is not to say that ignorant people don't have the right to vote. By all means, the ignorant and wise are welcome to vote in America. But, ignorance usually goes hand in hand with laziness. I'd much prefer an informed person to vote for something that I disagreed with than an ignorant person marking a ballot because they have to.
2004-10-03, 10:14 PM #7
Again I say, look at Australia. when people have to vote, they tend to look into things. Also, this means that we don't get peole *****ing about election results when they didn't bother to vote. Remember, some people that don't vote are perfectly knowleged but just cant be bothered to take an hour out of their day to vote.
2004-10-03, 10:17 PM #8
If there was an Anti-vote system, I don't think anyone would mind having to vote.

With the Anti-vote system, you can either elect to boost your chosen candidate's number of votes by one, or you can choose to subtract a vote from their number of votes. This would help smooth out those situations where you hate one guy and feel compelled to vote for the other guy, simply because it means that the hated one does not get elected.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-10-03, 10:19 PM #9
Compulsory voting works for Australia, but we're just more laid back than many countries and don't see it as an infringements of our rights. It's just not for every country.
2004-10-03, 10:22 PM #10
Just because it works for your country doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for another country.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-10-03, 10:40 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Acharjay
If there was an Anti-vote system, I don't think anyone would mind having to vote.

With the Anti-vote system, you can either elect to boost your chosen candidate's number of votes by one, or you can choose to subtract a vote from their number of votes. This would help smooth out those situations where you hate one guy and feel compelled to vote for the other guy, simply because it means that the hated one does not get elected.

you do know that you can vote for, god forbid, a third party candidate. if you think your vote wont matter, then vote for someone that you like even if you think they will never get into power.

that is something I hate about some americans, they would be all anarchanistic if their right to vote was taken away even if they had never voted in their life.

Tell me, why is it that lots of americans think their vote wont count? That sort of thinking is the same as saying "I am just one person, what can i do?"

[worldvision]you can do plenty.[/worldvision]
2004-10-03, 11:09 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha1
then why do hardly any Australians ***** about it?

answer that mister sine.

... I like the implication there - if Australia does it, it can't possibly be wrong! I wish it were acceptable to call people retarded on these forums.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-10-03, 11:21 PM #13
no, the implication was,

if australia does it, why can't america do it?

Actualy, I thought that question was very explicit
2004-10-03, 11:23 PM #14
... Stop talking.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-03, 11:28 PM #15
Quote:
if australia does it, why can't america do it?

Actualy, I thought that question was very explicit

This is going to be a shocker, so make sure you are sitting down, have your seat belt on and have a first aid kit ready:

Maybe, just maybe the US doesn't want to.

Is that so difficult for you to undertand?
Pissed Off?
2004-10-03, 11:43 PM #16
Less than half of Americans vote. Forcing the other half to vote would only bring a pool of ignorant people into politics, voting for people they aren't informed about. Nothing good can come of that.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-04, 1:33 AM #17
Conversely, how can you call your system of government a democracy if only half of the society is voting?
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2004-10-04, 4:49 AM #18
Alpha...
D E A T H
2004-10-04, 4:55 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomen

I agree. This is probably much less of an issue in a country with a bunch of powerful parties, but in the US, your choices are extremely limited. What if you really hate both guys and you don't want to vote for either as a statement?
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-10-04, 5:49 AM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
I agree. This is probably much less of an issue in a country with a bunch of powerful parties, but in the US, your choices are extremely limited. What if you really hate both guys and you don't want to vote for either as a statement?

Then you drop in a blank vote. Or vote for Superman or some such. Doing so is not illegal, they don't watch who you vote for.

We don't have compulsory voting in Finland, though.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-10-04, 6:24 AM #21
It's compulsory to register to vote and to turn up and be ticked off the voting role on election day, it is not compulsory to vote. You can draw a picture of John Howard bending over and taking George Bush like a man and drop it in the ballot box if you want.

Voting for a third pary is not entirely useless over here. Thier chance of getting a seat in the House of Representatives is extremely slim (although a few always do, usually in rural seats), but they can get a seat in the Senate. Senate seats are distributed by proportianal representation as elected directly (no electoral college bull****) by the entire Australian population. To put it simply, if 5% of Australians vote for the Greens, then the Greens will get 5% of the Senate seats. And the Senate is just as powerful as the House of Reps, as bills must pass through both.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-04, 7:27 AM #22
sure spork, i completly understand what your trying to say.

i am registered to vote, but i will not vote. to vote would show my support for a canadate, and i dont support either canadate at this particular juncture.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-04, 8:47 AM #23
You can just not register to vote, I'm not entirely sure how that works, but my mate's done it. There is a fine waiting for him if ever he does sign up, but nobody comes knocking on his door and such.

I prefer compulsory voting. I care about who wins or not, but if we had non-compulsory voting, chances are I wouldn't be bothered turning up.

That and the way I see it, you have so many crazy fanatics who support one side or the other, that I'd hate to see an election determined solely by the people who really really care.
2004-10-04, 9:41 AM #24
I think compulsory voting might be a bit too much for the USA, but I would support a movement for compulsory registration. After all, when we guys turn 18, we still have to register with selective service. If we go into college, there's a whole S***load of things you have to register for. Whether you turn up to vote or not should still be left to the people, though I would very much like to see turnouts of 75%+. I could insert a few partisan comments here to explain my opinion, but I don't feel like starting a flamewar today.

...No, wait, I'll insert a partisan comment here(:D): Bush is way out to the right, but that's okay... Kerry's nowehere to be seen by the center either; there's just a lot of dust arround here. I still think Jim Lehir won the presidential debate, as both candidates were taking to his style of beign calm and reserved, and not making terribly biting comments... I would've likes to see at least some arm-wrestling!
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-04, 11:39 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by The Last True Evil
Conversely, how can you call your system of government a democracy if only half of the society is voting?

The US is hardly a true democracy
Pissed Off?
2004-10-04, 11:48 AM #26
How can you call a system of government where people are forced to vote a democracy? Sounds like a dictatorship to me. To allow people their choice whether or not to vote is the most democratic notion possible when it comes to voting.
2004-10-04, 11:57 AM #27
I kind of like compulsory voting. You can still choose not to vote by drawing dirty pictures and spoiling your ballot. And Freelancer, I see it from the opposite side: maybe if people were forced to vote, a few of the ignorant ones would start following the issues.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-10-04, 12:20 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Tracer
I kind of like compulsory voting. You can still choose not to vote by drawing dirty pictures and spoiling your ballot. And Freelancer, I see it from the opposite side: maybe if people were forced to vote, a few of the ignorant ones would start following the issues.

I must agree here. I would also like to mention the poosibility of write-in candidates; For this election, you could vote for Vermin Supreme, who is in favor of mandatory tooth-brushing laws.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-04, 3:28 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
The US is hardly a true democracy

Exactly. It's funny that we often call ourselves democratic. Representative democracy maybe ...

Compulsory voting just seems so wrong to me on so many levels. Most of the reasons I believe so have already been stated in this thread.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-10-04, 4:31 PM #30
yeah, we're kind of a republic democracy or something.( forgot his government definitions.)
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-10-04, 4:50 PM #31
A Represtive Republic is what I seem to remember from AP government 5 years ago
Pissed Off?
2004-10-05, 4:33 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Less than half of Americans vote. Forcing the other half to vote would only bring a pool of ignorant people into politics, voting for people they aren't informed about. Nothing good can come of that.

again I say, it would also bring the well informed people that cant be bothered to vote and the people with the "my vote wont make a difference, so why should I bother" people.

(sorry about the late post, I haven't logged on in a while)
2004-10-05, 4:36 PM #33
But no matter what our vote -doesn't- make a difference. Really. Either way, it's a bad idea to force upon a people who have been able to choose for over 200 years.
D E A T H
2004-10-05, 4:38 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
How can you call a system of government where people are forced to vote a democracy? Sounds like a dictatorship to me. To allow people their choice whether or not to vote is the most democratic notion possible when it comes to voting.

freelancer, look up macarthy.

he also said that things that are different were evil.

How is it a dictatorship when people that own a pub are able to run in an election.

our only problem is not the compulsory voting, but the preference issue.

I cant explain it offhand, so just go to an australian news website like http://www.abc.com.au and look for the issue about family first organizing an automatic preferance with the major parties.
2004-10-05, 4:46 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
But no matter what our vote -doesn't- make a difference. Really. Either way, it's a bad idea to force upon a people who have been able to choose for over 200 years.

read a non american history book. the first of your presidents did not believe that democrasy worked.

and also, the entire u.s has only been able to vote for just under a century (see women's right to vote)
2004-10-05, 7:48 PM #36
Quote:
read a non american history book. the first of your presidents did not believe that democrasy worked.

and also, the entire u.s has only been able to vote for just under a century (see women's right to vote)

Stop talking. Just stop. They DID believe it worked, just not in its purest form. But yeah, you don't have talking rights any longer.
D E A T H
2004-10-05, 7:58 PM #37
Quote:

The US isn't a democracy, genious
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!