Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ugh... damn hard drives...
Ugh... damn hard drives...
2004-04-05, 7:29 PM #1
Recently I changed motherboards for my machine and also wanted to do a reinstall of XP. Got an external laptop drive to backup all my files and for general storage anyway. So the install on new motherboard goes fine, and same for the motherboard drivers, except that for the "USB 2.0 Driver", I need to install SP1. Well, on the backup hard drive, I had the launcher program to do that, so I go ahead and plug it in, and it gives me a message about a high speed USB device plugged into a non-high speed USB port. Something happens, not sure what cause it was about a week ago, and I end up having to reboot, or it wouldn't read.

Well, now whenever I try to plug in the hard drive, it just sits there with the write light on and I can't access anything on the computer or the hard drive. I can click on stuff, but it doesn't come up. If I unplug the hard drive, then everything will catch up.

Luckily I didn't lose any important files as I had those recently backed up as well on a CD, but I still have some files on there I'd like to get. Thinking about grabing a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE convertor, cause with it plugged in USB, I can't even access the drive to do a scandisk on it. Seems like the USB just slows it all down for some reason.

Anyone have any ideas?

------------------
The Matrix is not Linux compatible.

[This message has been edited by JudgeDredd (edited April 05, 2004).]
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-04-05, 7:38 PM #2
why not try to install SP1 to get your USB2 drivers in place properly. Then reboot the system with the drive plugged in. ...

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-04-05, 7:40 PM #3
No, see, I've already done all that and got my computer set up. When it didn't work that first time, I decided to just get the update off the Windows Update site. It still just doesn't work.

------------------
2004-04-05, 7:40 PM #4
Or if that doesn't work and you wanna free solution to get your stuff off, throw the hdd in the laptop and boot knoppix.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-04-05, 8:05 PM #5
You installes SP1 then the usb drivers? Or do you only think the motherboard usb drivers are installed...

------------------
Napalm is nature's toothpaste.
2004-04-05, 8:09 PM #6
With this motherboard as well as the last motherboard, when installing chipset drivers and whatnot, when it gets to USB 2.0 Drivers they both say "To install USB 2.0 Drivers download and install Service Pack 1."

------------------
2004-04-06, 2:09 PM #7
SP1 adds support for USB 2.0. Just like you don't have to have specific drivers to get USB 1.1 to work. (usually)

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!