Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3 released for Linux
Doom 3 released for Linux
2004-10-05, 12:05 PM #1
Many of you have been waiting for it, here it is straight from the horse's mouth, and of course the /. article.
2004-10-05, 12:17 PM #2
If I gave a rat's *** about Doom, I might consider buying it... :\
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-10-05, 12:19 PM #3
GODDAMN ****ING ATI!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Quote:
From http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/#head-1e22cc0b95deda8a065fff1eacfc4e2629fa2957 :
Currently, the game will not run correctly on ATI cards using the fglrx driver. However, the ATI developers are working on new driver releases, and eventually the game will be supported.

I haven't experimented with the [WWW]DRI drivers for ATI cards. If they implement the minimum set of features to run Doom, I would be very interested to get some feedback about it.

I NEVER had problems with their Linux drivers but this really ****ing pisses me off! :mad:
2004-10-05, 12:19 PM #4
whoop-ti-doo
nope.
2004-10-05, 12:28 PM #5
*Reboots into Gentoo*

*Loads Doom3*

*Runs and prays (have a ATI card)*

*Laughs at id's stupidity*

Runs fine on my Radeon9700 Pro...
2004-10-05, 12:30 PM #6
I guess I should've tried it before over-reacting. :p I'll download it when I get home.
2004-10-05, 12:33 PM #7
This is nice. I don't have to reboot every time I want to play Doom3 now. I wonder if I can import my savegames...
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-10-05, 12:53 PM #8
how does it work??? do you have to have the original doom 3 for windows or waht?? you can download doom 3 for linux... i dont get it?
2004-10-05, 1:17 PM #9
You can download the binaries, but you still need the game-files pak000.pk4-pak005.pk4 from the original CDs.

I've only tried the demo, but I'll only consider to buy it when they've implemented ALSA and 5.1 support.
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-10-05, 2:01 PM #10
Hm, what about performance?

The system requirements are following:

Windows:
Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or Athlon® XP 1500+ processor or higher, 384MB RAM
3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.

Linux:
Pentium III, 1Ghz, 256Mb RAM
3D card: NV10 or R200 minimum hardware OpenGL hardware acceleration 64 MB VRAM

I took both from id software. So I think it's quite a bit smoother on Linux. My PC fits the Linux requirements...almost. ATI Radeon 7200... :(
My levels
2004-10-05, 2:59 PM #11
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
2004-10-05, 3:33 PM #12
Another reason to install Gentoo :cool:
D E A T H
2004-10-05, 3:48 PM #13
OK, well i read all day a couple days back about linux and was wondering which linux i should get. I downloaded one called fedora just for the hell of it but then i heard redhat is really good as well. Now what is gentoo??? and would anyone on AIM be interested in helping me install linux?
2004-10-05, 4:02 PM #14
I'd try it... but I currently have fedora core installed on an old 10gb hard drive which is rather slow for anything like that (only runs at udma2 for some reason.) and a bit too full for installing a game as large as doom3. As soon as I get a new hard drive i'm gonna try it. The ATI drivers have worked mediocre for me so far. In GLTron, under linux i get ~140fps, i get well over 200fps in windows.

Snoopfighter: I've barely even used linux before and I managed to install Fedora Core 2 without any problems at all. Fedora is like a free version of redhat.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-10-05, 4:03 PM #15
Redhat is the precursor to Fedora. Gentoo is another system which is a ***** to install, but easier to maintain. Knoppix is a livecd (bootable disk) version of linux that allows you to try out the Debian distrobution before installing. SLAX is the same thing but for Slackware.
D E A T H
2004-10-05, 4:18 PM #16
Oohhhh you people SUCK! How come no one told me there was a Doom 3 demo out??? SOBs. :mad:
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-10-05, 4:23 PM #17
Code:
esync
emerge doom3

Okay, I played it. Same thing as the windows version except no surround sound. Runs pretty smooth. 1.0 Saved games copied from the ntfs partition work.

However, I first tried running it inside GNOME, and it was very sluggish. I recommend going into your xinitrc file and commenting out "exec gnome-session" (or whatever you use) and adding "exec doom3". It made it way faster for me.
2004-10-05, 5:35 PM #18
Hahha so you run doom3 only w/out the window manager? That's nice ;)
2004-10-05, 5:56 PM #19
Ugh, OSS is a pain in the arse. I take it back, I don't want it. I'll be happy to keep a dual-boot system just so I don't have top deal with OSS. Or does anybody how to set up OSS emulation in ALSA?

Cause the thing is, it works when I turn on OSS, but then none of my other KDE apps with sound work correctly. Arrrgh.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-10-05, 6:13 PM #20
Check out the ALSA tutorial on [url]www.gentoo.org[/url] to learn how to set up OSS emulation.

[edit] Found the full URL - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

Basically all you have to do is modify /etc/modules.d/alsa:
Code:
Code Listing 3.1: /etc/modules.d/alsa

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
# The following is only needed when you want OSS compatibility
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
And then run modules-update.
2004-10-05, 6:38 PM #21
Nope, nevermind. Don't have a /etc/modules.d directory. Tried editing my modprobe.conf file, which had similar entries, but that didn't do it. It currently looks like this:

Code:
alias eth0 forcedeth
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
alias char-major-195* nvidia

I might mention that I'm under FC2.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-10-06, 6:47 AM #22
For some reason it doesn't work on my second monitor (== big TV), although all other games do (UT, Q3, etc.). Anyone have different or similar experiences?
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-10-06, 12:35 PM #23
I just installed the demo and it works great. It's a lot more smooth than on windows, I'll post some timedemos when I get a chance. If you add those lines to the modules.conf or whatever, you'll have to reboot for them to take effect, or you can just type:

modprobe some_module

to activate them immediately.
2004-10-06, 3:39 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
... If you add those lines to the modules.conf or whatever, you'll have to reboot for them to take effect...

Brian, reboots are only forgivable for kernal recompiles (except for the few versions of Unix that allow for hot-swapable kernels) or adding/removing hardware that cant be hot-swapped. Rebooting for any other reason is grounds for sacking.

;)
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-10-06, 4:49 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
If you add those lines to the modules.conf or whatever, you'll have to reboot for them to take effect, or you can just type:

modprobe some_module

to activate them immediately.

I get a bash: file not found. Ugh, it's not worth it. I'll just boot into Windows when I want to play.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-10-06, 11:38 PM #26
Well you can't modprobe unless you're root of course ;) Also, some modules.conf are stored elsewhere, and some distros do it differently.

↑ Up to the top!