Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Half-Life 2 score...
Half-Life 2 score...
2004-10-05, 6:32 PM #1
...a 97% from PC Zone(UK), making it there best reviewed game ever, 2% greater than their old reigning champ: Half-Life.
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=809119#post809119
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-10-05, 6:34 PM #2
Excellent. That was my one big problem with Opposing Force and Blue Shift -- their soundtracks were lacking compared to the original Half-Life's.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-05, 7:07 PM #3
Mmm...they don't seem biased at all...
D E A T H
2004-10-05, 8:28 PM #4
There's a soundtrack for those games? Why haven't I heard it in the 10+ times I've played through all three?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-10-05, 8:59 PM #5
Man they sure made that new Barny one handsome fella.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-10-05, 10:58 PM #6
SCORE as in RATING as in POINTS GIVEN TO REFLECT THE GAME.

not the soundtrack. i realize a few of you realized this already

lawl.....it's late .'/
2004-10-06, 12:18 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by saberopus
SCORE as in RATING as in POINTS GIVEN TO REFLECT THE GAME.

I know that. I'm just saying... why, after running through all three varients of the game 10 or more times, have I not heard a soundtrack playing? Is there an uber secret option somewhere? Does the disc need to be in the drive? I've taken to playing without it as it's far more convienent.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-10-06, 12:22 PM #8
The disc does need to be in the drive, and the music doesn't always start (and it only plays during certain events)

I don't think you need the disc in if you're playing through steam, but I'm not sure.
Moo.
2004-10-06, 12:57 PM #9
There is music when played through Steam. I didn't like it and wanted it off but everytime I turned the music all the way down it would just randomly (or so it seemed) go back to being on again.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-10-06, 3:01 PM #10
You will not hear the music in Half-Life (which has been in the game since its release, btw) if:

1) the CD audio cable of your CD-Rom or DVD-Rom drive isn't connected or not connected properly
2) the CD Player in the Sounds and Audio section of the control panel is set too low or disabled
3) the CD isn't in the drive
4) there is something else wrong with your software or hardware configuration
2004-10-06, 3:22 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by KnobZ
You will not hear the music in Half-Life (which has been in the game since its release, btw) if:

1) the CD audio cable of your CD-Rom or DVD-Rom drive isn't connected or not connected properly

Wrongo. If you have XP, there is no need to hook up those silly cables, as the sound is transferred digitally over IDE.

Anyways, Yeah, I never noticed much music in HL. The only time I think I may remember is when the helicopter comes down and starts dropping soldiers.....or something..
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-10-06, 4:28 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by mscbuck
Wrongo. If you have XP, there is no need to hook up those silly cables

And if you don't have XP? The point I was trying to make is that people who do not hear any CD audio period are in the vast majority of cases using a Windows 98ish machine without properly set up audio cables.
2004-10-06, 4:28 PM #13
Not everyone has XP.

For example, Me. I have a copy of XP Pro SP1a sitting around, but I feel no need at all to install it as my system on my computer.
Last Stand
2004-10-06, 5:12 PM #14
Heh... when I first played Half-Life, I had my JK CD in the disk drive, and star wars music started playing instead... 'twas rather amusing
Moo.
2004-10-06, 5:39 PM #15
Hehe, I remember one time when I played through Quake's demo with my Mech Warrior 2: Mercenaries in the CD drive. The music from that game actually made Quake a better experience because of it :D
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-10-06, 6:40 PM #16
O_o

I find that quite intreguing. I'm going to try that later.
Last Stand
2004-10-06, 7:37 PM #17
Playing the Half-life / OpFor CD through winamp works too.

I don't think blue-shift had a soundtrack.
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-10-06, 7:41 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Oberfeldwebell
Playing the Half-life / OpFor CD through winamp works too.

I don't think blue-shift had a soundtrack.

It does, yes.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-06, 7:53 PM #19
Wow. Big rating. I have been waiting for another massive Half-Life SP title and it looks like it's going strong.
2004-10-06, 8:08 PM #20
I remember when PC Gamer gave Half-Life a 98%, and the only reason it didn't score a 100% is because "the scientists weren't varied enough in appearance."

However, Barney was varied enough, as were the soldiers, and the aliens...

/me shakes an angry fist at PCG
2004-10-07, 12:40 PM #21
Well the sequel gets 96% from PCGamer!
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/DMC87/f49d0793.gif[/IMG]
2004-10-07, 1:38 PM #22
Sounds good to me. Now hurry up and the get the game out already, I want to play it.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-10-07, 3:21 PM #23
Since I don't pay much attention to game magazines, given that I prefer not to shell out the money for them (
I can get enough of what I want online), I'm wondering how arbitrary many ratings are. While it's impossible to give a numerical rating without some form of bias, I prefer ones that categorize their score (such as making graphical quality account for X% of the total).

Anyway, I'm still uncertain how good HL2 will be. Games can easily be over-hyped, and I gave the original HL a mere 92% rating...
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...

↑ Up to the top!