Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → RAM, dual channel?
RAM, dual channel?
2004-10-05, 7:04 PM #1
ok i am about to purchase an order of ram off of new egg. I have been reading the reviews and I would like a total of 1 gig and to have O/C capabilites (that are good). Well what is dual channel exactly and how does it factor in?
2004-10-06, 2:27 PM #2
i cant believe i have to bump this thread, no one knows about dual channel and why some ram sticks are labeled with it???
2004-10-06, 2:31 PM #3
try doing some work for yourself, google it. im sure there is plenty of stuff about it somewhere
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-10-06, 2:37 PM #4
dual ram is fast... usually reffered to as DDR ram, double speed ram.

;)

just me who knows stuff?
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2004-10-06, 2:50 PM #5
Depending on weather your Mobo supports it, duel channel is an operating mode for DRR RAM that occurs when you have two sticks of it. DDR RAM is not duel channel, but can be operated in duel channel mode if you have two sticks of it.

You'd better check you Mobo, to see if it's compattible before you buy it. If you already have something like PC 133 or PC 100 SDRAM or if you have RDRAM, DDR will not work on your Mobo.
2004-10-06, 3:20 PM #6
Only nForce2/3 chipsets support dual channel, so only AMD processors can get dual channel capabilities. VIA has a FEW, by that I mean brand new and extremely rare, chipsets which support a feature similar, but no dual channeling. You have an Intel iirc, so you're SOL there.

Get 2x512 PC3200 Kingston HyperX, and you're gold. No setups support > 400 MHz as of yet, and they're great RAM sets. Though I only have PC2100.

:gbk:
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 3:24 PM #7
DDR RAM = Dance Dance Revolution RAM

Clearly the best choice.
Stuff
2004-10-06, 3:33 PM #8
yoshi im getting an asus p4p800-e mobo that supports dual channel, im buying some dual channel ram to, i dont really know what it does but i guess it works probaly like the h/t of the memory world.

MotherBoard

RAM

i think this is good setup but i dont know...
2004-10-06, 3:38 PM #9
I don't know if I would put too much hope into the ram for overclocking. At least I have never heard of that manufacture... go with Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, or OCZ. You get what you pay for anyway ;)
2004-10-06, 3:39 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Only nForce2/3 chipsets support dual channel, so only AMD processors can get dual channel capabilities. VIA has a FEW, by that I mean brand new and extremely rare, chipsets which support a feature similar, but no dual channeling. You have an Intel iirc, so you're SOL there.

Get 2x512 PC3200 Kingston HyperX, and you're gold. No setups support > 400 MHz as of yet, and they're great RAM sets. Though I only have PC2100.

:gbk:

............. What? I have a Intel 865PERL motherboard thats at least 2 years old and it supports the dual channel mode.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-10-06, 3:41 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
............. What? I have a Intel 865PERL motherboard thats at least 2 years old and it supports the dual channel mode.

*pssst! he is insane :p *
2004-10-06, 3:43 PM #12
the ram is pretty much unheard of... its a new make, but as far as o/c it im not too concerned since 3200 should be plenty fast, and with the heat spreaders they probaly have a little leeway to get to 3500... who knows, O/C my p4 2.8E is my main concern.

A 875P chipset MOBO

Anyone know whats the better chipset 865PE, or 875P?? Anandtech dosnt really have to much info comparing the too besides garbage thats a year old. There AMD fanboys now anyways...
2004-10-06, 3:46 PM #13
I don't think there is much to worry about on overclocking the P4, just get a good cooling solution. Prescotts longer pipeline increases its overclockability.

And I don't know a whole lot about ram... but I am not sure if those are great timings either :\
2004-10-06, 3:48 PM #14
I have no clue what the timings are about, is higher good? Some are just CAS 3, some are 2-3-3-6 and **** i have no idea what its about, I want a gig of ram thats supports Dual Channel (THIS IS NOT DDR) of DDR3200 Ram...
2004-10-06, 3:51 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Snoopfighter639
Anyone know whats the better chipset 865PE, or 875P?? Anandtech dosnt really have to much info comparing the too besides garbage thats a year old. There AMD fanboys now anyways...

875, but 865PE is an excellant chipset, I had one. The 875 was the major high end of Intels P4 chipsets (now its like the 925...) but the 865PE is still a good chipsets, there are minimal differences between the two, in terms of performance. (I think it is just stuff like RAID support, and gigabit LAN, correct me if I am wrong)

And lower mem timings are better.
2004-10-06, 3:52 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by finity5
I don't think there is much to worry about on overclocking the P4, just get a good cooling solution. Prescotts longer pipeline increases its overclockability.

And I don't know a whole lot about ram... but I am not sure if those are great timings either :\

Prescotts run VERY hot:

Quote:
Hardware Analyse
Thus we decided to try this new processor in a typical work environment, a mid-tower case with all the lids in place and fastened securely. It then quickly became apparent that the Prescott was already idling at over 50 degrees Celsius, which meant the fan was spinning at full speed most of the time. But that wasn’t all; by stressing the processor to 90…100% usage the temperature continued to rise above 60 degrees Celsius and finally settled at 69 degrees Celsius.

Intel's 865 chipset is VERY good, its the exact same board as the 875 but with minor differences. Just go for the one that is cheapest, because the performance difference between the two boards is negiable.
a stroll to my step;
2004-10-06, 3:52 PM #17
I know, notice I said "Get a good cooling solution" :rolleyes:
2004-10-06, 3:55 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by finity5
I know, notice I said "Get a good cooling solution" :rolleyes:

I kinda messed up there, what I MEANT to say was, the longer pipelines don't increase its overclockability.
a stroll to my step;
2004-10-06, 3:57 PM #19
Already bought aftermarket fan, and i plan on having at least 5 case fans. Seriously i understand Prescotts run hot, thats basic knowledge, and stock my processor would get ran by a northwood but i plan on o/c at least 400mhz, maybe more if i ever get into one of the 50 dollar cooling solutions made of copper with the heat pipes and ****. Right i just have a fan that runs 2x as fast and has better heat sink then the normal. I understand my comp will be loud as hell but hey im getting 5.1 so i wont have to worry bout that.
2004-10-06, 4:16 PM #20
Okay, admittedly, I know next to nothing about intel chipsets. I do, however, know you should get the lowest CAS latency possible. The higher the CAS the worse. Steppings is a field I've not breached yet.

There's a reason they're AMD fanboys (everyone's an AMD fanboy anymore)--AMD makes better chips cheaper (for gaming), which is always good. But I'm not going to get into that here :p

Yeah, also, no chipset supports above PC3200 (unless I'm grossly mistaken) quite yet, except a very select few (I think I saw one from Asus, not sure.) Not to mention RAM overclockability isn't neccesarily something to rely on.

There's my bit o' help.
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 4:20 PM #21
MSI does, i was seriously considering buying this board as well.. its an 865PE and is really my next choice next to that ASUS...

Yoshi's wrong again :(
2004-10-06, 4:30 PM #22
Note I said on a few select boards, it does support > 400 MHz, and note the price of that board. Rather expensive. Besides that, MSI makes shoddy work.
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 4:31 PM #23
the board has gotten great reviews besides that dip**** who ****ed with the bios ruining the USB ports...
2004-10-06, 4:35 PM #24
I've seen tons of MSI's crap out--blown capacitor, melted something, SOMETHING messed up on the board. Not to mention the recent article about the guy who lost nearly his entire computer (and almost burned down his house) because his MSI board went up in flames (posted on [H]ard).
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 4:37 PM #25
Yeah... my MSI cd burner crapped out on me in less than a year :\
2004-10-06, 4:50 PM #26
wow that sucks guys, im staying away from the MSI board then... does anyone use a p4 and a 865pe, 875 chipset??? if so does anyone have a comment on what board...
2004-10-06, 5:02 PM #27
Intel's had dual channel memory for quite a while... Anything i865 (maybe even before that) or more recent has it. It's more common and has been around longer in Intel chipsets if I'm not mistaken...

Anything remotely high end from Asus or Abit will have it...
2004-10-06, 5:08 PM #28
I don't think it's been around longer for Intel. It was developed by nvidia, iirc, and they do AMD chipsets only.
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 5:18 PM #29
Don't know about NVidia developing it. nForce 2 was revealed in July 2002, about the same time the first Intel desktop chipset using it was revealed.

That's not the first instance of dual channel memory though. It's been used a lot longer in workstations and servers, so that really makes me question it originating from NVidia...

And if you want to get technical, DDR wasn't the first to use dual channel either. RDRAM also used dual channels and maybe even some lesser known standard before that.
2004-10-06, 5:36 PM #30
Now that you mention it, I found a dead MSI K7 board in the trash. It had a power transistor which caught on fire and burned through the surrounding traces.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-06, 5:41 PM #31
;)
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!