Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Vibrations needed: MIT Interview
Vibrations needed: MIT Interview
2004-10-06, 1:02 PM #1
Well, after a first rescedualing, i'm about to go have in interview with an MIT alumni in *checks watch* one hour. My grades are rather borderline for them, so hopefully, if i do well with this, it may raise my chances a bit. So, please, if you have any good vibes to spare, please send them my way.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-10-06, 1:04 PM #2
Massassi Institute of Technology?
Jeez everyone is going there.
good luck!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-10-06, 1:09 PM #3
Ask your mom for vibrations....BURNT!!!!

err, I mean good luck.
Think while it's still legal.
2004-10-06, 1:26 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by MBeggar
Massassi Institute of Technology?
Jeez everyone is going there.
good luck!

That's RIT. :p

I want to apply to MIT, as well as RIT. I don't think any of my grades are good enough to get in (I have a 3.7ish GPA), which I guess is ok, but I looked at their SAT scores..

The middle 50% of the data showed a 760-800 on the math section.

That means at least 26% of poeple there scored 800s on the Math portion of the SAT...

That's really, really scary. :p
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-06, 1:29 PM #5
You're both going to RIT, don't bother with MIT. It's becoming obvious no Massassian can avoid RIT. Your efforts are futile.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-06, 1:30 PM #6
Exactly, happydud. my SATs are only 1400 total, 710 verbal 690 math, so i'm really not in thier range, but i have to try.
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-10-06, 2:09 PM #7
good luck
2004-10-06, 2:38 PM #8
good luck too!

(post count + 1 :D )
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2004-10-06, 3:19 PM #9
I was actually planning on applying to MIT, but since they needed the SAT II's, I didn't bother. Plus, it's expensive and too far away from home.
Stuff
2004-10-06, 3:19 PM #10
Seriously... you ought to at least consider RIT. MIT is a good graduate school, but RIT has better undergraduate programs I think because the school concentrates on teaching instead of research.
2004-10-06, 5:11 PM #11
Don't send my boy to MIT the dieing mother said,
Don't send my boy to Emory I'd rather see him DEAD!
But send my boy to Georgia Tech,
tis better than Cornell,
and as for the University of Georgia,
I'd rather see him in hell!...
[/Plug]
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-10-06, 5:18 PM #12
Good luck, my grades might be adequate for MIT, but I'm sure as hell my SATs aren't.
2004-10-06, 5:50 PM #13
Well, i'm back, and i think i did pretty well. Thanks for the good vibes, everyone. My interviewer was really nice, and gave me alot of good advice, too.

Oh, and DS, about the reasearch: first, MIT isn't as heavily into reasearch as many other schools are, so it isn't as bad as that. Also, the have undergraduate research programs, and i can be in a lab doing research as early as freshman year, and, not only that, but they will either pay me or give me credits for my time, so its quite good. And, i would consider RIT, but how's their Biomolecular engineering department? All i've heard about it is Computer engineering.
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-10-06, 5:52 PM #14
I would've considered MIT, but I chose somewhere equally as expensive and much closer, lol.

Go Dores! rofl
2004-10-06, 6:13 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Noble Outlaw
Well, i'm back, and i think i did pretty well. Thanks for the good vibes, everyone. My interviewer was really nice, and gave me alot of good advice, too.

Oh, and DS, about the reasearch: first, MIT isn't as heavily into reasearch as many other schools are, so it isn't as bad as that. Also, the have undergraduate research programs, and i can be in a lab doing research as early as freshman year, and, not only that, but they will either pay me or give me credits for my time, so its quite good. And, i would consider RIT, but how's their Biomolecular engineering department? All i've heard about it is Computer engineering.

I'm not sure if you mean just bio technology in general (its not really my field), but yes, RIT does have a very good Biology Department.

http://www.rit.edu/~672www/

One thing I would emphasize about RIT though... definately do not go here if you are looking for the "traditional college experience." You wont find it here. For some people (like myself) that isnt really a big deal, but RIT loses a lot of students each year because they are looking for of a "party" school... not that thats a bad thing. RIT just isnt for people who have a need to go out every friday and saturday night.
2004-10-06, 6:26 PM #16
[http://www.massassi.net/serious/naythn/ritassi.gif]

In other news, I have an exceptional alibi. RITassians will know what I'm talking about.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2004-10-06, 6:27 PM #17
Also, what determines the order of RIT dorkdom?
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2004-10-06, 6:55 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth
I would've considered MIT, but I chose somewhere equally as expensive and much closer, lol.

Go Dores! rofl

dores?
as in the commodores?
as in Vanderbilt?
yay for not posting much ever
2004-10-06, 7:05 PM #19
*nod*
2004-10-06, 7:11 PM #20
Not to hijack, but what is Rochester (the town/city) like? What other cities would it be comparable to? (I live in maryland, if anyone wants to give a local example).

I might be going up there monday for a visit, maybe I'll see someone. :p
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-06, 7:44 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth
*nod*

so that means we both live in nashville?
which would also mean you know what SATCo is?
which would also mean... uh...
i want some?
2004-10-06, 7:45 PM #22
Live in Nashville for school at least, Dickson otherwise...

And have no clue what SATCo is, lol.
2004-10-06, 7:52 PM #23
haha, thats very surprising considering its on campus
its short for San Antonio Taco Company, which is a resturaunt place thing with really good americanized mexican stuff
but yeah, its on 21st and really close to the new children's hospital
2004-10-06, 7:54 PM #24
Oh, I like never go around that area. I'm around West End most of the time.
2004-10-06, 7:58 PM #25
well, you should check it out sometime
its got good cheese
2004-10-06, 8:06 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by happydud
Not to hijack, but what is Rochester (the town/city) like? What other cities would it be comparable to? (I live in maryland, if anyone wants to give a local example).

I might be going up there monday for a visit, maybe I'll see someone. :p

Rochester is ok, but it doesnt have much of a night life. I've been downtown maybe 5 times in the 3 years I've been here... RIT isnt actually in the city of Rochester. The thing about RIT is... if you're a dork, you can find entertaining stuff to do and clubs to join. If you're a partier, then you'll probably be bored out of your mind here.
2004-10-06, 8:07 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
One thing I would emphasize about RIT though... definately do not go here if you are looking for the "traditional college experience." You wont find it here. For some people (like myself) that isnt really a big deal, but RIT loses a lot of students each year because they are looking for of a "party" school... not that thats a bad thing. RIT just isnt for people who have a need to go out every friday and saturday night.

Wait.. let me get this straight.. i tell you i have an interview for MIT, and you cation me against expecting a "normal college experience" at anouther school? Methinks you have not heard too much about MIT.
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-10-07, 1:21 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
Rochester is ok, but it doesnt have much of a night life. I've been downtown maybe 5 times in the 3 years I've been here... RIT isnt actually in the city of Rochester. The thing about RIT is... if you're a dork, you can find entertaining stuff to do and clubs to join. If you're a partier, then you'll probably be bored out of your mind here.

If there's nerdy things to do, a book store, and a technologyish store, I'm /so/ there.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-07, 3:41 PM #29
I've only been into Rochester once so far for dinner. The towns around here are nice, especially Irondequoit. Lake Ontario is only about 20 minutes away by car.
Yes there are parties, but not as many as most colleges.
I don't know about the music around here, but there seems to be a substantial hardcore scene.
Ive only been here for about a month so I don't know that much yet, but if you have questions just ask.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-10-07, 3:57 PM #30
Well, we have RIT Dorks 1, 3, 5, and 6 in here. where's number 2 and 4? Oh, and, from the positive reviews in here, i've decided i'll apply, though i'm starting much leter then i have for all my others. However, MIT and Hopkins are still number 1 and 2, so RIT will have to be pretty damn impressive to beat Hopkins.
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-10-07, 4:17 PM #31
Aha. i was lying. I'm not applying, sorry, they have no chemical engineering department at all. Heck, thier only engineering departments they have are mechanical, electical, and computer. No, sorry, i'm sure thier good, but i'm not going.
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-10-07, 4:23 PM #32
/me quivers

↑ Up to the top!