Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Two questions:
Two questions:
2004-10-06, 4:56 PM #1
What would you recomend for a FTP program, and a CD burning program.

Currently, I have smart FTP. But uploading it tedious. First I have to minimize the window, drag something in a certain tab, drag it to another window, switch tabs, and click upload
MEH! It's starting to get annoying now that I'm working with my webpage again.

And .. CD burning programs. It's also a DVD burner.. so a program that would do that as well would be nice. I've yet to find a good one... I don't know what the 'good' ones are.. I'm just searching download.com for "burner' and get all these crappy things with trials and such and limited access.
So what's is a (even if its the full version) good program for burning?

thanks
2004-10-06, 4:59 PM #2
I don't know of any good free ftp clients but ftp voyager is pretty neat. You can get a 30 day trial.... And it's not very secure, you can put your clock back and you can keep using it :P

As for cd burning program, I use nero and i'm pretty sure it can burn DVD's too.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-10-06, 5:02 PM #3
SmartFTP lets you copy and paste.

When I'm really lazy, I just use internet explorer. Open it up, and in the address bar put:

ftp://login@server

And hit enter. A window will popup allowing you to enter your password (I dont include my password in the address for security reasons).
2004-10-06, 5:03 PM #4
Nero 6--CD and DVD burning prog
LeechFTP--leetest FTP prog ever.
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 5:03 PM #5
CD burning = Alcohol 120% - as it also comes with a virtual drive so you don't need to run a CD.
2004-10-06, 5:18 PM #6
DJ.. that ftp program doesn't work for me.. won't connecty.
All the same info exactly, I copied it from smart.
2004-10-06, 5:33 PM #7
What's that one CD burning software, like DAO or something that's free? I don't think it's DAO or TAO but a pun of those acronyms.

FileZilla I like most for FTP.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-06, 5:36 PM #8
Well you suck. I've used it multiple times--no problems.
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 5:47 PM #9
Free would probably be a benefit... e.g. not Nero or Alcohol
2004-10-06, 6:08 PM #10
What's wrong with Nero? He said in his original post "Even retail or full versions".
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 6:09 PM #11
Emon: burnatonce?
2004-10-06, 6:18 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
What's wrong with Nero? He said in his original post "Even retail or full versions".

Nothing wrong with Nero, but free is always better if the program's good
2004-10-06, 6:52 PM #13
For FTP, I used to use CuteFTP. More recently though (as in the last year or two years) I've just been using the IE way of doing FTP. Only instead of opening IE, I just made a shourtcut to my FTP in Network Neighborhood.

For burning stuff, I like to use matches and gasoline.
Oh, CDs...

Short story. I live right across the street from a middle school. So during the summer, I was walking around up there out of boredom. As I passed the dumpster, I noticed about 30 smallish boxes stacked up around it with the HP logo on them. I walk up out of sheer curiosity, and find out that the school apparently recently installed CD Burners in some of the computers. In the box I opened, was an Easy CD Creator 6 Installation CD. I took it. They threw it out, which means they don't want it. I do.

So, two months ago after building my new computer, I need a program for burning because no way was I using the generic garbage that shipped with the burner. I grab my acquired version of Easy CD Creator, and note that it says "Only for use on HP/Compaq computers." I figure, "What can I hurt?" I pop it in, and it proceeded to install the full program, perfectly. No serial numbers or anything.

So I use Easy CD Creator. I don't care what you people think of it. It does what I need it to do. Burn CDs. And it does it in a way I like.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-10-06, 6:55 PM #14
It's a decent product...Nero's a bit cheaper, and a lot better, and covers burning DVDs and Images much more thoroughly.
D E A T H
2004-10-06, 6:59 PM #15
For FTP I'm currently using CoreFTP - it's free and has all the features I need. I use to use LeechFTP but found it kept on crashing on me and dumped it.

For burning, I still find Nero to be the best for me for CD's and DVD's.

Raynar
Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Raynar - the man with a 10.75" ePenis
2004-10-06, 7:06 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Ictus
Emon: burnatonce?

Nod.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-06, 7:08 PM #17
For ftp, I use WinSCP,if only because the University insists on secure connections. But it is a very good program.

For burning under Windows, I use Nero. Unfortunately, the version I got came with one of my burners, and works only with that burner. This wouldn't be so bad, except that it's a CD-RW, so I can't burn DL DVDs under Windows.

Solution? I installed Fedora Core 2 and use K3b. It seems to be faster, and I have yet to have any problems with it. So yeah, for burning, if you have a linux partition, go K3b.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.

↑ Up to the top!