Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Screw it, I love steam.
Screw it, I love steam.
2004-10-08, 2:37 PM #1
Okay, so I'm at my uncle's house, right? Well I decide I want to play some CS. Woe is me, he does not have it. Oh wait! Steam keeps your CD Key registered to your username! Long story short, I love the fact that you can play this game no matter where you are as long as you have Steam.
D E A T H
2004-10-08, 2:47 PM #2
And high-speed, so you can download your games.

<3 Steam.

I hate the damn "Friends" network though - it's never ****ing working.
2004-10-08, 2:48 PM #3
True that. But hey, I'm up and ready to play CS in like 5 minutes. I'm happy. It takes longer to install the game through CD.
D E A T H
2004-10-08, 2:58 PM #4
Steam is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around. What do you see? Scientists, terrorists, Guns, Bombs. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy.
2004-10-08, 3:00 PM #5
I don't care for Steam.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-08, 7:49 PM #6
Steam as a concept is brilliant, but I don't think Valve got it right. I'm still perplexed at how they managed to make it such a memory hog, even when it isn't doing anything. Gamespy didn't eat up nearly as much resources.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-08, 7:50 PM #7
When does it take up a lot of RAM? Just idle it's only 6 MB.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-08, 7:52 PM #8
Steam feels is quite nice, especially when cleansing your prepubescent facial pores.:D
2004-10-08, 7:58 PM #9
When there are more posts in the technical support then any other discussion on the steam forums that's bad. It's bad when half or those posts aren't even answered by the tech support.
2004-10-08, 8:00 PM #10
Steam can bite me until I am able to log into my account or when valve starts responding to my emails.
2004-10-09, 10:28 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Delphian
Steam feels is quite nice, especially when cleansing your prepubescent facial pores.:D

:D
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-09, 11:54 AM #12
That sounds well and good, but they could have just had a web interface that you login through a WEB BROWSER and stores your CD key on that and offers downloads. It's pointless to make a whole "Content delivery system" when the internet *IS* a content delivery system. They just break standards and make things a huge pain in the ***.
2004-10-09, 12:24 PM #13
Yes, but they also have the server browser and game loadup menu in the same program, which is nice. To load the game through a web browser, they'd have to use Active X or some dodgy crap like that, which I wouldn't like.

The one thing that really irritates me is that the server filter is too simple. I want to filter based on server rules and settings. Why would anyone want to filter based on what country the server is in, anyway? You can filter based on ping already.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-09, 2:09 PM #14
Only thing I really don't like is when they do updates to games that weren't really needed at all, but then the updates cause problems that wouldn't of happened otherwise.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-10-09, 2:16 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
That sounds well and good, but they could have just had a web interface that you login through a WEB BROWSER and stores your CD key on that and offers downloads. It's pointless to make a whole "Content delivery system" when the internet *IS* a content delivery system. They just break standards and make things a huge pain in the ***.

Yeah... especially for people who don't feel like booting into windows only to have Steam tie up your internet for hours.
2004-10-09, 9:04 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by MaD CoW
And high-speed, so you can download your games.

<3 Steam.

I hate the damn "Friends" network though - it's never ****ing working.

you can back up the files to a cd or dvd... after i get HL2 silver i'll be putting stuff on my mom's laptop so i can kill some bots in CZ
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-10-09, 9:18 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystic0
Yeah... especially for people who don't feel like booting into windows only to have Steam tie up your internet for hours.

Steam and CS run fine in WineX (CVS build), the last version before it became Cedega.

Quote:
Originally posted by DrkJedi82
you can back up the files to a cd or dvd... after i get HL2 silver i'll be putting stuff on my mom's laptop so i can kill some bots in CZ

Yeah but you don't carry that DVD everywhere, hence the utility of the high-speed connection.
2004-10-09, 9:38 PM #18
Actually... I have cedega. :) Only I can't log into my account. :mad:

It works alright, only sometimes the steam windows stop moving.

I gave up subscribing to transgaming after I realized I could just dual-boot winxp. So the download thing is a win lose situation. I could use Cedega, but it would be buggy; or I could use WinXP and deal with... winXP.
2004-10-09, 10:04 PM #19
The problem with using a web browser interface is that it'd probably be a lot less secure. We all know how many security holes IE has. If someone could break in, they could get your SteamID, CD keys, and possibly even credit card information if they did it at the right time. Of course, I'm sure it's possible for someone to do the same thing through Steam how it is now, but I imagine it'd be harder simply because it's a completely different program. thingy.

I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
Moo.
2004-10-10, 4:03 AM #20
For a big fat cow your pretty smart
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-10, 4:27 AM #21
*chews cud*
Moo.
2004-10-10, 5:31 AM #22
*sharpens blades*

Who wants steak?
D E A T H
2004-10-10, 5:58 AM #23
Don't do that to that poor innocent big fat... juicy... succulent...
mmmmm steak....
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-10, 5:58 AM #24
*raises hand* - I'll have the tender loins... ummm.... I mean....:o
2004-10-10, 6:38 AM #25
Steam sucks, it doesn't work over my proxy. :p

So I have to VNC to my home computer, run steam there, get one GCF file at a time (only 1.8gb free), e-mail them to myself, slap them in Steam over here, and hope it works. :p

2004-10-10, 5:28 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by MaD CoW
*raises hand* - I'll have the tender loins... ummm.... I mean....:o

Yeah...you're staying away from this cow. I know your kind.
D E A T H
2004-10-10, 10:50 PM #27
I'm quite thoroughly content with Steam too.

All your games are automatically kept up to date. You don't need to worry about patching them yourself going through fileplanet or whatever.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz

↑ Up to the top!