Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If OSX was ported to the x86, would you switch?
If OSX was ported to the x86, would you switch?
2004-10-09, 4:36 PM #1
The question was posed on /., and I figured Id ask it here.

Personally, I wouldnt. Ive never cared for the OS, but Im curious what you guys think...
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-10-09, 4:39 PM #2
YES YES YES.

I'm actually thinking about chipping my Xbox so that I can run OSX on it.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-10-09, 4:41 PM #3
Possibly, I would just stick with Gentoo for non-Win32 though. Might give it to family members though.

And actually I heard you can run OSX on x86 with some trouble.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-09, 4:42 PM #4
Most definitely no, even though it will never happen, for reasons covered on slashdot.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2004-10-09, 4:42 PM #5
0_o
Someone care to translate?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-10-09, 4:45 PM #6
GBK is just making words up. I CALL SHENANNIGANS!
2004-10-09, 4:57 PM #7
why won't osx work on x86 architecture?

Can you go the other way and install winxp on a mac?

I heard of something called pearpc that allegedly lets you run panther on a x86 box... don't know much about it, though.
2004-10-09, 5:03 PM #8
osx is just so much fluff. it's neat but i would start to puke from the graphic fluff after about 10 minutes.
2004-10-09, 5:20 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
why won't osx work on x86 architecture?

Can you go the other way and install winxp on a mac?

I heard of something called pearpc that allegedly lets you run panther on a x86 box... don't know much about it, though.

In theory you could port it to the x86 instruction set, but a lot of the OS is dependent on mac only hardware.

PearPC is a PPC emulator that is slow as heck from what I've read, and its possible to run OSX on it. To run OSX on an xbox, you need to run linux on it, then PearPC.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2004-10-09, 5:20 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Evad
osx is just so much fluff. it's neat but i would start to puke from the graphic fluff after about 10 minutes.
D E A T H
2004-10-09, 5:28 PM #11
It might have graphical fluff, but if you think it's worse than "My First GUI" you are an idiot.

Personally, I'd take the look and feel of OS X over Windows and any skin you can put over Windows any day.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-10-09, 5:41 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by MBeggar
0_o
Someone care to translate?
2004-10-09, 5:45 PM #13
If you could install the Mac Operating System 10.x.x on a Windows machine, would you?

See Macs and x86's use different processors, so you can't port programs or other such things from one to another, at least not easily.
D E A T H
2004-10-09, 5:47 PM #14
if you could run apple's operating system 10 on a pc, would you?
2004-10-09, 6:58 PM #15
ah. I had a feeling
yea. I Like OSX and I have to use it in school alot, so it would probably make things easier for me
2004-10-09, 7:01 PM #16
I like OSx, but it seems a little too simplified for me. Linux is a tad too complicated for my tastes, but windows falls in the middle and is about right.

The thing i don't like about macs is that they have one mouse button, plus they use that command cutton on the keyboard too, which sucks b/c I hit CTRl by habit.
2004-10-09, 7:14 PM #17
The mouse reason is completely stupid.

You can buy a cheap two button mouse for a PC. You can also buy a cheap two button mouse for the Mac. Some are even interchangable.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-10-09, 7:47 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
The mouse reason is completely stupid.

You can buy a cheap two button mouse for a PC. You can also buy a cheap two button mouse for the Mac. Some are even interchangable.

my point is, does the rigfht button even do anything in osx?
2004-10-09, 8:21 PM #19
You can configure it to...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-09, 8:22 PM #20
Yes.

Hold down control and click. You see that menu? That menu right there can be directly compared to the right-click menu in Windows.
Last Stand
2004-10-09, 8:40 PM #21
This is reason enough to hate Apple...

[http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005NZX6.01-standard.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Why? Just why?
2004-10-09, 8:50 PM #22
Quote:
Yes.

Hold down control and click. You see that menu? That menu right there can be directly compared to the right-click menu in Windows.

Inconvenient as compared to simply right-clicking.

Would it have killed apple to use a decent 2-button mouse like everyone else does?
2004-10-09, 9:24 PM #23
Quote:
Inconvenient as compared to simply right-clicking.

Would it have killed apple to use a decent 2-button mouse like everyone else does?

Which is why you spend 10 bucks on a USB mouse, and then setup the right button to do exactly that. I honestly don't even need that second mouse button. Control clicking is second nature to me on a Mac.

In all seriousness, anyone who hates Apple just because of a mouse you can CHANGE needs to die. It is quite honestly the single most idiotic reason to hate something.

I also love how a vast majority of you hate it just because. You've never sat down and used it for an extended period of time. Calling on expirence from years ago when you had to use one in grade school because it was all the media center had isn't valid. What I hate is not that YOU hate it, it's that you bash the hell out of it without hardly any idea of just what your bashing.
Last Stand
2004-10-09, 9:27 PM #24
Actually, I have to use Macs at work. I've used them plenty, and I have plenty of reason to hate them.

In my opinion, OSX is an oversimplified OS in which anything remotely advanced is hidden away as if to attempt to eliminate customization.

Its only redeeming factor is the fact that under it all, at least there's still the Unix terminal...
2004-10-09, 9:36 PM #25
I use macs at school for photoshop and things like that. Personally I like the window organization better and find it easier to brows between editing programs on the mac.
2004-10-09, 9:41 PM #26
Quote:
Calling on expirence from years ago when you had to use one in grade school because it was all the media center had isn't valid.

I currently use mac osx several times a week at uni.

Granted, it is installed on old G3 machines, so I'm willing to be very lenient on slowness. My general synopsis is that its okay, but i still prefer my windows box a lot more.

I'm also turned off to macs in general b/c of the price. For what you spend on a new g5, you can probably buy a really kickass, on-the-bleeding-edge PC, and the monitor, printer, etc. to go with it as well. Which is the better deal?

Also, some of the mac zealots out there make the linux fanatics look like nothing. Remember that guy that claimed to have gutted a mac g5 and replaced the mobo + everything else with PC components? Mac users got very upset and were probably considering hanging the poor guy by his nuts, even though it was all a big hoax.

What is it about macs that promote such die-hard fanaticism among its users? Windows users don't act like that usually. Some members of the mac community put al queda to shame in terms of all-out zeal.
2004-10-09, 9:46 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth
Actually, I have to use Macs at work. I've used them plenty, and I have plenty of reason to hate them.

In my opinion, OSX is an oversimplified OS in which anything remotely advanced is hidden away as if to attempt to eliminate customization.

Its only redeeming factor is the fact that under it all, at least there's still the Unix terminal...

Noted.
I can accept all of that.

However, your comment about the system could apply to WinXP as well. A system I loathe just because it seems to want to hold your hand all the time. Options to turn off the 'My First GUI' have always seemed to be scattered all over the place to me. It's an annoyance to find and turn all of that garbage off the first time you use it. And just as you can turn that crap off if you know where to look, you can do the same for OS X. Granted, it might not be as easy, but the ways to do it are there.
Last Stand
2004-10-09, 9:49 PM #28
Quote:
What is it about macs that promote such die-hard fanaticism among its users? Windows users don't act like that usually. Some members of the mac community put al queda to shame in terms of all-out zeal.

They're a minority. And just as die-hard Mac users can be extreme fanboys, die-hard Linux users can try to convert every soul not using Linux that they come across. No offence to gbk, but I would consider him a very MINOR example of that.
Last Stand
2004-10-09, 11:19 PM #29
I might add it alongside my version Windows64 (Longhorn).
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-10, 4:44 AM #30
Quote:
No offence to gbk, but I would consider him a very MINOR example of that.

Name one time in the last 2 months that Ive tried to convert someone. One time.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-10-10, 5:06 AM #31
You know, the portion of that sentance I found myself concentrating on was the "last 2 months" hmmmm.... :p
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-10, 5:28 AM #32
I don't get how people say that XP is always trying to hold your hand. I have Pro corp installed on my comp and it doesn't do any such thing. In fact I rather like the way it gives me freedom. It's by far the best Windows OS yet. Oh well.

And Macs just deon't have enough freeware, or community support. "But if more people were on it, there'd be more community support!" And yet, more people use Macs than use Linux, and Linux is a community support-driven OS. Hrm.

Not to mention that, but I hate the GUI. It's like someone puked cutesy.
D E A T H
2004-10-10, 6:27 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Name one time in the last 2 months that Ive tried to convert someone. One time.

Note I stressed the word 'minor'. You don't do it all the time, but you do indeed do it.
Last Stand
2004-10-10, 6:54 PM #34
It doesn't do anything that Windows or a BSD doesn't do for me, so I'm not sure if I would need it.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-10-10, 7:12 PM #35
Since Mac OS X is so extremely like Linux, I wouldn't mind using it at all. All OS X is is just Linux but much much prettier. Just go into the terminal in OS X, and anything you can do in Linux, you can do in OS X.

So, becasue OS X costs money, and Linux doesn't, I'd use Linux. However, I certainly wouldn't mind using OS X, since I love it so mcuh
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-10-10, 7:21 PM #36
No. I don't quite know what it is, but I just don't like it as much. And it's not because it's unfamiliar or anything, because I've been using Macs longer than I have Windows-based computers (I say Windows-based because I haven't really used Linux).

↑ Up to the top!