Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rally Racing is the greatest sport on earth
Rally Racing is the greatest sport on earth
2004-10-09, 6:38 PM #1
It makes a good game too:

[http://home.comcast.net/~grsardou/BeforeWheel.jpg]

I guess I should mention the game is Richard Burns Rally.
http://www.richardburnsrally.com/home.htm
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-10-09, 6:42 PM #2
RalliSport Challenge > *

Graphically, anyway.
2004-10-09, 6:43 PM #3
Not really in motion and attention to detail, also rallisport has no damage model. I ram my car into trees and hardly notice in that game.

EDIT: "You will not fail me again!", sorry, couldn't resist.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-10-09, 7:00 PM #4
Never much cared for the games (cept rallying in GT2), but yes, the WRC does indeed rule :)

I prefered it when the WRXs and McRae were firmly in charge as opposed to the Peugeots, but it's still entertaining.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-09, 7:57 PM #5
This game is the most realistic car game ever created IMO. Don't argue, just play. :)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-10-09, 10:33 PM #6
Good rally games are really fun to play. When they get the physics right and you have good force feedback, power sliding the turns is sweet
Pissed Off?
2004-10-09, 10:51 PM #7
Yeah, Rally-Racing is a sport right up there with curling.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-10, 2:12 AM #8
I assume you are referring to the fact that they both deal extensively with controlling the motion of objects in a low friction environment.

Rallysport has to have the least accurate physics of any racing game. The center of gravity of many of the cars seems to be near the roof in most of the cars, and hitting a pebble can cause a car to flip over.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2004-10-10, 4:12 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
I prefered it when the WRXs and McRae were firmly in charge as opposed to the Peugeots, but it's still entertaining.

Eh? The Peugeots have sucked this season. They haven't won a single rally this year. Marcus Grönholm is always doing alright until for no reason the gearbox or turbocharger suddenly falls apart. It's mostly just been Solberg or Loeb dominating, with Sainz or Märtin getting a few well deserved wins in between. The Subaru Imprezas are doing fine compared to the Peugeots ever since they replaced the nippy 206s with the 307s.

But yes, I agree. The WRC is my favourite automotive sport to watch these days, followed by the DTM. The F1 GP has been a bit too onesided as of late :)
[edit: one/won :o]
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-10-10, 6:43 AM #10
Reminds me of Half-Life Rally. :D

2004-10-10, 7:06 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder
Eh? The Peugeots have sucked this season. They haven't one a single rally this year. Marcus Grönholm is always doing alright until for no reason the gearbox or turbocharger suddenly falls apart. It's mostly just been Solberg or Loeb dominating, with Sainz or Märtin getting a few well deserved wins in between. The Subaru Imprezas are doing fine compared to the Peugeots ever since they replaced the nippy 206s with the 307s.

But yes, I agree. The WRC is my favourite automotive sport to watch these days, followed by the DTM. The F1 GP has been a bit too onesided as of late :)

I havent really been paying much attention this season. The rallies used to be on at 12.30 Sunday afternoons, which was the perfect time to wake up and turn the TV on. Now they're back at 11 or 11.30, and I'm always still asleep then.

F1 is really interesting if you take Schumacher out of the equation. He's won, ok no question there, but the race for second is entertaining. Hopefully Ferrari will screw something up between seasons bringing Michael back to the pack a bit. Then maybe Williams can pull something out of the bag, I'd love to see Button and Webber do really well next year.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-10, 7:24 AM #12
Watched about 3 hours of Bathurst today, then fell asleep in the F1 race...

I'm pretty sure that english WRC wrap-up program is usually on at 12:30 still Spork, I think it was just on early last week, although I can't remember why it was on early.

I'll have to have a look at Richard Burns Rally sometime then, I played RalliSport Challenge and left some kind of rant against it on the old TACC boards.
2004-10-10, 8:03 AM #13
You won't regret it, it actaully FEELS like your driving a real car. If you have 5.1 surround, you'll be in for a TREAT. Even on my crappy 2.1s, I can hear like 50 different sound effects like rattles, squeaks, the constant grinding of gravel and tire (which no racer has ever done properly), sticks and rocks hitting the underside of your car.

I could honestly go as far as saying I reccomend having your drivers licence to be able to control the car decently.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;

↑ Up to the top!