Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So you're a henchman in a nuclear silo...
So you're a henchman in a nuclear silo...
2004-10-11, 9:26 AM #1
...and the launch sequence has begun, but the launch doors have been jammed, meaning that the whole place is about to blow up.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-10-11, 9:32 AM #2
Um? What would be the point of doing anything? Also, why is the whole silo blowing up? Generally, a launch merely incinerates everything within the actualy missile chamber, not the entire silo; rooms right next to it are generally unharmed.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-11, 9:47 AM #3
Put a bullet in his pooper.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-10-11, 10:24 AM #4
Ignore / stop / shoot who?
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-11, 10:27 AM #5
Heroes die very rarely, and when they die, it's more often by boss villains than mere henchmen - so statistics speak against trying to kill him.

Trying to prevent his escape is also futile: Heroes always outsmart henchmen - otherwise the henchmen wouldn't be mere henchmen, and the hero wouldn't be a hero.

Unfortunately statistics indicate the hero escapes the explosion but the henchmen perish. However, there still lies a possibility here, if you are smart: You can escape by tricking and sacrificing some of your fellow henchmen. The most villainous henchman survives (for a while).
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-11, 10:30 AM #6
maybe use Rand(); for a variety of all three?
2004-10-11, 10:30 AM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by nottheking
Also, why is the whoile silo blowing up?

Quote:
...the launch doors have been jammed...

Anyway, I'd run for it. I didn't sign on to fight heroes :p
2004-10-11, 10:33 AM #8
Oh... LAUNCH doors... I read that wrong, so it does mean you can still run...

Given the status as a simple "henchman", the best bet would be to run. lassev summed it up quite nicely; henchmen don't kill the hero, and stopping them would be futile. BTW, just for ideas, where would this silo be located? Siberia? Kazakhstan/elsewhere in the southeaster former USSR?

BTW, There would be a simple way to prevent the annihilation of the silo, given the right tools (very possible, given that we'd be henchmen actually getting close to the hero), and enough time (mabye a minute or so, or any ammount of time that would be enough to escape from an upcoming thermonuclear blast). Just take whatever you have, and start trying to destroy the missile. If you're lucky enough to avoid detonating the conventional explosives in the device (a 0% chance while the hero is still in the silo anyway), you can remove key parts of the trigger, and preven the missile from detonating. However, if there's no system for the exhaust to escape, you'll just be incinerated with everything else in the silo. It would be better to disable the engine system, so it wouldn't launch in the first place.

...See, I wouldn't fit the role of henchman very well... I see myself more as the mad scientist or mastermind... I have the evil laugh to go with it as well. ::lets out his evil laugh::
2004-10-11, 10:36 AM #9
Don't you think that it's pure stupidity to initiate a launch if the launch door is jammed? I would think that the way it's programmed, a launch would be impossible to initiate unless the doors were very clearly open. It just seems, somehow, a lot safer to launch a missile after the door is open, rather than to launch the missile and pray the door still works.

Even if they weren't smart enough to set up a system like that, surely they would be intelligent enough to test the doors on a regular basis to make sure they still work.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-11, 10:40 AM #10
Perhaps the doors were not jammed until after the launch sequence was initiated, and the sequence was locked, so it could not be stopped?
2004-10-11, 10:57 AM #11
What's so difficult about waiting to initiate the sequence until the doors are open? Or prohibiting the sequence to be initiated if the doors do not respond, for that matter?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-11, 11:02 AM #12
I'd hate to sit next to you in a movie theatre :p
2004-10-11, 11:09 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
What's so difficult about waiting to initiate the sequence until the doors are open? Or prohibiting the sequence to be initiated if the doors do not respond, for that matter?

Correction to what I said... What if someone (say a terrorist) fixed the sequence to lock when started, and then closed/jammed the doors after the launch sequence started? Don't forget the possiblity of computer malfunction... AGH!!! Why am I arguing with you over a flippin' piece of non-commerical fiction?! WHY?!
2004-10-11, 11:31 AM #14
Yes, you debunked that argument, because terrorists could lock the initiation, then jam the doors after the fact. But, that begs the question, who's stupid enough to even design a system to lock a launch sequence? You could have a procedure that may not halt the launch sequence, but prohibits the actual launch if the doors are not open (which could be detected via sensor or a human with a manual override).
2004-10-11, 11:38 AM #15
Quote:
Yes, you debunked that argument, because terrorists could lock the initiation, then jam the doors after the fact. But, that begs the question, who's stupid enough to even design a system to lock a launch sequence? You could have a procedure that may not halt the launch sequence, but prohibits the actual launch if the doors are not open (which could be detected via sensor or a human with a manual override).

Let's just say that villians are very good... I'm still wondering why someone would want to launch the missile in the first place? Would it be the villian or the hero? Where's the missile firing from, to where?

My guess on plot:

Villian wants to nuke someplace in the USA. Villan goes to lightly-guarded USSR nuclear silo, and starts the launch. Villian is interrupted by the hero, so villian decides to try to ensure the hero's destruction while villian escapes, so they close/lock the door, and reprogram the computer (quick as villians do things) to launch the missile no matter what. Since heroes are notorius to lack in the technicality department (with the sole exception of Gordon Freeman), the hero has no clue what to do.
2004-10-11, 11:40 AM #16
Heh ehe heh. That's pretty good.
2004-10-11, 11:42 AM #17
I'd run
Pissed Off?
2004-10-11, 11:43 AM #18
Quote:
Heh ehe heh. That's pretty good.

Thank you. I've been wondering what Lord_Grismath wanted this information for, anyway... Does it pertain to the LoG?
2004-10-11, 11:53 AM #19
*spoilers etc*

1) certain notoriety levels + island 2 = super agent killing objectives.

2) before this time, to keep super agents at bay, capture them, but em in the mixer, over and over and over and over and over and over and over until their mission time is up.
2004-10-11, 12:14 PM #20
Some of you aren't thinking like henchmen at all. First off, you're a henchman. You aren't paid to think. Second, you're cannon fodder. Your life doesn't matter. But if you don't stop the hero, it's your ***.

I, as a henchman, am probably too stupid to realize I'm about to die. I'm going to try and lock the hero in, and hope reinforcements arrive to further stop him.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-10-11, 1:22 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Schming
Put a bullet in his pooper.

:D
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-11, 3:59 PM #22
Ok, Freelancer, for the sake of the argument, the hero riddled everyone in the control room full of bullets and all the control panels, too. Once the sequence had begun, the hero drained a lot of the rocket fuel, but a malfunction jammed the doors.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-10-11, 4:00 PM #23
Come to think of it, I like nottheking's scenario, too.

Yes, this somehow relates to LoG.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-10-11, 4:05 PM #24
Seppuku!
2004-10-12, 10:31 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath
Come to think of it, I like nottheking's scenario, too.

Yes, this somehow relates to LoG.

Thanks. Also, I remember seeing a screenie of some people riding a huge rocket that you showed us a week or so back...

...And yes, I know I can't think (or lack thereof) like a henchman, only as a villian. Muwahahaha!!!
2004-10-12, 4:43 PM #26
Put'a bullet'in 'is arse, Johnny!
2004-10-12, 11:13 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by nottheking
Oh... LAUNCH doors... I read that wrong, so it does mean you can still run...

Yeah I read that wrong too, thus I voted incorrectly.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz

↑ Up to the top!