Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Are psychics accurate?
Are psychics accurate?
2004-10-12, 2:25 PM #1
There is a radio show my dad currently listens to and I sometimes listened to a couple years ago called Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell(well, he's partially retired now). This show at first dealt with aliens and the supernatural, but now it has expanded into other conspiracy-esque areas. One of the reasons this show is so popular among late night listeners(it's won a few awards I believe) is because Art Bell is known for not tolerating sensationalist lies. Ironic considering it's a conspiracy theorist and supernatural activity show.

Now, he has a psychic that he introduces as "The man with more hits than a mafia hitman"(I don't remember his name. If someone could post it if they know, that would be appreciated). This psychic also has a circle of people he discusses things with that include other psychics, astrologists, numerologists, etc, etc. Now, one of the many things this guy predicted was that Bush was going to become President in the 2000 elections even before the Republican primaries started. He also said it was going to be ridiculously close(I think he even said it would come down to Florida) and there was going to be tons of controversy around it.

For this election he has predicted the Bush will win again, but it will be by a significant margin(that means beyond the margin of error to me). Frankly, I don't believe this because this presidential race is so close I think it's going to be even more controversial than the 2000 election.

Now, my dad told me about him being on a few months ago or something and he said bin Laden was dead. He said that if you look back at the battle of Tora Bora, the media mentioned almost offhandedly about a convoy going out of the battle was hit with a missle. He says bin Laden was in that convoy and that DNA from some of the pieces of flesh from the convoy was compared against the DNA of several of his family members and it was concluded it was bin Laden(actually, I don't know if it was the psychic that said the part about the DNA or the "top-notch conspiracy private eye" that was on the show that said this. I don't remember his name, so if anyone who listens to the show remembers his name, please post.)

Anyway, the psychic said there were three reasons why the government wasn't coming out with this information:

1) No one would believe them. We had the bodies of Uday and Qusay, yet there were still people that said we hadn't killed them. How do you think having bits of flesh and DNA results would be seen?

2) Announcing bin Laden's death would have made him a martyr, thus increasing recruitment into terrorist organizations and making things a lot worse.

3) "Looking for bin Laden" is a good excuse for knocking down doors over there.

Now, I'm very skeptical of all of this, but I think it was worth posting about. Thoughts?

(edit: grammar is my friend)
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-10-12, 2:28 PM #2
We'll see in a month about Bush...

I think that there are many phenomena that just can't be explained, and (true) psychics are one of them.
2004-10-12, 2:29 PM #3
everyone knows he's in the whitehouse basement
2004-10-12, 2:30 PM #4
In leather.
2004-10-12, 2:33 PM #5
Weird, and it actually would make sense on Osama Bin Laden. Hell, people said we were lying WITH the bodies of Saddam's sons for display.

Plus, him saying the election in November not being as close could be true as well. The popular vote might be close, yes...but from all the polls I'm seeing still Bush is still winning in the electoral college race, and if Bush does well - he might actually be Kerry by double digits in the EC but be close in the popular vote.

If Kerry wins, then psychic is wrong I guess.

Two predictions now! Psychic said Bush will win! And the Redskins game will announce it too! If they both agree, I think Bush has got a sure win! (If I believe stuff like this)

Let's wait and see

=)
2004-10-12, 2:34 PM #6
speaking of which, what's the theory behind the redskins thing?
2004-10-12, 2:40 PM #7
He's probably just a very good political analyst, and a fairly good actor, so he can work out likely events and convince everyone that he's psychic. I think you probably could have guessed that Florida would have been the turning point.

Theses sorts of people are usually very clever people exploiting very stupid people in order to make money.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-12, 3:46 PM #8
Redskins Theory:

http://forums.massassi.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25744
2004-10-12, 4:05 PM #9
For every psychic that is right, how many are wrong?

If there are enough of them making random guesses (not to mention educated guesses or political analysis etc) someone is going to get something right eventually and win 15 minutes of fame.

2004-10-12, 4:06 PM #10
nm
2004-10-12, 5:22 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer
For every psychic that is right, how many are wrong?

If there are enough of them making random guesses (not to mention educated guesses or political analysis etc) someone is going to get something right eventually and win 15 minutes of fame.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't really believe in psychics because they're so vague with their predictions that alot of the stuff they say can be true.

↑ Up to the top!