Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rant's and germans
Rant's and germans
2004-10-14, 2:46 PM #41
Deutschland über alles. Über alles in der Welt!
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-10-14, 4:47 PM #42
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
ERROR. BAD LOGIC. YOUR HEAD ASPLODE.

Living in an English speaking country, he should learn German to understand immigrants? Right.

Yes, it is no more rude than speaking English in Germany, which somehow negates the rudeness how?

If you went to Germany, would you learn German first? If you went with a friend and weren't comfortable speaking German, would you speak English to your friend? Or would you speak German for the benefit of anyone eavesdropping nearby?
2004-10-14, 4:53 PM #43
Ich bin in mein lieben Damefreund.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-10-14, 6:29 PM #44
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
If you went to Germany, would you learn German first? If you went with a friend and weren't comfortable speaking German, would you speak English to your friend? Or would you speak German for the benefit of anyone eavesdropping nearby?

I would learn German ASAP, he said the people KNOW English, and I would speak German as much as possible to familiarize myself.
2004-10-14, 7:17 PM #45
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689

whats the point of that argument? lets take this situation and expand on it....

Do i have german friends there? or only my english speaking friend? am i living there? or just visiting?

If i had german friends who i sat at a table with who spoke only german and both myself and my english friend spoke german, I would speak german if I knew it. if my friend spoke only english, I would spoke english thats an entirly diffrent story, if i can speak both languages and he can't i'd speak english around him speaking german if i had to to others.

if I was living in germany i would learn german and most defintly speak german, it would help me to learn more if i was speaking it to them...

again, my point is missed, think it's rude to talk to someone across from you when someone else is sitting beside you talking to someone three seats down? it'd be annoying and confusing and hard to concentrate, now in my situation... they are not only talking across the table while we are having conversations, but they are speaking in german. if it was in english i think i'd find it a bit more toleratable as it'd be less i donno... odd maybe. hearing forreign words while trying to talk to someone is distracting.
The Gas Station
2004-10-14, 7:21 PM #46
Wait. You're annyoed because they are having a conversation in German while they are around you even if you aren't aprt of the conversation?
Pissed Off?
2004-10-14, 7:34 PM #47
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant
I would spoke english

Or try, at least... :p
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-14, 9:53 PM #48
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant
again, my point is missed, think it's rude to talk to someone across from you when someone else is sitting beside you talking to someone three seats down? it'd be annoying and confusing and hard to concentrate, now in my situation... they are not only talking across the table while we are having conversations, but they are speaking in german. if it was in english i think i'd find it a bit more toleratable as it'd be less i donno... odd maybe.

Maybe you should offer the other German guy your seat?
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-10-15, 5:48 AM #49
I think its kinda rude of them, but from what you have said I think is was the fact that they wern't sitting togather,

pretty much sounded like if it were all english, the whole table was talking about 'x', then 2 guys far apart on the table start talking about 'y' , if you want to talk about 'y' its not hard to go and sit next to each other so has no not mix people up.. but that's not so much that they were talking in german though..

what would be rude if it was a small group of 6 people(lets say they're riding in a van to some where) and 4 spoke german and the other 2 couldn't, and they could all speak english.. then the 4 started speaking in german leaving the other 2 not knowing wtf they're talking about... Thats rude..
2004-10-15, 6:35 AM #50
Quote:
Originally posted by Roach
No, see it's an "assimilate or die" attitude if it's an American, it's a "perseveration of our heritage" attitude if it's a Franco-Canadian.

It's not "preservation or heritage", it' ****ing logic. If you go to a restaurant in america, you expect to be served in english, not russian, vietnamese, or whatever. Or yet, how would you feel if CNN suddenly changed their language to spanish?
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-10-15, 8:04 AM #51
Yeah, because we firmly believe in "assimilate or die."
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-10-15, 8:26 AM #52
If I have a conversation with a fellow landsman, I'm going to be having it in my language, unless I'm with a group of people who are all having a discussion in which case I'm sure everyone will try to find a common lingua franca. I think it'd be sad to be unable to speak my own language when I was living abroad, and we found it absolutely essential to keep speaking our native languages amongst ourselves in order to preserve our proficiency in them. It would have felt very artificial and forced to speak English amongst ourselves.

There's nothing rude about it.
Would you throw a tantrum if I said to my sister "Kan du vara snäll och räcka mig kniven?", when all I'd be asking is "Would you please pass the knife?" in Swedish? We were staying at a friend's grandmother's place, and I did the above. She went nuts (seeing as she was monolingually Finnish). Until then we had been conversing amongst the table in Finnish, but once I arbitarily asked my sister for the butter, she went nuts and went into an extended lecture mode.

Really, next time if you suddenly offended by it, just politely tell them. They're probably just going to shrug and tell you that you shouldn't care since the conversation wasn't about you anyway. Better yet, just ask him about what he said.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-10-15, 9:55 AM #53
Why do you want to eavesdrop? Speaking in another language is no different than if they wrote English on paper or whispered English so that you could not hear it. Would you find those things to be rude as well? Probably, since you can't seem to stand the idea of you not knowing what everyone is saying. You are the rude one.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-15, 10:02 AM #54
Hey, you seem intolerant. Have fun in life.

Ich sage, dass wir nur jetzt Deutsch sprechen. Wir koennen ihn sehr boese machen, weil er so engstirnig ist.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-10-15, 10:34 AM #55
Ein was für intoleranter Stichel. Kein Zweifel erhält er seinen Esel eines Tages getreten.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-15, 1:38 PM #56
The apostrophe in the thread title really irritates me.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-10-15, 1:54 PM #57
Quote:
If I have a conversation with a fellow landsman, I'm going to be having it in my language, unless I'm with a group of people who are all having a discussion in which case I'm sure everyone will try to find a common lingua franca. I think it'd be sad to be unable to speak my own language when I was living abroad, and we found it absolutely essential to keep speaking our native languages amongst ourselves in order to preserve our proficiency in them. It would have felt very artificial and forced to speak English amongst ourselves.

Totally.

I'm from Norway, moved to Britain in 1990, and we only ever speak Norwegian at home. I think it's incredibly awkward speaking English to my parents. English is the 'school' language, it always feels far more.. formal. It's hard to be sincere in English. Norwegian definitely feels friendlier. It's always great when I come across other Scandinavian immigrants. :-)

Even if we have English people over, and I need to say something to parents, I'll say it in Norwegian, despite the ??? face from those around. Speaking English to my parents would be like.. wearing a thick winter coat when indoors with central heating. in summer. during a heatwave.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!