Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → jasc bought by corel
jasc bought by corel
2004-10-14, 8:06 PM #1
hmmm...
is this good or bad?
paint shop pro will now be a corel product.
http://www.jasc.com/aboutjasc/?
2004-10-14, 8:10 PM #2
Huh? Oh sorry I was busy burning Paint Shop™ Pro® 9.*

*PSP > PS

I dunno, it could be good, I don't really think much will change.

---------------------

Quote:
Soon to be posted by some dumbass:

PS>PSP

Fixed. OMG LOL I AM FUNNAY! KEKEKEKE -=^_^=-
Think while it's still legal.
2004-10-14, 8:11 PM #3
I couldn't care as I never used PaintShop Pro. Photoshop all the way.

SAJN_Master may kindly die for his remark against the pure genious that is Adobe Photoshop CS. Wraa.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-10-14, 8:18 PM #4
I don't see any reason that anyone should think PS is not better than PSP. But since that's not the topic, we will desregard that.

I don't know how this'll affect anything but I imagine it'll increase in quality and the price'll stay the same..so good times.

....PSFOREVER
Warhead[97]
2004-10-14, 8:21 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
Huh? Oh sorry I was busy burning Paint Shop™ Pro® 9.*

*PSP > PS

I dunno, it could be good, I don't really think much will change.

---------------------

Fixed. OMG LOL I AM FUNNAY! KEKEKEKE -=^_^=-

OMG WAREZ BAND
2004-10-14, 8:22 PM #6
I think he meant with fire...
2004-10-14, 8:26 PM #7
I love Photoshop. It helps me put out useless pictures like this:
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-14, 8:55 PM #8
GIMP is the only way to go.
2004-10-14, 8:57 PM #9
(GIMP = PSP) < Photoshop.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-14, 10:15 PM #10
Lately Corel always buys the rights to other software and slaps their name on it instead of developing their own. It takes a real good company to do that. :rolleyes: Soon, it will only be corel and adobe. (I don't think adobe will ever sell).

I don't think its good b/c the fewer companies there are, the less competition there will be and prices will probably go up.
Sure, you could use GIMP (I've used it) but PS and PSP are in a league all their own.
2004-10-14, 10:26 PM #11
Adobe, Corel, and Marcomedia. I don't EVER expect to see Corel Freehand, or Corel Flash. It doesn't even have the same RING to it.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-10-15, 12:48 AM #12
Wow, all this time I've still been using PSP 7.0. How much better is 9.0, if you care to tell?

BTW, I do have a copy of Photoshop 4.0 sitting around my room but I never bother to use it beause I'm too use to PSP. Maybe someday when people nag me enough to ditch PSP or when I take a photoshop class in College shall I make the switch. Photoshop is pretty much the game industry standard anyway so I'll eventually make the switch.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-10-15, 2:15 AM #13
I don't have a very good image of Corel products. Their bugs made me lost hours of work... But I hope they won't affect PSP that way (though the first version of PSP 8 was so bug ridden it's hard to believe). Still, I don't just see any reason why this would benefit PSP either.

I'm a PSP user mainly, because I have used it for a long time. Photoshop, although I use it occasionally, is harder because I'm so used to the PSP way of doing things, and it differs somewhat from PS.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-15, 5:29 AM #14
<3 SAJN

PSP>PS

fwerd
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-10-15, 7:12 AM #15
as long as corel doesn't start dictating how psp gets developed.
2004-10-15, 8:12 AM #16
I am certainly more accustomed to PSP and it has a cleaner layout (in my opinion [and as of version 8]) than Photoshop as I have used at school and friends' houses, but it is defintely more powerful and industry supported.

The main problems for me were the right mouse button actions and the inability to modify compression with a wizard or some such (which is made very simple in Paint Shop Pro). I prefer being able to use both colors in my selector at will with the left and right mouse buttons.
2004-10-15, 8:29 AM #17
I've always use PSP and I like it much more than photoshop.. I remember the days of Corel Draw.. i didn't like it.. so im only afraid to see what happens.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-10-15, 12:51 PM #18
I thought Corel Draw 10 was very nice, and more user friendly then Photoshop.

Its pretty easy to use, can do certain effects easily.
(I.e a glow is very simple, you hit a button, adjust the effect settings, boom, you're done. In photoshop, you have to make layers, gauss blur, etc, there may be another way but I dunno)
But, It can't do advanced things like Photoshop easily, or as good, so yeah.
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-10-15, 4:32 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Oberfeldwebell
I thought Corel Draw 10 was very nice, and more user friendly then Photoshop.

Its pretty easy to use, can do certain effects easily.
(I.e a glow is very simple, you hit a button, adjust the effect settings, boom, you're done. In photoshop, you have to make layers, gauss blur, etc, there may be another way but I dunno)
But, It can't do advanced things like Photoshop easily, or as good, so yeah.

Yeah. It's called a Layer Effect. Of course, if you want something more complex, you need to work a bit more at it. That usually involves doing it manually.
Last Stand
2004-10-15, 7:59 PM #20
"The main problems for me were the right mouse button actions and the inability to modify compression with a wizard or some such (which is made very simple in Paint Shop Pro). I prefer being able to use both colors in my selector at will with the left and right mouse buttons."

If you use the "export image for web" command under the file menu in PS, it brings up a compression wizard. Also, simply pushing the X key switches which color is your primary color on the dual pallete. This leaves the right click available for context menus (and is also handy when using a tablet).

"Its pretty easy to use, can do certain effects easily.
But, It can't do advanced things like Photoshop easily, or as good, so yeah."

Right click on the layer you wish to add an effect to, and select "blending options". this brings up a menu with the different selectable blending effects and settings for each effect.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.

↑ Up to the top!