Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Send me out some of those Massassi Vibrations (TM)
Send me out some of those Massassi Vibrations (TM)
2004-10-16, 7:08 PM #1
Yeah, for the next few days here, I'm needing some positive vibrations. I've been without a steady job for awhile. I've put in applications everywhere, even going to many companies' websites and applying there. I just got a call from a local Best Buy for an interview. I'm going to be up for a posistion in the media department, which is just great for me, working in retail is somethign I've done for most of my life, and I know a good amount in the "media" field.

So since I have an interview at the Best Buy on Tuesday morning, I'm here asking for your positive vibes. My second purpose is to remind myself about the interview. With how often I spend time on these forums, this thread will be a nice reminder since its still a couple of days away.

So, wish me luck . . . .

Oh, and does anyone else find it wierd that I got a call for an interview at 8:30pm on a Saturday? To me it seems both wierd and a bit late to make a business related call.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2004-10-16, 7:15 PM #2
Good luck, dude ;)
Pissed Off?
2004-10-16, 7:33 PM #3
/me switches on a certain vibrating object
Stuff
2004-10-16, 7:35 PM #4
We can never use the term YOUR dildo, just A dildo.
D E A T H
2004-10-16, 7:52 PM #5
Gotta keep those lovin good, vibrations a happening...
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-10-16, 8:16 PM #6
The content of this post is missing.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-16, 9:21 PM #7
Pick up the album SMiLE.
former entrepreneur
2004-10-16, 9:34 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi

Fight club rules. :)
2004-10-16, 9:35 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by MFalse3
Oh, and does anyone else find it wierd that I got a call for an interview at 8:30pm on a Saturday? To me it seems both wierd and a bit late to make a business related call.

Perhaps you'll be working night shift.
Hazard a company one process.
2004-10-16, 9:35 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi

I was thinking of that line today but I couldn't remember where it was from... GET OUT OF MY BRAIN
2004-10-16, 10:10 PM #11
[Warms up mega giration vibrato-matic vibe machine]:)
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-10-17, 12:48 AM #12
Ok heres the deal, if you get hired, you'll probably start off seasonal. Bust your tail, be a good worker, pick up hours when they need the help, and come the end of January or mid Feb they may keep you on board or find a spot for you. Usually a lot of people quit during the holiday season. The cool part about working seasonal is youll get your discount within a month I think along with the right to wear a blue shirt.

The not so good news is media is a pain during the holidays, that department runs the store by dragging in about 60-70% of the stores total revenue. Expect longer hours and to be swamped (red zoned) almost all day.

The great news is Best Buy is actually a really good place to work. Depending on the store of course, youll get to know your coworkers pretty fast and the management and supervisors actually seem to give a da*n about you even if youre currently a "temp"

As far as the 8:30pm call, thats about right. When I applied last year I got called back 20 mins later around 9:15pm and had an interview the next day. The only reason why I'm no longer working there is they threw me under an incompetant manager and I was unable to be repositioned for some stupid reason.

Heres some tips for your interview:

Customers come first (obviously). As soon as they enter your area, you greet them. They want you to get on a first name basis (managers will actually come by and ask you what was the name of the last person you helped, and then go and ask them their name to make sure you didnt make up an answer....no joke)

Expect to do a little role playing at your interview (kinda awkward) You may want to go to the store a day or two before and take notes as to how the staff handles customers

Best Buy tries to be the complete solution, so naturally you help the customer get everything they will possibly think of.

Suggestive selling is huge. If somebody is in getting a CD by an artist recommend other albums by the same artist or similar music. Then take it further by asking what kind of equiptment theyre playing their music on and suggest they go check out the home theater or car stero departments.

Credit card applications are big too. If somebody is carting around a lot of stuff the best thing to do is ask if they have the BB credit card, application processing takes about 5 mins etc etc...

Best Buy also promotes things like Netflix and Rhapsody. Being in media this is a really really huge deal and should be offered to every customer you greet. Start out with simple questions like "do you rent a lot of movies..." or "do you like to play music on your computer a lot..."

As far as loss prevention goes, the more you greet your customers the less likely they will steal something. If you get a bad vibe about somebody or they look suspicious keep on them, offer them anything and everything, tell them about Best Buy etc... Media is the #1 area for crap being stolen as well. Usually theyll pick stuff up and wander off to another area to bust it open and pocket the goods, but some are brave enough to do it right there, so you gotta always keep a watchful eye.

Extended service plans should be offered for all game systems (as well as anything else that has one). Even if they say no right off the bat, put it in their hands and explain to them what all it entails. The phrase "this will pay for itself the first time you use it" seems to go over well.

So theres the basics, granted not every person hired knows all that, but a basic understanding of what I said should give you a really good edge to getting hired. Make sure you have plenty of khaki pants. Good luck man!

-S

Any other questions you have I can try to answer, I'll check back here monday night.
"...Those living for death will die by their own hand, Life's no ordeal if you come to terms, Reject the system dictating the norms..."
2004-10-17, 1:25 AM #13
So, seeing as how I'm thinking about getting a job at Best Buy, telling everyone that they should go to newegg.com would be a BAD thing. :|
D E A T H
2004-10-17, 4:17 AM #14
Good luck!!
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-10-17, 3:41 PM #15
I'd vibrate for you.. But I'm not a girl. :rolleyes: :D

Good luck. :p
2004-10-17, 11:42 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by JEDI-Salvation
Ok heres the deal, if you get hired, you'll probably start off seasonal. Bust your tail, be a good worker, pick up hours when they need the help, and come the end of January or mid Feb they may keep you on board or find a spot for you. Usually a lot of people quit during the holiday season. The cool part about working seasonal is youll get your discount within a month I think along with the right to wear a blue shirt.

The not so good news is media is a pain during the holidays, that department runs the store by dragging in about 60-70% of the stores total revenue. Expect longer hours and to be swamped (red zoned) almost all day.

The great news is Best Buy is actually a really good place to work. Depending on the store of course, youll get to know your coworkers pretty fast and the management and supervisors actually seem to give a da*n about you even if youre currently a "temp"

As far as the 8:30pm call, thats about right. When I applied last year I got called back 20 mins later around 9:15pm and had an interview the next day. The only reason why I'm no longer working there is they threw me under an incompetant manager and I was unable to be repositioned for some stupid reason.

Heres some tips for your interview:

Customers come first (obviously). As soon as they enter your area, you greet them. They want you to get on a first name basis (managers will actually come by and ask you what was the name of the last person you helped, and then go and ask them their name to make sure you didnt make up an answer....no joke)

Expect to do a little role playing at your interview (kinda awkward) You may want to go to the store a day or two before and take notes as to how the staff handles customers

Best Buy tries to be the complete solution, so naturally you help the customer get everything they will possibly think of.

Suggestive selling is huge. If somebody is in getting a CD by an artist recommend other albums by the same artist or similar music. Then take it further by asking what kind of equiptment theyre playing their music on and suggest they go check out the home theater or car stero departments.

Credit card applications are big too. If somebody is carting around a lot of stuff the best thing to do is ask if they have the BB credit card, application processing takes about 5 mins etc etc...

Best Buy also promotes things like Netflix and Rhapsody. Being in media this is a really really huge deal and should be offered to every customer you greet. Start out with simple questions like "do you rent a lot of movies..." or "do you like to play music on your computer a lot..."

As far as loss prevention goes, the more you greet your customers the less likely they will steal something. If you get a bad vibe about somebody or they look suspicious keep on them, offer them anything and everything, tell them about Best Buy etc... Media is the #1 area for crap being stolen as well. Usually theyll pick stuff up and wander off to another area to bust it open and pocket the goods, but some are brave enough to do it right there, so you gotta always keep a watchful eye.

Extended service plans should be offered for all game systems (as well as anything else that has one). Even if they say no right off the bat, put it in their hands and explain to them what all it entails. The phrase "this will pay for itself the first time you use it" seems to go over well.

So theres the basics, granted not every person hired knows all that, but a basic understanding of what I said should give you a really good edge to getting hired. Make sure you have plenty of khaki pants. Good luck man!

-S

Any other questions you have I can try to answer, I'll check back here monday night.

You're dope, I'm going to remember that.
一个大西瓜
2004-10-18, 5:15 AM #17
You didn't need to quote that huge *** thing.

Good luck man.
2004-10-18, 10:14 AM #18
Wow. That sounds like the job from hell. No thanks.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-18, 9:50 PM #19
To me it really doesn't sound like a horrible job. I'm a natural at retail work, I'm always there for a customer, smile on my face ready to show them the prduct they need even if i just had my heart broken and a joint sprained . . . I'm helping them with a smile.

I'm just hoping when it comes to the interview that I'm not looked down upon for the fact that I'm short (the pun wasn't intended and I'm too lazy to word it differently) and that I'm chubby too. It seems with every place I go for an interview its either my physical qualities or the fact that despite the fact I'm 21 I've been working in retail/sales for 10 years. They're have been a few 26 year old managers that seems afraid of me becuase of the experiance that i have in sales. Like looking for a low level job means I'm out for thier jobs. eh, what can i do?

well guys (and the few gals) keep sending out the vibes. I think I'll need 'em tomorrow morning.
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2004-10-19, 5:34 AM #20
/me vibes again
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-19, 7:31 AM #21
You're expected to know each customer's name?? I'd be appalled if someone I didn't know came up and asked me my name for no reason. Even more appalled when the manager came dashing up to "check up" on his employee, and embroiling me in his little mind-games in an attempt to justify his job.

That really does sound like the job from hell. Pushy attendants are annoying. If I want help I'll ask for it, and no, I don't want an extended warranty.

Anyway, a job's a job, I know, so good luck. I just wish these stupid rules didn't exist.
2004-10-19, 10:01 AM #22
Well, that went well. :D They're calling me back for the second interview tomorrow or the next day. I'm pretty confident, becuase I have this feeling that he wanted to tell me i have the job, but a higher manager needs to ok me before he does that.

So keep those vibrations coming for whenever I have that second interview. I can't wait, I've been waiting to get back into the job market for a while. I've been helping at my families business, but that's nowhere near the type of money i can get froma real job these days.
Last.fm
2004-10-19, 10:08 AM #23
Congrats on the first interview, and good luck on the second!

*vibrates*
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2004-10-19, 11:45 AM #24
I applied at BB once via their website, but I was forced to take a personality test of some sort, and probably did very bad on it. There were a ton of trick questions and it probably indicated that I was an obsessive compulsive serial killer.
2004-10-19, 12:02 PM #25
*bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-10-19, 12:40 PM #26
The second interview is usually with the store manager...no pressure or anything ;)
"...Those living for death will die by their own hand, Life's no ordeal if you come to terms, Reject the system dictating the norms..."
2004-10-19, 6:15 PM #27
*shakes it like a poloride picture*
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-19, 8:28 PM #28
Best Buy ! the only place you can get fired for not offering extended warranties on $15 appliances!

seriously i loved it for the first month or so, then after Christmas (I was hired in October) they started cramming the whole "We need to hit this number or people are going to start getting fired" type ****. My department was always in the top 3 but I just couldnt take having 8 managers come by and tell me my job, plus all the supervisors from the other departments who were competing to be managers come by and tell me what to do.

It's like Office Space, you have 30 people telling you what to do and all the customer wants is a phone charger.

I quit there and started working at Starbucks and it's a lot better.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-10-19, 9:02 PM #29
*jiggles*
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-10-19, 9:56 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by JEDI-Salvation
The second interview is usually with the store manager...no pressure or anything ;)

the second interview with my job was the department manager... but good luck with that interview d00d!:cool:
please... NO MORE OATMEAL COOKIES THE PAIN!!!!
2004-10-20, 4:03 PM #31
Well, just a little update here. I'm getting ready to shower before heading to my second interview.

I'll stop back by tonight to tell you how it went . . . . I've got my fingers crossed on this one.
Last.fm
2004-10-20, 4:21 PM #32
[http://www.entertainmentagent.co.uk/beachboys.gif]
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-21, 11:22 AM #33
Well, I was offered the job, and I start training just as soon as both my drug test and background check results come in.

Oh crap . . . I gotta call up the testing place, set an appointment, and drink a lot tomorrow.

I wish it were a hair-based drug test, like my Catholic Highschool had. Just have a couple of hairs plucked instead of having someone supervise you peeing into a cup.
Last.fm
2004-10-21, 11:40 AM #34
you get a drug test before working at Best Buy? you people are complete freaks....

but congratulations, none the less!
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-10-21, 5:30 PM #35
Hair retains drugs for years afterwards, in some cases, and isn't always accurate. They don't need to know if you smoked pot 5 years ago--just if you've been doing it recently.
D E A T H
2004-10-21, 5:39 PM #36
yeah, but when it comes to that, I don't have anything to worry about with the hair test either.
Last.fm
2004-10-21, 5:41 PM #37
Good luck on the drug test....?

↑ Up to the top!