Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition
Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition
2004-10-16, 11:41 PM #1
I'm trying to buy this game. I ordered it on Amazon.com, but it was back ordered. I don't want to use Ebay if I can help it. Google is not helping much... Any suggestions?

Also, discuss your sneaky tactics (for any version of UT).

Mine mostly involve the translocater, and are very helpful during CTF. :D For example, finding alternate ways through levels (usually involving firing the translocater through a tight spot... Especially, when you're playing against a team that's guarding certain entrances to their base, and suddenly I've got their flag and no one knows how I got into their base.

Or my favorite trick. Charge into the base, grab the flag and run out back towards your own base. But, as you're grabbing the flag, fire your translocater into a corner (this is much easier in the original UT, since there's no trails, so people are less likely to notice). Then, one of two things will happen. Either you'll escape and capture the flag, at which point, you can teleport right back to their base to take their flag again (hopefully before they have time to recover), or just before they kill you, you teleport back to their base. When they return the flag, you grab it again and run out another exit. (I don't know how often these sorts of things are done already during online play, cause I typically only play LAN with various friends, so if these are well established tactics, then cut me some slack... I invented them as far as I'm concerned... :p )

Another nice trick is playing dead. Doesn't work against bots, but against human players, it can be an excellent tool, especially if you're playing against people that don't know it can be done (btw, can this be done in UT 2004? I can't figure it out). They fire a rocket or something at you, which does some damage, but doesn't kill you. But then you tap the fake death button, and they, assuming that you're dead, run off to kill someone else... At which time you stand up and resume whatever you were doing. This is especially helpful if you're in or near the enemy base, since if you kill the people, they'll just respawn near enough to come after you again, but if they think you're dead, they're likely to leave the area.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-10-17, 5:08 AM #2
By the sounds of it you already have UT... why not just download the bonus packs and you'll have everything thats in the GotY edition?

As for tactics, my favourite is sniping from the top of the wall on lavagiant :D
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-10-17, 6:08 AM #3
Sniping in UT is the most fun that can be had, ever.

Unfortunately, whenever my friends play Face, I am not allowed to snipe, simply because I become so good at it (they aren't great), that the other team never gets to advance on our flag.
2004-10-17, 7:19 AM #4
Personally I think sniping in farcry is the best game to snipe in ;) Nothing beats hitting someone in the leg, making them spiral off a cliff and into a tree. *sigh*

Anyways, I'm terrible at UT 2k3/4, but I'm pretty good at the first one. I dunno, I've just never got the feel of the newer games.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-10-17, 8:51 AM #5
My favourite tactic (in UT2K4 anyways) is firing the redeemer with the alt-fire so you can see from it's perspective and fly it around. You wait until there is a group of several enemies in one area, then fly it down and set it off right above their heads... Fun stuff. This also works for disabling powernodes in Onslaught. Handy against vehicles as well.
Stuff
2004-10-17, 10:20 AM #6
You are in luck! I have been trying to sell my UT: GotY for quite sometime on half.com. You can purchase it here: http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/inv.cgi?offer_id=1203210083&meta_id=5&cpid=1067870412&domain_id=2266
And since I am such a nice guy I'll refund you $1.50 off shipping if you have a PayPal account. (Or I can just throw a dollar bill and change in the box when I ship it.)
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-10-17, 2:43 PM #7
Quote:
By the sounds of it you already have UT... why not just download the bonus packs and you'll have everything thats in the GotY edition?
no, I don't have it atm. I used to play at my school, which had a gaming room with a bunch of fast networked computers with games on them (including UT, Battlelfield 1942. Age of Empires, and several others). So that's where I developed my love for the game... I currently have the demo of UT 2004, but so far, I like the original better... Plus it's cheaper.

And JASRCC, are those scratches major? Cause I've got a super crappy CD ROM that's very picky. If the scratches are light, it shouldn't be a problem, but you never know...

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-10-17, 5:47 PM #8
UT RA was suprisingly good.
2004-10-17, 6:05 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill
...Another nice trick is playing dead...

This also works in Call Of Duty. A coworker of mine started using this at our biweekly LAN parties, and it caught on. If it hasnt been used in a game, it still useful, until someone does use it... then we start shooting up the corpses as we enter the rooms, just to be safe. :p
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-10-17, 6:13 PM #10
Quote:
then we start shooting up the corpses as we enter the rooms, just to be safe.

Yeah.. it makes everyone a little jumpy... ;)

2004-10-17, 8:58 PM #11
Scratches are super light. I'll gladly give you a full refund if you have any problems.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-10-18, 12:15 AM #12
UT is a good tool to make friends. When I first moved to Wisconsin no one seemed to care about me, but then I got in on a game of UT deathmatch in my electronics class and owned everyone in the class (I know many of you dont like the word 'owned', but what else can I call it when I reach the kill limit of 30 and the next best guy has 10 kills?).

After that they respected me for my ability to point and click a mouse while also using a keyboard better than them.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-10-18, 10:24 AM #13
It's really easy to tell the difference between prone position and corpses in CoD.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-18, 10:42 AM #14
Hmm... I do very badly want the full versions of UT and UT2k4... So far, I merely have the demos for each of them. (The demo for the original UT can be found here) However, I'd say that I have quite some skill with them... (I know that there was a screenshot posted here about 6 months ago that might suggest the contrary, but that was a bad day for me, and I'v eimproved a lot since then)

My favorite tactics for UT... The translocator is invaluable for CTF; I always make sure to toss it in a discrete location as I run from the base. If I actually make it back and capture on that run, I simply teleport back, and grab it again! Also, using the translocator in Domination can be fun as well; if you drop it right under a control node, you can recapture it as soon as it's taken; if you're timing's right, you'll also telefrag whoever just took it!

For UT2k4, My best friends in Onslaught are what sniping weapons are availible, and the Manta; the Goliath (main turret) and Hellbender rear turret take close second. It's too bad I can't seem to get my UT stats working (perhaps it's full version only?), 'cuz I'd really like to see just how many "Holy S***!" awards I've racked up so far (I'd say I'm closing in on the 100 mark); I almost always finish a game with either the "head hunter" or "road rampage" awards; "flak monkey" is only common in deathmatch.

As for "owning" your friends, I can easily believe you; compared to my high school friends (some of whom are serious gamers), my brother and I easily beat them in UT (original). He often reports the final scores to me, and (for DM), they usually hover arround 30 (him) to 8 (second-best).
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-18, 12:21 PM #15
Turn down the time to ultra slow motion in that one level with the two towers in space, snipe the spawn area and see how many times you can hear the phrase "MO-MO-MO-MONSTER KILL." :D
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-10-18, 2:36 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by JudgeDredd
Turn down the time to ultra slow motion in that one level with the two towers in space, snipe the spawn area and see how many times you can hear the phrase "MO-MO-MO-MONSTER KILL." :D

What level is this? I know DM-Morpheus has three towers...

Anyway, I've found that, after roughly 100 frags in a row (repeating that line each time after the 4th), it just quits out, for some reason...
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-18, 3:51 PM #17
cheapest tactic:

[~]
god
[enter]
fly
[enter]
[~]

Win.
Hazard a company one process.
2004-10-18, 10:19 PM #18
JASRCC, sounds good then... I'll go ahead and place the order tomorrow afternoon.

2004-10-19, 3:16 PM #19
Well, I am not much into tactics - other than the fact that I side strafe around corners, use dodge a lot, and have learned that almost every weapon has a use... for instance the sludge weapon at close range, or backpedaling while being chased.

That being said, UT has TONS and TONS of great maps and mods. Check these sites out:

http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/

http://modsquad.beyondunreal.com/
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2004-10-19, 3:48 PM #20
I have six words for you in your search for good mods....

NUCLEAR FLAK RABITS
and
I AM NOMAD

those two mods combined are the funnest things I have played in forever. Anybody play with those mods often?
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-10-19, 7:36 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
It's really easy to tell the difference between prone position and corpses in CoD.

Not if they happen to be laying in or next to 20 dead bodies. And especially if they don't have a weapon equipped.
2004-10-19, 7:43 PM #22
That may be so, but in the hundreds of online CoD games I've played, I've never seen a solitary soul even use the tactic, let-alone use it halfway effectively.

Besides, I can garauntee you the highest scorer is always the rushing bunny-hopper type anyway. Playing dead may do wonders for your K/D ratio, but it's not gonna nab you a high score.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!