Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help Control Air Pollution: Cut Down A Tree!
Help Control Air Pollution: Cut Down A Tree!
2004-10-17, 5:32 PM #1
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996526
Stuff
2004-10-17, 5:34 PM #2
That's interesting, but it's like punishing a kid. It may hurt now, but in the long run it will be beneficial if it's done the right way.
2004-10-17, 6:09 PM #3
Interesting.
2004-10-17, 6:44 PM #4
sweetness
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-10-17, 7:42 PM #5
I gon't get it.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-10-17, 8:07 PM #6
Quickly! To the wildlife reservations!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-17, 9:47 PM #7
TAKE THAT TREE-HUGGERS!!!

>.>
<.<
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-10-17, 10:20 PM #8
Some of the forests in the US are in poor health due to crowding and overgrowth anyway. Some stands would benefit from thinning.
Pissed Off?
2004-10-17, 10:26 PM #9
I don't quite understand this... do the volatile organic compounds break down naturally over time? Trees have been around for thousands of years; why would it now be a problem? Anyone care to enlighten me? :confused:
2004-10-17, 11:21 PM #10
Their research is severely flawed.
Quote:
So a team led by Drew Purves at Princeton University investigated the impact of newly planted forests on VOC levels in the US.
Here are a list of problems off the top of my head:

1. Many forests are replaced with genetically altered "versions" of the trees that were cut down.
2. Many forests are replaced with 95+% of the same breed of tree - they cut down a mix of douglas fir, alder, cedar, and hemlock, and they replace it with highly concentrated forests full of douglas fir only.
3. How do they know that the pollution they're measuring isn't from the tons of exhaust all the logging equipment puts out, or the oil that wa dripped on the ground and now the trees are eating, or the dead animals that were caused by all the logging in the first place? Note they said "newly planted" forests, which, around here in WA anyway, generally means it was just clearcut and replanted.
Quote:
Farmland reverting to scrub, pine plantations and the invasive sweetgum tree were behind most of the increases in the US.
Even they admit that it's the man-made forests that are causing the problems, not individuals planting trees in their gardens.
2004-10-18, 1:58 AM #11
Well, it was interesting to read, but I have to agree with Brian. If this research is duplicated with the same, or rather more convincing results, it might give something to think about considering the "artificial", man-made forests. Natural forests? Well, I would rather accept a little O3 than be totally without O2...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!