Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Magna Cum Laude (Rated M for Mature)
Magna Cum Laude (Rated M for Mature)
2004-10-18, 9:57 AM #1
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this game looks pretty fun, I had fun playing the old LSL games and this one just looks like a lot more fun in 3d. No, I'm not a perverted freak, I always liked the point and click games. Such as Day of the Tentacle and such. Besides, LSL games are pretty funny alot of the time too, he always gets the bad end of the deal.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2004-10-18, 10:00 AM #2
I'm pretty sure it got really bad reviews, but I can't remember.
Moo.
2004-10-18, 10:18 AM #3
Gamespot review.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-10-18, 12:20 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Gamespot
[ Gone are the innuendo- and entendre-based gags of old, replaced by blatant, obscene, and downright insane humor that rivals most modern-day Hollywood comedies

Sounds terrible. :(
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-18, 6:06 PM #5
That does sound unappealing, however, I've never been one to follow the critics, nor gamespot. Maybe I'll get a chance to see it for myself and make my own judgement... lets just hope they didnt completely change everything like they say.
2004-10-18, 8:13 PM #6
Heh, doesn't seem too bad. It's a shame that it was banned here in Australia.
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-10-18, 8:17 PM #7
You could always play some free point-and-click adventures. Some of them are great, too:

[url]www.agsforums.com[/url]
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-10-19, 2:52 AM #8
I've been playing this game for awhile, and there was one thing real early in the game that stood out for me : It made me laugh. Genuinely laugh. As in, really laugh out loud. Not a 'Heh', or a soft chuckle, but a genuine 'good-lord-that-was-bloody-fun' laugh.

Granted, perhaps the humor is sometimes rather juveline and very in-your-face sexist, and the gameplay is completely different when compared to the old LSL games. But to my big surprise, it also really had the old, quirky, Leisure Suit Larry atmosphere, and there are quite a few cute references to old Larry games as it is. And seeing the now-rather-old Leisure Suit Larry Laffer himself sitting at Lefty's Too(which is a nice representation of the original Lefty's bar), searching through a newspaper in the 'singles' ads(while making quite a few references to the old days, wondering what ever happened to pointing-and-clicking and how in his days 16 colors was enough) felt right.

As for suddenly playing Leisure Suit Lovage... well, I can understand why they did that. And frankly, I like the decision, it feels fresh. Overall, he still has many of the quirks that his uncle has. And it's bloody cute when he's desperatley lying to woo a girl.

In this case, I think they managed to keep some of the old LSL charm in there, while having a different type of gameplay. And the game practically has me hooked because of the former.

(it was rather painful when I saw the Sierra logo for one last time :( )
The answer is maybe.
2004-10-19, 10:09 AM #9
Well I'm glad to hear from someone who has played the game, hearing that has boosted my idea of the game. Anyone else?
2004-10-19, 3:10 PM #10
I have to admit as well, it's absolutely halarious, BUT, it is a VERY crude game, and it's not my style. The gameplay is really good, and the minigames are fun, but -call me crazy- I prefer the good old fashioned type relationships, and all it does is mock them.

Verdict: Funny for about 20 minutes, but the preverted stuff goes overboard.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2004-10-19, 3:10 PM #11
Finished this game a few minutes ago. Summed up, I have to say that the game really took me by surprise. When I first heard about it, I thought that it was kinda cute that they were bringing Larry back, but didn't think too much about it, mostly because of Mask of Eternity. And yes, this game is most likely the easiest of the LSL games, but most of all, it was fun. The ending brought a smile on my face, and you're allowed to continue afterwards to try out various of the sidequests that are still open, so I'm sure as hell gonna see what I missed.

For example, after seeing the ending, I saw an opening for a second sidequest with Ione, so I went to check it out. And frankly... I can't remember ever laughing out loud with the second chat that you get with her. That took me completely by surprise, and was just... well, you have to hear it.

On the other hand, I do not see much in replayability(aside from, perhaps, a small choice near the end). However, I will remember this game mostly by the fact that I really was laughing out loud throughout most of the game, the fact that it had some great pieces of humor, and although the game switched to a nephew, the original Leisure Suit Larry still makes various appearances in a way that felt right, and most of all, it had that small touch of the old Larry games.

If this is the last game that's part of the old series from Sierra Online... well, I wouldn't exactly say that it's their best way to end for Sierra's adventure series, but this sure as hell ain't no King's Quest : Mask of Eternity. Golly good fun.
The answer is maybe.

↑ Up to the top!