Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Advice for buying a present ^^
Advice for buying a present ^^
2004-10-18, 1:20 PM #1
Hey, My gf's bday is coming in 2 weeks and I am wondering what I should get her. Suggestions are much appreciated =]
\(='_'=)/
2004-10-18, 1:26 PM #2
Aim low. Remember, whatever you get her, you have to go one higher next year. ;)
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-10-18, 1:28 PM #3
A CD or book is always good, and maybe some flowers or a stuffed animal.

Remember: It's better to get something useful than something they'll just put in a box or on a shelf.
2004-10-18, 1:39 PM #4
I'm lucky. There is a place 30 minute from my house that makes custom teddy bears(well, they have other things too like dogs and monkeys) that you can put custom voice boxes with your own voice in it and you can dress them up. Hook, line, and sinker.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-10-18, 1:43 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran Horn
I'm lucky. There is a place 30 minute from my house that makes custom teddy bears(well, they have other things too like dogs and monkeys) that you can put custom voice boxes with your own voice in it and you can dress them up. Hook, line, and sinker.

Do they let you put obsene things on the voice boxes? I have a couple of nasty ideas in mind :p
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-10-18, 1:58 PM #6
aye, those custom teddy bear things are always good, cheap too.

don't go for candy \ flowers \ jewelry or anything cliched like that. get her something unique that would mean something to her because of your relationship. maybe something relating to an injoke or whatever.
2004-10-18, 2:05 PM #7
Or, perhaps. Rather then something generic like that, you could find out whats shes interested in, what she would like to have. And get that.

For example: I had a friend who was really into Red Vs Blue. So I got her the Season one DVD :D
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-10-18, 7:11 PM #8
yeah, she doesnt want me to spend too much money.... anyway thx for the suggestions, and keep them coming ^^
\(='_'=)/
2004-10-18, 7:15 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
A CD or book is always good, and maybe some flowers or a stuffed animal.

Remember: It's better to get something useful than something they'll just put in a box or on a shelf.

Like a stuffed animal.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-10-18, 7:19 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran Horn

That's possibly the creepiest thing I've ever heard of!!

Quote:
don't go for candy \ flowers \ jewelry or anything cliched like that.

I'm very much against the whole cliché gifts thing, but there is reasoning behind them being popular. My main reason for disliking them really is that they're generic and quite often way overpriced. But a selection of her favourite chocolates or flowers (nothing too overblown) or a piece of jewelery she's had her eye on is pretty much guaranteed to be a success.

Obviously, if there's anything specific she's into, go for that, though presumably if you could think of anything like that you wouldn't be asking a bunch of strangers for help!

My advice is always to think of effort over money. If there's nothing hugely personal that you can think of buying, try making something. Or, do something for her instead of buying her something. Make her dinner or a picnic, or plan a special day out somewhere. Then if you just give her something small, like a card (handmade = very sweet and almost free!) she'll have it as a memento of a special occasion.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-10-18, 7:19 PM #11
But seriously, write a poem or paint a picture. Or take a pottery class with her like in Ghost. God, I'm so lonely. :(
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-10-18, 7:22 PM #12
Well... theres a rough equation of the amount youre supposed to spend on their gifts.

10x+5y-2z=N

where X is the number of months youve been with her, Y is the number of mistakes youve made while being with her, at least the ones shes most likely to remember or bad mouth you about, Z is the number of times, if any, shes cheated on you, and N is the final amount of money you should spend on the gift.

Hey, math doesnt lie.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2004-10-18, 7:23 PM #13
I suggest getting her something that means something...
That sounds very vague, but then you haven't actually told us anything about her.
But if you can get her something significant to her then it will mean so much more then even a custom teddy ever could.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-18, 7:31 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
Aim low. Remember, whatever you get her, you have to go one higher next year. ;)

I was thinking the same thing, but not regarding money...
2004-10-18, 7:42 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi
Well... theres a rough equation of the amount youre supposed to spend on their gifts.

10x+5y-2z=N

where X is the number of months youve been with her, Y is the number of mistakes youve made while being with her, at least the ones shes most likely to remember or bad mouth you about, Z is the number of times, if any, shes cheated on you, and N is the final amount of money you should spend on the gift.

Hey, math doesnt lie.

wait, shouldn't x and y be switched? if your not cheap that is
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-10-18, 7:44 PM #16
A 6800 Ultra. Or a 3800+
2004-10-18, 8:26 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by maevie
My advice is always to think of effort over money. If there's nothing hugely personal that you can think of buying, try making something. Or, do something for her instead of buying her something. Make her dinner or a picnic, or plan a special day out somewhere. Then if you just give her something small, like a card (handmade = very sweet and almost free!) she'll have it as a memento of a special occasion.

She speaks the truth.
Pissed Off?
2004-10-18, 8:28 PM #18
A potato.

Quote:
#151227 +(3258)- [X]

IronChef Foicite: well, there's a lot of reasons
IronChef Foicite: i mean, roses only last like a couple weeks
IronChef Foicite: and that's if you leave them in water
IronChef Foicite: and they really only exist to be pretty
IronChef Foicite: so that's like saying
IronChef Foicite: "my love for you is transitory and based solely on your appearance"
IronChef Foicite: but a potato!
IronChef Foicite: potatos last for ****ing ever, man
IronChef Foicite: in fact, not only will they not rot, they actually grow **** even if you just leave them in the sack
IronChef Foicite: that part alone makes it a good symbol
IronChef Foicite: but there's more!
IronChef Foicite: there are so many ways to enjoy a potato! you can even make a battery with it!
IronChef Foicite: and that's like saying "i have many ways in which I show my love for you"
IronChef Foicite: and potatos may be ugly, but they're still awesome
IronChef Foicite: so that's like saying "it doesn't matter at all what you look like, I'll still love you"
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-10-18, 8:45 PM #19
Buy a nice box, and fill it with lots of little things.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-10-20, 3:05 PM #20
Hmm, actually Archerjay, that aint a bad idea, thx!
\(='_'=)/
2004-10-20, 3:47 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Acharjay
Buy a nice box, and fill it with lots of little things.

I used to do that. Now I dont get her anything so if I do something nice she appreciates it more.

just kidding of course.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-10-20, 5:16 PM #22
Make the gift meaningfull to hear. Like the fancy box with little things in it. Girls like that. Just make sure little things are meaningfull. Like candy. Or patato's.

It's like they have a cool new container that looks "pretty" and has things they like in it.
2004-10-20, 5:23 PM #23
A well drawn-out picture (by you) of her can make her happy. Art can be good.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-20, 5:46 PM #24
Buy her Cryptonomicon. Better stock up on Ibuprofen though.

↑ Up to the top!