Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm addicted to manhunt....
I'm addicted to manhunt....
2004-10-20, 12:35 PM #1
It's pouring down rain here and for lack of better things to do,i've spent the last 2.5 hours playing manhunt (got the PC version cheap off of ebay). I've just now stopped for lunch after making it to the third scene. You would think that hiding in the shadows waiting for mask-wearing gang members to walk by so you could ambush them creatively as possible would get old, but it doesn't for some reason.

My advice: take people on one-on-one and don't let them see you. if people spot you, you're in deep s***. This may sound obvious, but its moere easily said than done, especially if there are several gangbangers walking around the area. It's hard to get them alone.

so far, my favourite weapons are the baseball bat and the glass shard.

so, to give this thread meaning and purpose in this hectic world, does anyone else here own this game?
2004-10-20, 12:36 PM #2
Now you really frighten me.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-10-20, 12:41 PM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Tracer
Now you really frighten me.

oh here we go.... :rolleyes:
2004-10-20, 12:47 PM #4
*shrug*
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-10-20, 12:53 PM #5
I thought the game was VERY boing. Once you play one level, you've played them all. It's all the same. Over and over. IMO.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-10-20, 1:38 PM #6
Postal 2 > Manhunt

I never get tired of burning people :p

I like to use the catnip to get lots of cats, and then throw them all in a dumpster and chuck a Molotov in there with them :devil: Before they get burnt, they're all scared and pissing on each other. :D

Another thing that's fun when you're out of ammo is to shock them and kick the **** out of them while they can't move. :D
2004-10-20, 1:50 PM #7
Postal 2 is the best game i've played on pc...I got many laughs out of killing the parents for decency, and hitting the gas station...i liked walking into a grocery store and taking a piss, then getting out my gun and doing a few warning shots and hearing everybody run and screaming it was so funny!!
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2004-10-20, 2:31 PM #8
/me makes note to self "don't ever meet these people in real life... especially if one of them is having a bad day."
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-10-20, 2:35 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by SavageX378
/me makes note to self "don't ever meet these people in real life... especially if one of them is having a bad day."
Moo.
2004-10-20, 3:05 PM #10
So you like hunting men eh chief? I always suspected...

;)
2004-10-20, 3:09 PM #11
Where do you live? it's raining here too.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-20, 3:11 PM #12
Meh, I bought Manhunt, and I have to agree that it gets really boring after the first few levels.
2004-10-20, 3:11 PM #13
He's standing outside your window...no no...don't look, you'll just upset him.
2004-10-20, 4:25 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
I thought the game was VERY boing. Once you play one level, you've played them all. It's all the same. Over and over. IMO.

It gets a lot better when you get to the levels where many of the enemies have guns. It's a lot more intense at the end.
Pissed Off?
2004-10-20, 4:34 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewoklover
Where do you live? it's raining here too.

Long Beach, Ca.
2004-10-20, 4:47 PM #16
I'm in northen calif. San Jose area. not raining any more.
This was like the worst october storm in a decade. mostly wind though, gusts up to and over 45 mph.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-20, 4:56 PM #17
I love that game. It scares people when I say that in public.

My favoirte weapon is the sickle. Wait til the target's red, and fire away with the sickle.

And the plastic bag is cool too.
2004-10-20, 11:09 PM #18
That game bores me stupid.
Some of the killing animations are interesting but the gameplay is just meh
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-20, 11:17 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewoklover
I'm in northen calif. San Jose area. not raining any more.
This was like the worst october storm in a decade. mostly wind though, gusts up to and over 45 mph.

Another Massassian from the Bay Area, I see. ;)
Pissed Off?
2004-10-21, 7:29 AM #20
Manhunt is a really good example of a game's potential being crushed by console limitations. The awkward control system, the low colour depth, the irritating lock-on function, designated 'save points' all symptoms of crappy-port-itis. The fighting system was pretty bad too, but I never used it, so that didn't bother me.

I eventually overcame the console-ness irritation and the game started to pick up and be mildly amusing. There's a small variety of weapons, and you walk up behind an enemy and hold down an attack button to perform an 'execution'. The longer you hold it down the more violent the execution. This was a pretty good system, as I often had to choose between taking the fellow down quickly or taking the risk and following him for a few seconds more and get more points for a gruesome execution. My only gripe was that I often managed to achieve the most gruesome execution for all the enemies and recieved the same rating as if I was only half as gruesome.

The violence is supposedly the selling point of this game, and it's fairly amusing the first times you see an execution. It's really overrated, though, especially by those lobbying to ban it. The sound effects are fairly good, but the animations aren't very violent as the bodies don't deform very well. For one execution, you stab an enemy with a sickle and pull it up his stomach. All you see is a sprout of fuzzy redness, looking like a cloud of blood. His stomach doesn't actually rip open, the body doesn't deform at all, so it's a bit bland. The only deformations are the beheadings, and these are fairly good, but if something like the SoF 2 engine was used, then the violence would be a real pull factor. This was a bit of a cop out.

There are only three executions per weapon, and you can only hold three weapons at at time (and there are very few weapons across the maps), so you're likely to see the same scene a LOT of times, so eventually you'll just get bored of it. If you're thinking of getting this game because you love gruesome horror violence, be prepared to be dissapointed. You might be excited by it at first but you'll grow to be bored of it quite quickly.

But the near of the game, it really picks up, and it becomes a pretty decent stealth game. You're fighting enemies with assault rifles, and they'll kill you quite quickly, so firefights aren't really an option. You have to sneak up behind and execute them. This makes it really rather tense, luring them into a trap and killing them, as you know if you do it wrong you're dead. Unfortunately, this is near to the very end of the game, so there's not nearly enough of the real stealth action.

I thought this game had proper potential, but fell short. For many things, I blame the console limitations. It really could have used lots more executions and a more complicated execution system, lots more weapons, and a more complicated damage location system (ala SoF2). For other things, I blame the lazy programmers, like the very linear gameplay, and when standing in shadows you're more or less totally invisible.

Does anyone know if there are any alternative Starkweather end scenes? I just ran at him and cut him up - I was wondering if you could execute him. It didn't save at that point, and I couldn't be bothered to go through the five Cereberus again.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!