Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Wireless Internet
Wireless Internet
2004-10-20, 3:15 PM #1
Hey, I need to move my computer to my basement while still maintaining the cable internet connection...is it possible? And if I already have a LinkSys BEFSR41 V3 on my other computer (the one staying upstairs), which product should I get? Is it possible?

So, in a nutshell: I have two comps. One stays upstairs, one stays downstairs. I have a LinkSys Router (see above). Which product should I buy to move one comp down to the basement, while keeping the internet connection?
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-10-20, 5:25 PM #2
You need to install another LinkSys adaptor inside the computer that's going to be wireless. I'm using it now. LinkSys can be $@^&@y somtimes, but it is still great. Play Star Wars Galaxies with it all the time..

The router is what cost the most, but, since you have that, just get the card now. They have a labtop card (just plug it in to the adaptor port) and they have a PC card (manually take the cover off, put it inside a port like the one your 56k was in).

Other people may know more than me. LinkSys may have more information on the type of card depending on your computer type.
2004-10-20, 7:13 PM #3
So, you have two computers. One of them already has a wireless network card, and the other doesn't, and you have a wireless router?
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-10-20, 8:48 PM #4
Run the cable down to the basement? That's what our family did. (Well, to the living room downstairs. We also ran audio/video cables down to the basement, though.)
2004-10-21, 1:28 PM #5
Well, both computers right now are in the same room. I'm using a LinkSys to link them to one modem. I'm wondering if theres someway I can put a wireless thing on one to put it downstairs, so it goes through the same modem. I have cable...
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-10-21, 2:32 PM #6
Yes, very possible. I'm doing that now. Just put in a Linksys card to the computer that's gonna be wireless.
2004-10-21, 5:35 PM #7
wait, now i need to know info if its possible:
1) would i hafta take apart the comp to put in this card?
2) link to the product?
3) This means I would hafta buy another router? Or just this card, and something that plugs into the main router?
2004-10-21, 5:47 PM #8
If you're going to move your PC to the basement, you need to take the cover off and place a wireless internet card (that LinkSys sells) and install it on that computer. You do not have to purchase anything other than that card (unless you don't have the router.)

LinkSys has more information, and installation instructions (along with diagrams to help you out). Click on that to go to the company site.
2004-10-21, 5:56 PM #9
aight, thnx

↑ Up to the top!