Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Account Activations
Account Activations
2004-10-21, 8:26 AM #1
What is the benefit to having a user activate their account?

I'm currently in a revival process with an admin of another board that had open registration. Massassi is successful and uses user activation.

ANyway, just seeing what the board thinks.
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2004-10-21, 8:32 AM #2
Requiring the user to wait for an email, and then click on the link within that email to activate their accounts, verifies that they have registered using an active and unique email account.
2004-10-21, 8:48 AM #3
Would it be logical to assume that members that just want to drive by post (a problem we have a lot - as a creative writing site, we get a lot of folks who through up a work they want critiqued, and then never show up after it's done) - would be less inclined to post if they had to get an e-mail and verify first?
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2004-10-21, 8:56 AM #4
Yes.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-21, 10:16 AM #5
Massassi's original forums didn't require registration, they were completely anonymous. The second set was the UBB and if I recall correctly we allowed anonymous posts. To build your community, registration can really hurt. However, once you get too big, not requiring registration can really hurt. Even after that, we didn't use activation for quite a while, even when we were using registration. Once the community gets to be a certain size you start getting trolls who like to register a thousand accounts, and when that time hits, you just have to turn on activation.

↑ Up to the top!