Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Happy Mole Day!
Happy Mole Day!
2004-10-21, 5:43 PM #1
Here's a thread to celebrate Mole Day! We had it in school today, since Saturday is off. I made a t-shirt. To make it official, what are you planning to do to celebrate this wonderful event?

[/nerd]
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-10-21, 5:49 PM #2
Pardon my ignorance, but WTF is Mole Day?
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-10-21, 5:49 PM #3
It's from chemistry: 6.02 * 10^23

http://www.moleday.org/
Pissed Off?
2004-10-21, 5:50 PM #4
Mole Day is a day used to celebrate the measurement of "mole." A mole is an amount of mass equal to 6.022 x 10^23 particles. So an element would have 6.022 x 10^23 atoms in it, and so on. This number is called Avagadrios Number.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-10-21, 5:58 PM #5
Yeah. Chemistry pretty much sucks.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-10-21, 6:01 PM #6
Wow. :eek: How will you celebrate mole day?
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-21, 6:32 PM #7
Well, I like to eat chips with Guaca-MOLE-y and AVAGADRIO dip...get it?
2004-10-21, 6:40 PM #8
Yay!

[http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/2002/images/AustinPowers_Mole.jpg]
2004-10-21, 6:44 PM #9
Avagadro. He's also the guy who's captain friggin obvious (look up his gas law).
D E A T H
2004-10-21, 9:08 PM #10
chemistry can .. nevermind... WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO CELEBRATE THE MOLE?
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-21, 9:25 PM #11
Chemistry is awesome. That is all.
D E A T H
2004-10-21, 9:31 PM #12
Why isn't it on 6/02 from 10:23AM to 10:23PM? I sure hope I'm not missing something obvious here
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
2004-10-22, 1:00 AM #13
I have a lot of moles.
2004-10-22, 5:47 AM #14
Damn you, I was planning on posting this tomorrow! Way to jump the gun. Oh well, happy Mole Day (tomorrow) everyone!
Stuff
2004-10-22, 5:56 AM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Chemistry is awesome. That is all.
2004-10-22, 5:58 AM #16
Quote:
Avagadro. He's also the guy who's captain friggin obvious (look up his gas law).

Yeah, just like gravity and even the laws of thermodynamics seem 'friggin' obvious when you've had a late 20th century education. I'd like to have seen you work this stuff out with no modern teaching. Ungrateful idiot.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-10-22, 6:16 AM #17
<3 Thrawn456476423
2004-10-22, 6:49 AM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by maevie
Yeah, just like gravity and even the laws of thermodynamics seem 'friggin' obvious when you've had a late 20th century education. I'd like to have seen you work this stuff out with no modern teaching. Ungrateful idiot.

Oh shove off--have you even seen his gas law?

Avogadro's Law: Doubling the number of moles of gas doubles its volume, if temperature and pressure aren't changed.

* A flat tire takes up less space than an inflated tire.
* Lungs expand as they fill with air. Exhaling decreases the volume of the lungs.
* A balloon filled with helium weighs much less than an identical balloon filled with air. (Avogadro's Law implies that equal volumes contain equal numbers of molecules, when pressure and temperature are held constant. Since both balloons contain the same number of molecules, and since helium atoms have lower mass than either oxygen molecules or nitrogen molecules in air, the helium balloon is lighter.)
* Wet air is less dense than moist air (see the FAQ on gases for an explanation)

Sorry if I think that's just him being captain friggin obvious. And no, a lot of physics and chem laws are not even close to that bad (though some are, and worse). Also--I'm neither ungrateful, nor an idiot.
D E A T H
2004-10-22, 9:09 AM #19
Wait, who decided it should be on the 23rd?
2004-10-22, 3:19 PM #20
6.02 * (10 ^ 23[/i])
D E A T H
2004-10-22, 3:29 PM #21
I think it should be on the 6th of February or the 2nd of June, since those numbers are kinda more significant, I think.
2004-10-22, 3:31 PM #22
Quote:
Oh shove off--have you even seen his gas law?

Avogadro's Law: Doubling the number of moles of gas doubles its volume, if temperature and pressure aren't changed.

* A flat tire takes up less space than an inflated tire.
* Lungs expand as they fill with air. Exhaling decreases the volume of the lungs.
* A balloon filled with helium weighs much less than an identical balloon filled with air. (Avogadro's Law implies that equal volumes contain equal numbers of molecules, when pressure and temperature are held constant. Since both balloons contain the same number of molecules, and since helium atoms have lower mass than either oxygen molecules or nitrogen molecules in air, the helium balloon is lighter.)
* Wet air is less dense than moist air (see the FAQ on gases for an explanation)

Sorry if I think that's just him being captain friggin obvious. And no, a lot of physics and chem laws are not even close to that bad (though some are, and worse). Also--I'm neither ungrateful, nor an idiot.

Quote:
Originally posted by maevie
2004-10-22, 3:37 PM #23
Gravity makes stuff fall.
Moo.

↑ Up to the top!