Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I hate phones.
I hate phones.
2003-12-15, 12:20 PM #1
Call up Barnes and Nobel: Hello, this is Barnes and Nobel in Smithfield, this is Christine,how may I help you?

Me: How much is 24, Season 1?

Christine: Please hold.

*****ty christmas music*

*2 mins later* Hello, Electronics, how may I help you.

Me: How much is 24, Season 1.

Electronics Guy: Uhhh.. just one miniute please

*Put on hold with ****ty music for 9 mins*

E'Tron Guy: It's $59.99, sir.

*silence*

E'Tron Guy: Sir?

Me: Oh sorry, I dozed off...umm has the price of the DVD change within the past year and a half I've been on hold?

*silence*

Me: No? Okay then, goodbye.

------------------
I once knew a man from Nantucket....isn't that just dandy?
Think while it's still legal.
2003-12-15, 12:23 PM #2
heh

------------------
" You killed me. That wasn't very nice."
Noble Gases
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2003-12-15, 12:27 PM #3
mmkay? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2003-12-15, 12:31 PM #4
Such great service nowadays, huh?

------------------
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
/Banana starts dancing
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2003-12-15, 12:34 PM #5
People are busy, they may not be able to see what you need first. Get over it.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2003-12-15, 12:37 PM #6
[http://ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/negative20.jpg]

------------------
Kote
Kote
2003-12-15, 12:38 PM #7
Ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Oh, wait. That's not funny. It's rude.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
Jack Chick preaches it
NMGOH
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2003-12-15, 12:40 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">People are busy, they may not be able to see what you need first. Get over it. </font>

I go to B&N almost every week, the phones are right next to the people which are right next to the computers...and the person wasnt busy, because when I was transfered, the guy obviously took me off hold after that 2 mins, because he was ready to help me. unless he was ready to help me, then decided to wander off and help other people... And even if someone was ahead of me..9 mins?

------------------
2003-12-15, 12:52 PM #9
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

The very large majority of big companies have websites these days, complete with online catalogues. It's about a million times faster and easier than calling them up.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-15, 12:52 PM #10
Wow... 10 minutes down the drain... Ever consider the fact that maybe he really was busy?

------------------
Kote
Kote
2003-12-15, 12:54 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The very large majority of big companies have websites these days, complete with online catalogues. It's about a million times faster and easier than calling them up.</font>

I need this by friday, plus the online prices are most of the time different from the store. stuff is usually cheaper online.

List Price: $59.98
Our Price: $41.98
You Save: $18.00 (30%)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Wow... 10 minutes down the drain... Ever consider the fact that maybe he really was busy?</font>

He wasn't....thats why he took me OFF hold, and asked me what I wanted.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited December 15, 2003).]
2003-12-15, 1:02 PM #12
Hmmm... A reason more to insult people...

------------------
Kote
Kote
2003-12-15, 1:12 PM #13
Just because he took you off hold doesn't mean he isn't still busy...for all you know he got the call his mother died whie he was looking for the price. There was no reason to insult him.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2003-12-15, 1:21 PM #14
But...he......wasn't...busy...His mom is fine...and he wasn't busy. one reason because I didn't hear any voices in the background, and plus....HE PICKED UP THE PHONE AFTER 2 mins. which means he was busy 2 mins AGO..and his mother is fine...and he wasn't busy....and he wasn't busy.

------------------
2003-12-15, 2:21 PM #15
Try not to get so upset so easily...

------------------
Kote
Kote
2003-12-15, 2:28 PM #16
[http://www.boomspeed.com/redwingjs/stopwhining.JPG]

Newsflash: The world does not revovle around you!!

Heaven forbid the person who answered the phone actually have to look up the price of your item or deal with other customers who are in the store as well.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-15, 2:31 PM #17
9 mins..thats all I have to say.. And he wasn't busy! It was just me and him, mano y mano! He wouldn't of picked up teh phone and said "Can I help you?" If he was that busy.

------------------
2003-12-15, 2:35 PM #18
Well, I, for one, support whining and the general hatred of companies with "please hold" procedures and their employees.

------------------
Archimedes: Pseudo-intellectual since 1986
www.retronetworks.com
2003-12-15, 2:37 PM #19
You don't know that. You're assuming the guy was there to cater to your needs and your needs only. Keep in mind, these people are workng the floor in the store. They aren't sitting in an office, waiting to do pric checks for people who call. What if he was the only person on the department and there were people waiting in line to check out before he picked up the phone? What if he was helping another customer when he picked up the phone? Do you really expect him to drop everyting he was doing, including other customers, and help you? If you do, you need to gorw up.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited December 15, 2003).]
Pissed Off?
2003-12-15, 2:41 PM #20
I was at a local music store the other day (they sell guitars, flutes, ect., not cd's) and the lady was REALLY busy. She picked up the phone and asked what they needed, put them on hold, picked up the other line and asked them while searching for what person A wanted, asked them to hold, seached on another computer for what B wanted, rung up someone at the register, went back to A, then to B, then rung someone else up.

People are busy, and they multi-task. He may have had someone else on the other line, and been helping people in the store.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2003-12-15, 2:42 PM #21
My mom works at Barnes and Noble, and they are usually able to handle the phones very quickly... unless they must attend to another customer that is actually in the store at the time, which is very often.
sigs are fun stuff
2003-12-15, 2:50 PM #22
Ok, try thinking about it this way:

Employers want their empployees to put you on hold when there are other customers in the store. They would much rather give priority to a person in the store than a person on phone. A person in the store is more likely to make a purchase than a person on the phone. They want to secure purchases that are likely, like a person actually in the store, as opposed to some kid calling a dozen different stores for prices. The odds are much better of making a sale to a person in the store that a person on a phone.

If you were selling something, would you give priority to a guy, in line, credit card ready, who wants to hurry up and go home, or some person too lazy to go outside who calls you up on the phone during the busiest time of the year?
2003-12-15, 3:30 PM #23
The point I was trying to...wait I didn't even intend to make a point at the beggining...I just thought that phone convo was funny.. meh.. /me ducks down as the thread backfires..

oh well, atleast this thread is turning into a nice debate :/

------------------
2003-12-15, 3:40 PM #24
Smithfield? Rhode Island?

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2003-12-15, 3:46 PM #25
I'm still wondering why people make threads about such insignificant things that happen in their lives.

------------------
You will respect my authoritah!
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2003-12-15, 3:47 PM #26
Yes..and your from Newport right?

------------------
2003-12-15, 3:50 PM #27
Sajn has obviously never worked retail...
Honestly, I think all these snotty kids should be required to take a retail course in HS or college. The experience gained from even only a couple of months in retail is enough to make you realize IT'S NOT A FUN FREAKING JOB....

And yeah, they were most likely multi-tasking. When I'm at work, I am ringing someone up while doing a price check and helping someone else pick out a game all at the same time quite often.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2003-12-15, 3:59 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Honestly, I think all these snotty kids should be required to take a retail course in HS or college. The experience gained from even only a couple of months in retail is enough to make you realize IT'S NOT A FUN FREAKING JOB....
And yeah, they were most likely multi-tasking. When I'm at work, I am ringing someone up while doing a price check and helping someone else pick out a game all at the same time quite often.</font>

Try working at a grocery store, then being a buskid/bar back. it's a pain. Since I was only 14 when I bar backed (do I smell illegal?) I couldn't actually get anyone a beer...so everyone in the bar just yells at you for stuff you cant get..and then when you bring people there food they ask for things you dont have then tell you "Well, you should have it!" and at the grocery store all the old people that are to shakey to get change, put there purses out and tell me to get them change.. or they empty there entire change purse on the counter and count it out penny by penny. then there is the people who think they can use cupons 2 or 3 times! and the kids that walk around with permanant markers, dent cans and mark the prices down. Then at the reasturant "the special says it's $9.00, you charged us $12.00.." then I say "No, the special is only on mondays" they say "Well I didn't know that, you should put up a sign or something! Take this off my bill" Even though there is a huge sign near the enterance of the reasturant that has the specials and there prices.. and it's on the menu... Plus I have to deal with the waitresses. I have to do there jobs for them! they stand around gossiping all day, and then they complain about me! But when I quit the boss was begging me to come back, cause I was the only bus kid that actually did work! So don't tell me about SUCKY JOBS..and if yer job sucks so much, just do like me and quit! yay! Then you can do like me and post all your complaints that nobody cares about on these forums.

------------------
2003-12-15, 4:39 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Compos Mentis:
Sajn has obviously never worked retail...
Honestly, I think all these snotty kids should be required to take a retail course in HS or college. The experience gained from even only a couple of months in retail is enough to make you realize IT'S NOT A FUN FREAKING JOB....
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Try working at a grocery store, then being a buskid/bar back. it's a pain. Since I was only 14 when I bar backed (do I smell illegal?) I couldn't actually get anyone a beer...so everyone in the bar just yells at you for stuff you cant get..and then when you bring people there food they ask for things you dont have then tell you "Well, you should have it!" and at the grocery store all the old people that are to shakey to get change, put there purses out and tell me to get them change.. or they empty there entire change purse on the counter and count it out penny by penny. then there is the people who think they can use cupons 2 or 3 times! and the kids that walk around with permanant markers, dent cans and mark the prices down. Then at the reasturant "the special says it's $9.00, you charged us $12.00.." then I say "No, the special is only on mondays" they say "Well I didn't know that, you should put up a sign or something! Take this off my bill" Even though there is a huge sign near the enterance of the reasturant that has the specials and there prices.. and it's on the menu... Plus I have to deal with the waitresses. I have to do there jobs for them! they stand around gossiping all day, and then they complain about me! But when I quit the boss was begging me to come back, cause I was the only bus kid that actually did work! So don't tell me about SUCKY JOBS..and if yer job sucks so much, just do like me and quit! yay! Then you can do like me and post all your complaints that nobody cares about on these forums.</font>

PWNED.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-15, 4:53 PM #30
I work at Best Buy in the Wireless & PDA's department, so I deal with home phones and cell phones and PDAs. We're almost always busy and it's a HUGE ANNOYANCE when people call in asking dumb questions like "HERRO! QHAT IS DE PRIZE ON DIS CHELL PHONWE!?" well, they dont sound like that but still. They get mad when we put them on hold for 10 minutes because we're helping someone or they call us asking some random question and we transfer them to the correct department. I cant tell you how many times I've gotten calls asking if we have lower prices than Circuit City. HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?!

And I've worked several other jobs, like what SAJN described. I know the pain that employees suffer. Be nice to the people that serve you please.
------------------
~amor sui~
<< schming stout >>

[This message has been edited by Schming (edited December 15, 2003).]
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2003-12-15, 8:19 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
PWNED.

</font>

No. When he comes and says that he knows how much it sucks, but he'll continue to be a jerk anyways....yeah
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2003-12-15, 8:38 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
I work at Best Buy in the Wireless & PDA's department, so I deal with home phones and cell phones and PDAs.</font>

I'm interested in a Pocket PC that supports .NET. Any suggestions? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
2003-12-16, 12:37 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I work at Best Buy</font>
I practically live at best buy [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2003-12-16, 1:38 AM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm still wondering why people make threads about such insignificant things that happen in their lives.</font>

So am I, but I've been wondering for 4+ years here, so I guess it's unexplainable..
2003-12-16, 5:28 AM #35
I used to work Retail. Ill tell you this, half the time when we put someone on hold, we didnt even have to. We already knew the price, or the amount of stock, or whatever the customer wanted, we just thought it would be funny to put them on hold for a few minutes.

Yeah, we lost alot of customers. But it was sure a damn good laugh. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Fight the future.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2003-12-16, 5:28 AM #36
Jipe, dude, long time! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Fight the future.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

↑ Up to the top!