Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What would Massassi be like if....
What would Massassi be like if....
2004-12-04, 2:58 PM #1
....there were no Admins?

Imagine a situation where everything was allowed, no subject was taboo, no admin-induced post edits were forced upon users, and where there was no swear filter.

Troublemakers could still be banned, but only after the issue was brought to a vote. No one would have the power to ban people arbitrarily.

I feel that most of us are at the maturity level where such a system would be feasible. Then, Massassi could be more like a democracy.

what do you think?
2004-12-04, 3:01 PM #2
Open democracy sucks per the Enlightenment, Locke, and history through the Reign of terror.
一个大西瓜
2004-12-04, 3:05 PM #3
I imagine it would be much like Zone.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-12-04, 3:06 PM #4
sounds more like communism to me than democracy... But that's just me (I don't know much about either anyways)
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-12-04, 3:08 PM #5
It'd be rubbish.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-12-04, 3:09 PM #6
This place would degrade FAST.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-12-04, 3:14 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
It'd be rubbish.
2004-12-04, 3:18 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf

woah, it can get worse!?
2004-12-04, 4:28 PM #9
It'd probably be filled with stories of how PageWizard spends nights with girls.

In other words: What Detty said.
2004-12-04, 4:40 PM #10
omfg gothix, you blocked me on msn. .. . . ... . .. . I suspect massassi would be as bad as that.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2004-12-04, 4:44 PM #11
The strongest would divide and conquer the weak so is the order of the universe.
Time is but a window
Death is but a doorway
He'll be back
2004-12-04, 4:51 PM #12
None will survive but the Elite, you must defeat them guardian.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2004-12-04, 4:51 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane
sounds more like communism to me than democracy... But that's just me (I don't know much about either anyways)

anyway, it'd probably take a big hit at first, sort of like how every other thread had a completely unnecessary poll when we moved to the new forums, but it'd even itself out eventually and probably end up being just the same as it's always been.
The whole admin 'thing' isn't really a problem here, as much as I can see. The sticky threads with things like "don't post about dead animals!!!" and things like that are quite idiotic, but they sort of add to the comedy value of the forums.
Swearing filters do make the forums look quite silly. It's not like asterixes really change anything, you don't need to have that much of an imagination to think of a four-letter word that begins 'mother' and ends 'ing'. But it is pretty useful for those of us that visit Massassi through school connections, where far sillier internet filters may well block sites with swearing, so the swear filter prevents Massassi from being blocked, or at least reduces the chance of it being blocked.

Unmoderation wouldn't really make that much of a difference anyway. The Massassi forums don't really suffer from ridiculous rules or anal retentive enforcing. The #massassi IRC channel, however..
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-12-04, 5:32 PM #14
without admins this place would degrade into nothingness. i think a lot of people here take for granted that we have some good admins. without admins, i have a feeling most of the people with some shred of intellegence would leave.

#massassi on the other hand, i don't think is too bad. you just can't be stupid because there are no swear filters in a chat room.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-12-04, 5:51 PM #15
Quote:
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-12-04, 5:58 PM #16
all the cranks would go ape****.
2004-12-04, 6:24 PM #17
It would suck... bad.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-12-04, 6:31 PM #18
It would consist of threads about:
Weed
Dead baby/Jew jokes
And how everyone's religion is stupid/wrong
2004-12-04, 6:40 PM #19
The forums would be full of "leaving" threads, except people would actually be leaving because Massassi would suck.
2004-12-04, 6:59 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
It would consist of threads about:
Weed
Dead baby/Jew jokes
And how everyone's religion is stupid/wrong

Don't forget:
+ Warez peddling
+ rampant flamewars over anything from xenophobia (someone'd start ("My country is better than your country, you still owe us for [historic event], etc."), counter, counter-retort), to wrestling ("It's fake and homoerotic!", "No it isn't!".
+ "shock-site" picture threads, (bodily functions, gruesome disfigurements, etc.)
+ ebaumsworld "OMG U HOMO!" -type picture posts, at least a dozen a page.
+ 3 words. EVOLUTION vs. CREATION

No. It'd be really stupid. Massed crowds are dumb enough as it is in real life, I've never seen an internet forum that would be able to sustain itself without some form of appointed moderation.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-12-04, 7:17 PM #21
If we closed registration, I think it would be fine. Probably just more like SA.
2004-12-04, 7:26 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Jedigreedo
I imagine it would be much like Zone.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-12-04, 7:45 PM #23
Well I doubt the ISB would notice much... ;)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-12-04, 7:58 PM #24
Quote:
It'd be rubbish.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-12-04, 8:08 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Gebohq
Well I doubt the ISB would notice much... ;)

do you do anything gebohq, except occationally edit posts for humorus effect?
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-12-04, 8:12 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane

Communism would be if all of us were moderators and there was a shadowy super-admin who pulled strings and made us think we were empowered to do whatever we wanted.
2004-12-04, 8:27 PM #27
It'd be kind of like Rwanda. Everyone would be like: "Yay! Majority rule!" And then the majority would be like: "We hate XYZ because they abused us and got away with it because of the admins." Then XYZ get banned because the majority took revenge.
2004-12-05, 2:06 AM #28
Someone's a little peeved his warez orgy posts got killed I see.

You can discuss warez techiniques in detail if you want to....on another forum. Nothings stopping you from making your own. You can have all the democracy you want there.

Until that day you have to conform to our communist ways.
2004-12-05, 4:07 AM #29
Yes... And don't forget all the poor admins/mods here. Surely moderating this site defines a large portion of their lives and personalities. What would they be or do without that job?
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-12-05, 4:36 AM #30
Eeeeeowwwww...

Boom.

That, my friends, is the sound Massassi makes when subjected to democracy.

Of course, no-one would notice, because things like this are common on Communist Soviet Russian Secret Intelligence Forums.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-12-05, 6:32 AM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Warlord
If we closed registration, I think it would be fine. Probably just more like SA.

SA is SA because it has 100 times the amount of rules we have, not because it has less.
2004-12-05, 6:50 AM #32
Leave the forums the way they are this place will never be SA unless you wanna start with more rules and registration costs... get over it.
2004-12-05, 7:14 AM #33
The place would probably be in about that same state as it is now
nope.
2004-12-05, 8:14 AM #34
Quote:
It'd be rubbish.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-12-05, 10:04 AM #35
Quote:

yea i cant even imagine what #Massassi would be like too if MBegger didnt keep banning me:-p
░▒▓█▓▒░?░▒▓█▓▒░
2004-12-05, 10:55 AM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
SA is SA because it has 100 times the amount of rules we have, not because it has less.

Massassi has 15 "forum rules", SA has 17, and yet the despite this huge 2 rule difference, the awful forums are much more open.
2004-12-05, 12:20 PM #37
Quote:

Indeed.
Pissed Off?
2004-12-05, 1:37 PM #38
SA and Massassi's rules are fairly similar the only difference between the two is that SA enforces its rules RIGOROUSLY. Flamers, trolls, morons, and idiots are quickly ousted from the forums. If Lowtax were put in charge of Massassi for a day we'd see a large chunk of users banned.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-12-05, 1:43 PM #39
I know of a forum that's completely uncensored. It started out good. It's really started to suck hardcore lately.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-12-05, 2:09 PM #40
Quote:
SA and Massassi's rules are fairly similar the only difference between the two is that SA enforces its rules RIGOROUSLY. Flamers, trolls, morons, and idiots are quickly ousted from the forums. If Lowtax were put in charge of Massassi for a day we'd see a large chunk of users banned.

That's not the point. Morons and idiots being banned is a good thing. But the situation that Page described in his original post, where "everything is allowed, no subject is taboo, and there is no swear filter" is exactly what SA is like.

↑ Up to the top!