Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stupid Injuries
Stupid Injuries
2005-01-07, 7:56 AM #1
Ok, so I'm coming up the stairs, heading over to my desk with a nice hot bowl of instant oatmeal.

I trip.

Not so bad that I couldnt stop myself falling, but holding a book AND a bowl of oatmeal didnt help. I stop my fall, and on reflex I try and stop the bowl that is still on its way out of my hands.

Whoops.

This stuff just got nuked in my microwave, and I now have three fingers in the middle of it. Half a second of staring in disbelief at what I did and then I decided to drop the bowl and shake my hand furiously (getting oatmeal on the carpet, wall and book) before belting for the bathroom and rinsing my fingers under cold water whilst trying to get rid of the boiling hot goo that is now causing me an extreme amount of pain.

Thankfully, only one finger is still hurting, the other two seem to be ok now (which is how I'm typing this)

It wasnt really stupidity that caused it, my reflexes did that - but its a stupid injury nonetheless. Post yours!
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-01-07, 8:24 AM #2
Remids me of the time I stopped a solderng iron falling off the desk :-\ That wast the smartest think i ever did.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-07, 8:44 AM #3
Melbourne Exhibition Center. Huge open area under a roof. The floor is carpeted, and completely flat for hundreds of meters in every direction. Managed to inexplicably trip and severely roll my ankle.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-07, 9:32 AM #4
Well, I know this guy who managed to cut himself while attempting to sharpen a plastic fork with a grinder.
Stuff
2005-01-07, 10:19 AM #5
Sure, but have any of you ever had a severe freezer burn? I got my hand stuck in a freezer for about a minute or two once until I could finally pry it loose. It required medical attention.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-07, 11:36 AM #6
i grabbed a burning hot pop tart out of the toaster....burnt my thumb so bad, that when i went to meps to enlist....when they thumbprinted me....my left thumbprint isn't recognizable. XD
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-01-07, 11:58 AM #7
I once accidentally touched the coiled metal sheath on the inside of an oven, and I got a 3rd degree burn from it, albeit only on a small part of my hand.
2005-01-07, 12:24 PM #8
Accidentally stepped into a smoldering burn pit......
Ever wonder what would happen if you took every dangerous substance in the world and mixed them all together? Hehehehe.....
2005-01-07, 12:51 PM #9
I once broke a nail when fooling around with an armed nuclear weapon.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-07, 12:58 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
I once broke a nail when fooling around with an armed nuclear weapon.

Is that a sexual innuendo?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-07, 1:02 PM #11
When I was like 3 or 4, I stuck my tongue on a metal rail in the middle of winter. Realizeing my tongue was stuck, I forcefully ripped it loose. Blood tastes good.

Also around that age, I attempted to unplug a toaster with my mouth. Quite a shocking experience. *buh dum tsh*

When I was about 13 or 14, I ran my bicycle into a parked car and broke my hand.

More recently...
Nearly everytime I solder something, I burn myself. So I don't know why I attempted to solder something while pantless. Ouch.

Never attempt to melt candles down while pantless, either. Hot wax has a tendency to burn. Getting it off without torturing critical body parts is impossible.

Pants are for chumps.

>.>
<.<

Also, I like to light my socks on fire while wearing them for entertainment purposes. Hairspray is also fun, and burns *quite* hot.

Yes, I'm a pyro. Fire is cool.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-07, 1:03 PM #12
A not so stupid accident I had a long time ago.

Standing in my kitchen, picking up the just-boiling kettle. As I turn to pour the nice, hot water into the cup, I slip on a very small patch of water that my beloved brother left there. I go down, kettle goes up and lands on my foot. 3rd degree burns through my shoe, but thankfully the scarring has mostly gone now. >.<
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-01-07, 1:21 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi
Remids me of the time I stopped a solderng iron falling off the desk :-\ That wast the smartest think i ever did.

Did that too. It hurt like a *****.
2005-01-07, 3:05 PM #14
I've cut myself a few times being stupid with a pocket knife and, and I have some nice scars that remind me of my stupidity.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-07, 4:19 PM #15
I once tried to slow my bike down with my foot by holding it on my front tire, lets just say, it was an "uplifting" experience. ;)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-07, 4:25 PM #16
I didn't have matches to light a candle once...so I made my own out of Rubbing Alchohol and Q-Tips, then I lit the q-tip on fire with my stove....I lit the candle downstairs, and then I went to move and I hit the bottle of rubbing alcohol...my entire couch was in flames, as was some of my floor. Luckily the flames had to burn through the alchohol first...so I stomped it out real fast like and smothered it with a blanket.

Quote:
Did that too. It hurt like a *****.

Yeah, I did that once before :(
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-07, 4:27 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
I've cut myself a few times being stupid with a pocket knife and, and I have some nice scars that remind me of my stupidity.

I cut myself many times being stupid with a pocket knife and, and I have some nice scars that remind me of my stupidity. But thankfully people were there for me, some in particular, they know who they are. I really think Self Harm should be taken more seriously in school education, I didn't know about it till I did it. :(
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-07, 4:33 PM #18
i once jumped out of a moving car (albiet a slow one) and got run over by the rear wheel

and on work experience i got asked to pick up some items left out side to cool, the had supposedly been out there for 3 hours,
however some one had collected the privious batch and replaced it with a new one not long before :eek: , yes it hurt
2005-01-07, 5:03 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi

Sorry, that must've hurt, but it's hiliarious!
"NAILFACE" - spe
2005-01-07, 5:11 PM #20
I slammed my car door on my right hand about 6 months ago. And I do mean slammed. It smashed up my fingers pretty good, and I had a nasty gash right below my thumb.

I couldnt use my trackball properly for a week. :(
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-07, 5:17 PM #21
A week or so ago I opened the sliding window next to my computer to flick the snowcovered windowscreen, snow fell, i was glad, and closed the window on my middle fingernail... it's still bruised
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-01-07, 5:20 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Seb
Sorry, that must've hurt, but it's hiliarious!

Don't laugh, I did the same thing! I couldn't play bass for two weeks while waiting for the skin to grow back on my fingertips. Then I had to build up my calluses again. :(
2005-01-07, 6:07 PM #23
I've been smacked across the face by a flying cricket bat. nearly broke my nose. And just this week i slammed my finger in a drawer at work and chopped a chunk off my right middle....

also my mate macca cut his hand up on a TENNIS BALL. Mystery to this day,
2005-01-07, 6:14 PM #24
I've sliced open my finger with a scalpel, I've burnt my hand on molten sulphur, I've shut my finger in a door, I've had my face sideswiped by a car, I've burnt myself an unreal amount of times with a soldering iron, I've smashed in my face from when I ran into a door, I've cut myself badly after diving through a plate-glass window, I've split my head open when I ran into a metal pole, I was nearly hit by a shot put... there's probably more.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-07, 8:05 PM #25
How the hell do you cut your hand with a tennis ball? :confused:

That must take some kind of talent I'm glad I don't have. :eek:
Pissed Off?
2005-01-09, 6:37 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
Don't laugh, I did the same thing! I couldn't play bass for two weeks while waiting for the skin to grow back on my fingertips. Then I had to build up my calluses again. :(
You call those callouses? I burn mine... and I feel nothing.

Although I did manage to jab a violin string into one while "testing" how strong my callouses were. Yeah, that hurt.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-09, 6:40 PM #27
I can burn them with a lighter or a match, but there's no contest against a soldering iron. Especially a 45 W one.
2005-01-09, 6:47 PM #28
head + radiator = scar on forehead
All your bacon are belong to me

< robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
< bawss> Right click.

http://www.bash.org/?462310
2005-01-09, 6:53 PM #29
well, I blame this on low blood sugar, but I was trying to clumsily open a can of chili in 4th or 5th grade and I sliced my thumb pretty good. as in, almst cut the tip off. I didn't, I just have a light scar, but I was afraid of chili cans for years to come.

And then there was the time I was on a nature trail at camp, between 5th and 6th grade and a tree branch from about 70 feet up hit me square on the top of my head. lots of blood. I needed staples for that one, and they had to shave around the cut, so I had these two little bunny-ear looking locks of hair poking out of the top of my head as I was going into middle school that no amount of gel could seem to keep down.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-01-09, 6:55 PM #30
SAJN_Master: "I cut my thumb off with an axe!"

Winner.
2005-01-09, 7:01 PM #31
The stupidest one yet: I was 4 or 5 years old, and was up early and wanted to make myself breakfast, and I wanted a bagel. So I got a knife out (which at my age, I should not have been doing) and cut the bagel... with my finger in the hole. I just about cut my own finger off. I cut through half of the middle joint on my left index finger.
2005-01-09, 7:34 PM #32
Very young. Mom making rice krispy squares.

Element was red. Looked pretty. Wanted to touch.

Slam right palm into middle of burner. Mom watches for 2 seconds with :O and me smiling.

Realize that this hurts. peel hand off (leaving pieces of skin and such on the element) screaming.

yummy.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-09, 7:44 PM #33
I was just learning to roller blade, so I couldn't go as fast as everyone else. So what do I do? I go down this steep hill that was paved, but had large sharp gravel in it, so I was very bumpy. It also had a lot of loose gravel on it. At the very bottom I realized that I was probably going to fall, to I steered off the road into some gravel. It was painful.
2005-01-09, 9:22 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane
Very young. Mom making rice krispy squares.

Element was red. Looked pretty. Wanted to touch.

Slam right palm into middle of burner. Mom watches for 2 seconds with :O and me smiling.

Realize that this hurts. peel hand off (leaving pieces of skin and such on the element) screaming.

yummy.
Somewhat similar to what I have done... Only when I was little I threw my blanket onto the burner and whatched the flames rise. I realized it was bad for my blanket and pulled it off, resulting in slight burns on my hand...
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2005-01-09, 9:23 PM #35
Has anyone taken a sled and gone down a hill blocked by a fence? Or am I the only one...
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2005-01-09, 9:29 PM #36
Cactus... Looks so soft and fuzzy... Reach... Touch... - OWWW!
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-10, 4:26 AM #37
Disassembled a disposable camera (with a flash). Learnt the warning label: "High voltage inside" is there for a reason... Charging the flash right before I began to disassemble the device was probably not a wise choice after all.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-10, 3:15 PM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
Disassembled a disposable camera (with a flash). Learnt the warning label: "High voltage inside" is there for a reason... Charging the flash right before I began to disassemble the device was probably not a wise choice after all.
That's what I did! Only I carried through with opening it... I got shocked and it felt funny, then my thumb started to look funny. I got a funny little burn that was a bump on my skin and it turned blue. It hurt. Who knew the power of a disposable camera...

↑ Up to the top!