Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Headphones!
New Headphones!
2005-01-07, 12:14 PM #1
OMG! I just received my Grado SR80s today. Everything sounds sooooo much better. Listening to Stairway to Heaven was great before but now... You ever get that chest-tightening when you experience something beautiful? The sound these things put out is amazing.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
MithShrike: First Mateneer
Pimpin' Yerba Mate Drinker
2005-01-07, 9:31 PM #2
I "received" Sennheiser PX-200's for Christmas... they're still on backorder, I should get them in about a month. :(
2005-01-07, 9:35 PM #3
Oh god, I'd love to get some Grados someday. The warmth of the sound they produce is supposed to be amazing. What do you have for an amp?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-07, 9:38 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
Oh god, I'd love to get some Grados someday. The warmth of the sound they produce is supposed to be amazing. What do you have for an amp?

There's a small amp in my Game Theater XP but I'm thinking of asking MisterX on the [H] forums to build me one.
2005-01-07, 9:41 PM #5
nice, how much again?
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2005-01-07, 9:46 PM #6
Grado headphones have a very low impendance, so an amp is not too benficial, especially on the lower models. I upgraded from my SR-80 to a SR-325 with a SuperMacro amp and I am currently in audio bliss. The SR-80 is still a very good phone though.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-01-07, 9:49 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Malus
Grado headphones have a very low impendance, so an amp is not too benficial, especially on the lower models. I upgraded from my SR-80 to a SR-325 with a SuperMacro amp and I am currently in audio bliss. The SR-80 is still a very good phone though.

Yeah they are pretty low impedance and the GTXP isn't too powerful of an amp. Only reason I was thinkin of having MisterX build me an amp would be for future upgrades. Maybe get some Beyerdynamics... [wallet]Curse you HeadFi![/wallet]
2005-01-07, 9:50 PM #8
SR-325? Jebus!!
2005-01-07, 9:59 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by LonelyDagger
nice, how much again?

They retail for $90 but I got 'em lovingly used for $75 shipped. The guy had 'em for two weeks but never used 'em. Burned in for 100 hours when I got the cans.
2005-01-07, 10:04 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
I "received" Sennheiser PX-200's for Christmas... they're still on backorder, I should get them in about a month. :(

i "recieved" Sennheiser EH2200s for christmas... i emailed them once called them twice all got the "they should ship today" answer... monday if they still aren't shipped i'm going to cancel the order and buy from another site
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-07, 10:09 PM #11
EH2200? I think those are like the 490s with a new look. Heard they sucked.
2005-01-08, 12:22 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
SR-325? Jebus!!

They aren't that expensive. I traded $300 and my SR-80's for my recabled SR-325's with wooden cups. You can probably get the SR-225 for pretty cheap off of eBay or similar sites.
2005-01-08, 3:20 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Mith
They retail for $90 but I got 'em lovingly used for $75 shipped. The guy had 'em for two weeks but never used 'em. Burned in for 100 hours when I got the cans.

That's still much less expensive than the local audio store here. They ask for 160€! And taking into account the currently feebler US currency, the exchange rate comes to around $200! Luckily my dad was on a business trip to NY a while ago and I managed to get him to find some which only cost me $88.

But yes, they're really good. They don't have much isolation though, so listening to errr... more eclectic music that isn't yet appreciated by the masses, on a train or bus doesn't really work :p But yes, otherwise, I've been going through albums I've listened to for dozens of hours each, and I'm hearing stuff I've never noticed before.

If you haven't already, plug them into your PC and play some H-L2 singleplayer for an absolutely amazing aural experience.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-01-08, 3:53 PM #14
Also, if you find the highs overwhelming or want a lot more bass, consider getting the flat pads. While I personally prefer the bowls, many like the flat pads in place of the bowls.

The openess is the best part of the headphone. Nothing like sharing your music with the world. :)
2005-01-08, 4:16 PM #15
Hah, on campus there's a guy who walks around with HD580s and a headphone amp in his messenger bag. You can hear it like 10 feet away, it rocks. I also see quite a few people around here with Grados.
2005-01-08, 4:28 PM #16
just picked up some new headphones myself, Sony MDR-V600

they are really nice, lotsa bass :D
2005-01-08, 5:28 PM #17
I'm still using the stock iPod earphones; anyone know some affordable earphones with better sound quality and a white cord?
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-01-08, 8:43 PM #18
Gotta be a hip trendwhore with white cords!
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2005-01-08, 8:58 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Simbachu
I'm still using the stock iPod earphones; anyone know some affordable earphones with better sound quality and a white cord?

quite a few sennheisers have removable cables... you can probably find a white replacement cable
2005-01-08, 9:05 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by R_ivi_N

<3
D E A T H
2005-01-08, 9:22 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Simbachu

One word.

Paint.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-09, 12:10 AM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder
If you haven't already, plug them into your PC and play some H-L2 singleplayer for an absolutely amazing aural experience.

My current rig can't power HL2 too well but I have been playing a lot of Morrowind!
2005-01-09, 4:48 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by R_ivi_N

But of course. Why have an iPod if I'm not going to be a trendwhore?
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-01-09, 2:05 PM #24
That better be the long version of Stairway you're listening to.
Time is but a window
Death is but a doorway
He'll be back
2005-01-09, 2:11 PM #25
Sennheiser has some good earbuds better than the iPod ones...Shure and Etymotic (or something, Google just Ety) have incredible canal phones (they go in deeper) that have great sound quality depending on how much you want to spend. Alternatively you could just get the Koss KSC-75 clip ons, which sound better than just about anything smaller, look cool and have a warm Grado sound to them. And are $20.
2005-01-09, 2:21 PM #26
How do SR80s compare to Sony Headphones that are ~$100-$200?
former entrepreneur
2005-01-09, 3:15 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Eversor

The people over at HeadFi can help you out a lot better than I can. Main reason I got my Grados was price.
2005-01-09, 3:16 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm
That better be the long version of Stairway you're listening to.

I got this for free so it is quite long thank you.
2005-01-09, 9:26 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Eversor

Which models specifically? The really high end ones like the CD3K, R10, and the Qualia ones are really nice. On the other hand, I am under the impression that the lower end models are not up to par. Also, their higher end phones require a pretty decent amp in order to get good sound quality. No one seems to recommend a lot of Sony phones (other than the high end), so I can't reallyu tell you much about their sound quality.

Your best bet is to find a place where you can try before you buy.
2005-01-09, 9:40 PM #30
Got a pair of Philips SBC HN050 sound canceling headphones for Christmas. I'm VERY happy with them. Great comfort, AMAZING sound quality. Probably the best bang for the buck sound canceling headphones to boot.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-09, 9:51 PM #31
I just ordered these bad boys, can't wait to get them.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2005-01-09, 9:58 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwind
Got a pair of Philips SBC HN050 sound canceling headphones for Christmas. I'm VERY happy with them. Great comfort, AMAZING sound quality. Probably the best bang for the buck sound canceling headphones to boot.

i had a pair of those for a week... way too quiet distorted like crazy
2005-01-09, 10:04 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by DrkJedi82
i had a pair of those for a week... way too quiet distorted like crazy

Wow. Defective, eh? This pair doesn't distort, and can get way too loud. I hate stuff that breaks the moment you take it out of the box - but that's another thread (oh, the experiences... I've had :p).
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-09, 10:09 PM #34
mine may have been defective... but even if they weren't and sounded great i would have returned them anyway because the headband dug into my head... the earcups were very comfortable but the headband caused pain

↑ Up to the top!