Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dark Angel
Dark Angel
2005-01-07, 11:01 PM #1
So, back when Dark Angel, the TV series, was playing, I caught a few episodes and I liked it. However, I'm not one to block out time during my day to make an appointment with the TV, so I missed a lot of episodes and generally didn't care.

However, I recently rented the series from Netflix, and the damn thing is great! Especially the second season, I really, really enjoyed it. Sure Jessica Alba is hot, and that makes the (few) crappy episodes in season 1 bearable. The story line is great, the premise is great, the acting is (for the most part) top-notch.

I enjoyed the series so much I went out and bought the two seasons today at Best Buy. They are having a sale so the first season was 20 bucks and the second is 40.

But here's the problem: There were only two seasons! Apparently they were all told they were going to get to make at least a third season, but then later Fox changed their minds and cancelled the show.

So there are a few story arcs that aren't resolved, although the season 2 finale had an upbeat ending.

Anyone else see this show? Enjoy it? Not?
2005-01-07, 11:06 PM #2
They wrote 2 books which supposedly "wrapped up" the series. A girl I know is a huge fan of the show and told me all about it.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-07, 11:08 PM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by THRAWN
They wrote 2 books which supposedly "wrapped up" the series. A girl I know is a huge fan of the show and told me all about it.
Cool, I'll go to amazon and see what they say.
2005-01-07, 11:40 PM #4
I liked it and was pretty annoyed when they cancelled it.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-08, 12:08 AM #5
Fox is known for making some very poor showing and cancelling decisions (Firefly, Dark Angel, Family Guy). Need I say more?
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-08, 1:09 AM #6
Dark Angel was actually cancelled to make room for Firefly, which was cancelled (after a mammoth 12 episode run) to make room for a remake of Dark Shadows that never eventuated... Man, Fox is just the best...

I thought Dark Angel was OK; I think the first season was better, before it turned all "Monster of the Week" and "look what wacky mutations there are today!". I didn't like the dog-man character, and I think the series would have worked better had it focussed more on the reality of America as a third-world nation, and Max fighting crime or whatever, than with fantastic elements such as vampires and thousands or year old blood-lines.
2005-01-08, 1:35 AM #7
It started off promising but didn't keep my interests.
2005-01-08, 2:26 AM #8
I liked the show, though I must admit Matthew is right. I think they should have stopped their "freak development" somewhere around the cyborgs. Those were cool baddies, also because there aren't many shown in quality series or even films.

One fact that greatly supported this series is the attitude. It wasn't from the typical "let's save the world" fanboy stock.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-08, 7:18 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Ric_Olie
Fox is known for making some very poor showing and cancelling decisions (Firefly, Dark Angel, Family Guy). Need I say more?

Futurama. :-(
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-09, 11:00 PM #10
I actually liked the second season a lot better. The characters were more interesting and they were actually moving towards a goal - not just "survive and keep myself a secret" as in the first season.
2005-01-09, 11:13 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
Futurama. :-(

x10
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-09, 11:49 PM #12
firefly : (
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-01-10, 4:12 AM #13
In this world, it's really annoying and cruel to like certain kinds of fictional series, like Firefly, for example. If you liked (only) the never-ending, ever replenishing reality TV shows or sitcoms, everything would be good and fine... But have a taste different than that, and you are in for a lifelong experience of TV disappointments.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-10, 6:49 AM #14
I like the show. I think the first season was better as a whole while the second season probably had some of the best individual episodes. As Matt said, I wasn't too fond of the "monster of the week" direction much of the second season took and I was disappointed with the finale.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-10, 8:06 AM #15
I wanted to go postal on fox when they cancelled it.
2005-01-10, 9:07 AM #16
Like Brian, I've never been able to maintain a schedule of watching any show. Even ones I really liked. I watched the first episode of this show and liked it, but then never watched another episode ever again.

Shows I really liked, like Farscape I would sporadically watch for a few weeks or months and then just stop watching all together.

I was never good at 'being there at 9 to watch something' even when I was a kid, and now that I'm older and have less free time I always just go "screw it, its just a TV show." The only shows I watch every week are Lost and Desperate Housewives...and thats because my fiance watches them every week and insists I join her. If it were up to me, we'd have lost continuity a long time ago out of apathy.

Couple that with the fact I'm to cheap to pay for entire series and I don't watch much TV period.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-10, 12:42 PM #17
I'm pretty much with matthew and that shool of thought. I pretty much only watched the first season and stopped when the second season just kind of started to get on my nerves.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.

↑ Up to the top!