Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Test This Site
Test This Site
2005-01-08, 12:37 PM #1
I'm absolutelly horrible with HTML, and I've been working for a friend of the family on his website for some time now. I use frontpage instead of e-mail. This isn't a thread about frontpage VS HTML, so don't even start on me with that. I plan to one day use HTML, but I don't have the time or effort at this moment.

What I DO want from you people, is opinions on the layout, and beta-testing. There's lots of little things on the site, and if one of them is off, well, it's difficult for me to see it. So if you'd go through and take a long browse of the site, and give me any style suggestions, I'd appreciate it:

Optimized for 600x800 browsing on Explorer:
AthenaCare Lawn Services

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-08, 12:46 PM #2
Did you mean aside from the extra spaces at the top of some pages?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-08, 12:51 PM #3
make the top logo a jpeg, the grid patterny effect/ noise looks less professional. On the plumbing page there is a gap at the top. Maybe the quotes should be a bit smallerin text size. You can click on the text saying "FAQ" in the faq, though it doesn't do anything, a broken link. The contacts page should probably have a few new lines added in just to make some more white space, it looks cramped and unbalanced. Thats all I saw.

overall, a good website design. simple but effective
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-08, 12:59 PM #4
Wow I know you already mentioned it but this site looks awful at higher res. But overall I didn't find any bugs in it.
2005-01-08, 1:03 PM #5
It looks pretty nice, but as oxy say, make the top image a jpeg.
2005-01-08, 1:03 PM #6
Compared to many corporate websites, that site is fantastic.

Seriously, I can't stand websites where I have to spend more than five seconds trying to find the information I'm trying to get. Flash is worst offender.
Your site is great, clearly labelled headings, nicely bullet-pointed information. If I was in the slightest interested in plumbing services, I'd be all over this site.
Having said that, it might not hurt to throw in the odd picture on some of the pages.

Also, there's some odd gap at the top of plumbing.html and the quotes on the About Us page are a bit too big. And no-one ever writes 'FaQ'. And you might want to change the colour of the font on the navigation bar, something brighter perhaps.

All in all, excellent page. More sites on the internet should be like this.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-08, 1:05 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
Wow I know you already mentioned it but this site looks awful at higher res. But overall I didn't find any bugs in it.

Other than extra space the site doesn't look bad at all. 1280x1024 no problems.
D E A T H
2005-01-08, 1:10 PM #8
1024x768 no problems... It's a good size, it just fits 800x600 and doesn't present obvious size issues in higher res. Only the perfectionist would demand the site fits exactly to their screen size.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-08, 1:14 PM #9
Well, I fixed the scrolling issues, and the gap issues. The contacts page is a WIP, as we're scanning some sheets for contact, etc. The Quotes are as big as they are because the boss wanted them like that. I also tend to like the quality feel to that size font. It's not consistant, because it's meant to stand out.

I try to keep a very simple basic layout to all my sites, and then work from there. I'd personally like to have more control over some of the content (but that's not my bit) and some of the ways the site exicutes it's intentions, but my boss is set in his ways.

What I do need help with, is some ideas or suggestions on places I can go to learn how to write a calculator. We want to be able to calculate the cost of lawncare for someone's lawn based on some bullets and drop down menus. We can use PHP, Java, anything really. Not flash, though. I hate flash, and refuse to use it.

Oh, and yeah, my boss wants it to look best on lower end machines, as that's his "Target market"

Thanks for all the posative feedback!

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-08, 1:29 PM #10
Changed to a JPG header picture. In the process of switching all of the pictures out and replacing with JPG. I hadn't originally done the graphics, so I never really paid any mind to their file extensions.

I'll be making a plumbing faq soon, and I'm trying to decide exactly where to put it. I don't want to add it to the FAQ page, because that's about lawn. I don't want to add it to the plumbing page, because it's a faq and should be easily accessable. I don't want to put it on the navigation bar, because I only have leway for one more link, and that's going to be for the calculators. Any more and I'll have to resize the whole site.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-08, 1:48 PM #11
Why dont you just make the lawn faq into a page, and then when they click on the link they are given the option of either faq?
2005-01-08, 1:54 PM #12
Er, why would you JPEG those simple graphics? Leave them as GIF, they're lossless and smaller if you do it right.

And yes, it looks great in 1280x1024. You should shoot for 1024x768 and higher, that's the standard resolution these days.
2005-01-08, 5:08 PM #13
The site looks good, clean and simple like a site should be. My only suggestions are editing suggestions. On the Contact page you're missing a ( on the phone number, and on the FAQ page, when you are talking about the guarantee, I suggest taking that question mark out. The sentence isn't formatted as a question and I've always thought that the combination of a ? and ! looks unprofessional, although I use it often when talking online or something.

Also, I suggest an email address on your Contact page too for those that would prefer email. You said you have something to scan for that page so you may have that already, but I thought it worth mentioning.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-01-08, 5:14 PM #14
Looks solid and to the point to me.
2005-01-08, 5:21 PM #15
I agree with Martyn. Only suggestion is to change the font; Times New Roman is dull and boring.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-01-08, 5:25 PM #16
USE COMIC SANS AND I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND DIG YOUR HEART OUT WITH A SPOON.
2005-01-09, 12:31 AM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
and on the FAQ page, when you are talking about the guarantee, I suggest taking that question mark out. The sentence isn't formatted as a question and I've always thought that the combination of a ? and ! looks unprofessional, although I use it often when talking online or something.

Like I said, all those issues are with my boss. I would have written the whole site completelly differently, but again, he's set in his ways.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-09, 1:02 AM #18
<font face="Verdana" size="2">

Otherwise, for what your promoting. It's perfect. Small buisnesses and what not. Don't want big graphics and lots of crap.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-01-09, 2:50 AM #19
On this page:
http://www.athenacare.com/contact.html

You missed a ( at the start of the telephone number:
952) 920-2564
should be
(952) 920-2564

I think.

Other than that, nice webpage. I do like it quite a bit.
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2005-01-09, 8:22 AM #20
simple and solid
clean up the first affiliates logo it looks like ****
believe it or not thats still your job even though its not your logo.

btw this should be in showcase
"...Those living for death will die by their own hand, Life's no ordeal if you come to terms, Reject the system dictating the norms..."
2005-01-09, 8:48 AM #21
nice, but theres a lot of white space around the edges at higher resolutions.
2005-01-09, 8:51 AM #22
contact and home seem to be in a different position on the page. just by a few pixels.
2005-01-09, 8:54 AM #23
That's your scroll bar Dave.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-09, 8:57 AM #24
ha!! oh man. thanks. i just woke up. just sipping my coffee. :p
2005-01-09, 9:04 AM #25
Don't worry about it, I actually redid those 2 pages 3 times trying to figure out why they were pushed over, and sure enough, I finally realized that they had no scroll to them. This comming from the guy who made the pages :gbk:

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-09, 9:48 AM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
On the Contact page you're missing a ( on the phone number...

Dang you, Crimson. You beat me to it... :p

Top end JPEG is needed, but that's about it.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-09, 12:35 PM #27
Bumpt
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-09, 12:40 PM #28
Looks great to me. Good job, man. :)

↑ Up to the top!