Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK CO-OP level
JK CO-OP level
2005-01-08, 2:47 PM #1
I would think that Synced AI would be the key to this... But has anyone ever MADE a JK CO-OP level?
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-01-08, 2:52 PM #2
I've played a few JK CO-OP levels. But I'm not sure how it's done.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-08, 3:04 PM #3
Synced AI for one...you just script events like singleplayer, albiet you have to keep in mind there could be a lot of people in the game. One feature I've yet to see in a co-op level is progressive respawns, you usually spawn at the beginning of the level. It's easily fixed with a COG that teleports or moves the walkplayers to another location. You could do this with a switch that one of the players hits or an adjoin that is crossed to indicate a checkpoint.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-08, 3:18 PM #4
I've only ever seen one and it was Theift on NarShadda... it didn't really turn out too great... if you didn't stick together the enemies would just pick you off.
2005-01-08, 4:44 PM #5
There are some great co-op levels!

Time Travel Nar Shaddaa
Chaos Eternal
Rancor Swamp
and a few more I cant remember.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-08, 4:49 PM #6
I didn't know JK did co-op....
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-08, 4:52 PM #7
Like MechWarrior, Theft on Nar Shadaa has been the only Co-op level I've played. It was good, but could have been better. The damage was altered so that in four E-11 shots, you die. Not too good. Talk to Nebula, he's the one who made it.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-08, 5:49 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Oxyonagon
I didn't know JK did co-op....

It doesn't really, you have to write a new ai system through cog to do it.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-08, 6:40 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
Synced AI for one...you just script events like singleplayer, albiet you have to keep in mind there could be a lot of people in the game. One feature I've yet to see in a co-op level is progressive respawns, you usually spawn at the beginning of the level. It's easily fixed with a COG that teleports or moves the walkplayers to another location. You could do this with a switch that one of the players hits or an adjoin that is crossed to indicate a checkpoint.

I think this could be done in the cog of the objective if you complet the objective, it deletes the previous walkplayers, and creates new ones at maybe determined ghost positions set up throughout the level, creating a progressive spawn point effect?
2005-01-08, 7:24 PM #10
You're thinking WAY too hard. There is a way to disable spawn points using the respawn flags.
When the player reaches a certain point in the game, you disable all spawn points except that one, forcing the player to respawn where you want him to.

Basically, if you have 16 walkplayers in a map. The respawn flags 0x7FFF would disable spawnpoints 1-15 in order of thing number (walkplayer with lowest thing number would be 0x1, the walkplayer with the highest number, in this case the 16th, would be 0x8000)

I hope you could understand all that. If not, check the Datamaster on respawn masks :p
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2005-01-09, 4:17 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral
I would think that Synced AI would be the key to this... But has anyone ever MADE a JK CO-OP level?

Yeah right now I'm starting to make one....
Using the Ai-cog......
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-09, 5:16 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by SG-fan
You're thinking WAY too hard. There is a way to disable spawn points using the respawn flags.
When the player reaches a certain point in the game, you disable all spawn points except that one, forcing the player to respawn where you want him to.

Basically, if you have 16 walkplayers in a map. The respawn flags 0x7FFF would disable spawnpoints 1-15 in order of thing number (walkplayer with lowest thing number would be 0x1, the walkplayer with the highest number, in this case the 16th, would be 0x8000)

I hope you could understand all that. If not, check the Datamaster on respawn masks :p

Yeah the way to do it would be to use the respawn disable flags like in CTF levels. A less elegant solution would be to just teleport to the current spot on respawn. Deleting walkplayers is just asking for trouble since the player is actually one of those walkplayers I think. That is, the player takes over control of one of those special things. Deleting it would destroy the player....and we all know what happens when you do that.

Or at least, thats how I've come to understand it.
-El Scorcho

2005-01-09, 3:18 PM #13
I used to be able to beat Nar Shaddaa singleplayer. It's possible - you only really have to worry about the first couple of enemies, and then you get to the armory. From then on out it's all about creative thermal detonator use (TDs were also bumped up to book and movie power levels).

But then again, I beta tested that level throughout its development.

Nebula was also working on a Thief-based coop level, and coop versions of a couple of his other Boba Fett-inspired levels. It's not easy to make them because they get so laggy so fast.

Edit: There was also a shortcut right to the very end, if you knew where to jump.
2005-01-09, 3:42 PM #14
I found it relitivelly easy. JK's AI isn't all that quick to judge the situation. If you keep moving, they tend to miss.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-10, 6:04 AM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon`C
I used to be able to beat Nar Shaddaa singleplayer. It's possible - you only really have to worry about the first couple of enemies, and then you get to the armory. From then on out it's all about creative thermal detonator use (TDs were also bumped up to book and movie power levels).

I beat it on my own as well, although it took a few tries. Although nightmares ai cogs are brain dead stupid they pretty much never miss and their shots do a lot of damage. The first few enemies are the tough part, yes...but all you have to do is shove greedo out in front of you and let him handle them. He's invincible.

I did the same thing with the thermal dets. And then I relied on bobafett getting stuck behind something to beat him.

It was a fun level, but I really could have done with out that stupid jumping puzzle at the beginning there.

I've got an early version of my own synced ai working thats a lot smarter than both JK default and the nightmares cog based ones. Although it requires MotS for it pit and collision avoidance routines. I'm still fleshing it out, adding an A* pathfinding system (or trying at least) and working out some of its bugs. I still haven't decided what kind of project to use it on. I was going to do a co-op midevil hack and slash but I suck at keys and 3dos so I thought I might do something simplier.
-El Scorcho

↑ Up to the top!