Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → usenet history... first mention of irc...
usenet history... first mention of irc...
2005-01-10, 7:39 AM #1
so google has this cache of major events in usenet... one of them is the first mention of irc ;)
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sources.d/msg/2576f73a03a8ba3f
note that he got it from a finnish ftp, hehe... maybe straight from the programmer, heh

here's the rest of the archive:
http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

very interesting stuff to read. these guys knew how to type english correctly, they were polite and they knew their systems. (and they didn't mind waiting a few hours for a reply LOL)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2005-01-10, 7:57 AM #2
Well, IRC was invented by a finn.

Interesting stuff, however.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-10, 9:18 AM #3
Fascinating stuff.
2005-01-10, 3:26 PM #4
IRC has a definitely interesting history. Read Underground, the book, to get a neat history of the hacking scene in the 80s and early 90s. It's really a very interesting read. Free online too (google is your friend, by the way ;))
D E A T H
2005-01-10, 5:46 PM #5
Underground, eh? I s'pose it's pdf somewhere? ;)
And yes, google pwns you...
though i like A9... a good front-end for google searches. i like the history function and the way it can display image and text searches at the same time.
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2005-01-10, 6:53 PM #6
Yeah, the best part is, the book is legal. I literally read it from cover to cover (text style ;)), because it's just engrossing and awesome. It takes place mostly in Australia.
D E A T H
2005-01-10, 6:57 PM #7
First review of the IBM-PC (1981)

"The thing is totally modular; even the I/O cards are separate!
For $ 1,565 you get a keyboard and logic unit with 16K RAM and
a Basic interpreter in 40K ROM. A cassette interface is built
in, I think; but no diskette or monitor at this price -- you
use your TV set. Of course you can add one or two minidiskettes,
lots more memory (16-64k increments), a B&W monitor (no color
monitor was mentioned), RS-232C interface card, matrix printer,
a joystick/paddle interface (but you have to buy somebody else's
joysticks and paddles); and maybe the kitchen sink. A "business
configuration" with 64K, dual diskettes, printer, and "color
graphics" goes for about $ 4,500."

Neat! I wish I had a computer like that. :(
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-10, 7:04 PM #8
I had an IBM XT, and 8088. 7 MHz, 640 KB of RAM, 5.25" floppy, 30 MB hard drive, 1200 baud model, CGA graphics. You know you want it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!