Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What is the Status of JK and MotS Editing?
What is the Status of JK and MotS Editing?
2005-01-11, 9:25 AM #1
The questions:
- Are you playing JK or MotS?
- Are you currently editing JK or MotS?
- Why are/aren't you editing JK or MotS?

Okay, for those of you who do not know me, I *started* editing JK (and subsequently) registered here in Dec 2003. I almost never post anywhere except in the Main Editing and Cog forums because I am too busy editing (or working on JK-related projects) to bother with discussions. :p

My answers to the questions:
- Yes, I am playing JK and MotS.
- Yes, I am editing JK. I haven't edited MotS directly, yet.
- I am editing JK because it is easy and fun. JK seems to have the right balance of cool stuff without being overly complicated. I don't have to worry about others having the latest hardware to run (most) new mods, and I don't have to keep upgrading my own hardware in order to keep up with the latest-and-greatest game. I can take my time making something worthwhile (such as a new game type), rather than trying to keep up with others' limited fascination with a new game. I figure I can keep editing and playing JK just as others keep playing the ancient game of chess. ;)

A happy cogger,
:)
2005-01-11, 9:28 AM #2
Are you playing JK or MotS? Yes, from time to time. They're good games after all. Though almost 7 years of constant playing bored me for some time...
Are you currently editing JK or MotS? No.
Why are/aren't you editing JK or MotS? I realized the engine is such a pain in the arse, and for a lazy person like me the Unreal based engines are much better... besides, the brush system in Unreal engine is way more useful than sectors or Q3 brushes... which is why I'm editing Deus Ex at the moment.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-11, 9:38 AM #3
Are you playing JK or MotS?.
Yes. :)
Are you currently editing JK or MotS?
Yes :)
Why are/aren't you editing JK or MotS?
Its more fun to edit JK than to edit other games :p
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-11, 9:45 AM #4
Are you playing JK or MotS?
>Occasionally.

>Occasionally, mostly no.

>JK no longer gives me the power to create the environments and atmospheres I seek to create, which detracts from gameplay. Sige's lighter plugin for JED makes it easier to create good lighting, but it's still a far cry from what you could do in a Q3 based game like JO or JA (and I don't even edit those anymore). Thanks to Q3Map2, Q3 games are capable of incredibly detailed lighting with very accurate radiosity (light bouncing, bright objects will light up the surrounding surfaces with their light). It's all still static but it's so much more convincing.

Lighting is the big thing for me when I'm editing, it's the one thing that influences realism more than anything else. Realism is important for atmosphere which is an important aspect of gameplay if used properly.

Basically it's a graphical reason. That and the fact that hardly anyone plays it anymore. People (on JK.net) have accused me of editing only to be "famous". A load of crap. Just because I want some people to be able to experience what I've created doesn't mean I want to be "famous within an internet gaming community". It's no different than creating an incredible work of art and putting it in a closet for no one to see.

I reinstalled JK and JED to mess around with Sige's plugins and patches, I may consider making a little something. Especially if Sige's idea for a memory-reading wrapper thing for a new rendering engine work out.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-11, 9:54 AM #5
I play, sometimes my own levels when testing, the original ones when when testing MODs, and if there are any new ones posted here, I'll test them, and sometimes old ones just to test MODs.

I edit CONSTANTLY!

Easy, fun, lots of challanges, and gets my mind working and rotting at the same time.

/Edward
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2005-01-11, 10:03 AM #6
Quote:

Yes. I just played 2v2 CTF last night with clanmates. I try to play at least 2-3 games a week, and those games usually last for at least an hour. I'd like to play MotS more, but no one really seems to play it anymore.
Quote:

Yes. I've been working on a CTF map for the past year or so, but school and work get in the way of me completing it. I find this discouraging, and lately I've been focusing more on 3DO's (they take far less time). I'd edit for MotS if there was a community still.

While I agree with Emon about lighting, for me, I'm unable to edit a game that I don't enjoy playing, and quite frankly, I enjoy playing JK/MotS more than any other FPS. It may not be state-of-the-art, but the gameplay is great.
2005-01-11, 10:11 AM #7
I do periodically play around in it for memory's sake and to test my own levels, but rarely for any alternative reasons.

Yes.

Why are you editing JK or MotS?
I'm doing it for instant artistic and gameplay gratification until I can make a better engine and game. Additionally, I feel it's my duty to contribute at least something before completely abandoning it, considering how long ago I started editing.
2005-01-11, 10:26 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeqMacaw

-kinda

Quote:

-yes

Quote:

Cos I wanna release my stargate TC before I loose my interest in it, or get even more bored of it already
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-01-11, 10:33 AM #9
nope

planing on starting again very soon

- Why are you editing JK or MotS?

JK is By far the funnist game to map for
2005-01-11, 11:12 AM #10
Occaisionally.

Occaisionally.

I like to edit it because its the most intuitive game to map for that I've seen.
2005-01-11, 12:46 PM #11
I do alot play testing. Thats like playing. :D I only load up JK to check out other editors work, I have worked exclusively in MotS for a couple years now.

Yes, MotS.

While the Sith engine is graphically subpar, the cog scripting language never ceases to amaze me with its ease of use and power. Some people say certain things are impossible to do through cog, I say they gave up to easy. I really edit for myself mostly, I enjoy making things and solving problems. And since I have an excellent overall knowledge of how the engine functions, its just an old dog new tricks syndrome...learning to edit a game is hard and its annoying being a crippled n00b with grand ideas and no way to realize them. I'm happy to put along on my little projects that few will see or appreciate in a game that I fully understand. I'm eternally grateful that this community still exists and is actively moving forward, in spite of the fact that its numbers have deminished and its passed its prime. In some ways, thats a good thing...as there are far more masters than n00bs left at this point.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-11, 1:35 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by El Scorcho
I'm eternally grateful that this community still exists and is actively moving forward, in spite of the fact that its numbers have deminished and its passed its prime. In some ways, thats a good thing...as there are far more masters than n00bs left at this point.

Amen, brother. :)

Now, for my status regarding JK:

Yeah, just like El Scorcho, I mostly play JK when testing my levels. However I do have fun with my friends at LAN parties at my house on a semi-annual basis.

You bet your consistency Checker I am! ;)

I plan to continue editing JK for the forseeable future, for pretty much the same reasons as everyone. Plus I'm a creature of habit. Since it took me about 1.5 - 2 years to get pretty decent at JK editing, I'm not about to give it up and go waste another couple years on a new game which I probably won't enjoy nearly so much. Plus Massassi is just such a fun and great overall community! :D
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-01-11, 1:39 PM #13
1. depends if something good and new comes out, or a bunch of massassians decide to play a big game.

2. I have never released anything, but I edit it from time to time.

3. I dunno. I just find it easier than other games.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-11, 2:20 PM #14
Quote:

Answer: yes, i play JK and MotS still....
Quote:

Answer: yes, i got a few JK projects going
Quote:

Answer: i dunno.... :rolleyes:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2005-01-11, 3:29 PM #15
The questions:

1.) Are you playing JK or MotS?
2.) Are you currently editing JK or MotS?
3.) Why are/aren't you editing JK or MotS?

... to which I shall share with you my answers:

1.) "Playing" both - sadly more in the context of testing that real "playing-for-pleasure" at the moment - I don't intend to keep it this way ;)

2.) I am currently editing both JK and MotS (see answer 3). Predominantly MotS - I mean if Grismath is editing for MotS, then who the heck isn't going to have it for downloading and playing LoG, right?!? ;) :D

3.) I'm still editing JK + MotS because I enjoy what I do: primarily cogging, but it just so happens to be the "AI" aspect at the moment (busy writing an AI Builder application compatible with both games :)). I wouldn't do this if I:
(a) wasn't going to use it myself
(b) didn't enjoy editing the game
(c) didn't think that the editors would benefit from having the tool made available to them.

Therefore, my reasons for (still) editing JK + MotS are that because there's still a comparatively large (lest we forget this is an exceptionally "mature" game now ;)) fanbase and editing community, why the heck not! There's plenty of info out there to be studied and shared and everyone benefits. That and I second the "old-dog-new-tricks" sentiment ;)

... also, I finally want something to show for the length of time I've spent editing :rolleyes:. I mean helping out in the cog forum is one thing, but it's when you see the fantastic add-on levels that people use to show your cogs in... well then you begin to realise that you really should have a bit more to show for having been here for more than 4 years. Admittedly the first 2 years were spent lurking (and well before that) but I'm trying to make up for lost time :D

Here's hoping I haven't missed the boat... :o

-Jackpot

[pre-post edit (preview): I see the limit of smileys has been upped to 10 (from 8). Whilst this increase is much appreciated, I am still left wanting more... ;)]
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2005-01-11, 3:54 PM #16
yes
yes
reason
2005-01-11, 6:03 PM #17
Only to test stuff, no work and all play makes cogging hard. :p

Heck yea.

Because JK is rather easy to mod, unlike Q3 based type games with VMMs and DLLs and compiled files and stuff.
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-11, 7:07 PM #18
• I play
• I do not edit (much)
• I don't edit JK (much) because I have no ideas for levels/mods, and it'd take a while to get used to editing using cogs and templates and all that.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-01-11, 7:30 PM #19
Are you playing JK or MotS? -Jk, for reference for a JA level.
Are you currently editing JK or MotS? -no.
Why are/aren't you editing JK or MotS? -beause JA is much more fun, and brush editing is far superior to sector[/pissing off half of massassi]
2005-01-11, 7:52 PM #20
No
No
WoW
2005-01-11, 8:28 PM #21
Yes.

Yes. Very much so (level details will be posted soon, as I am lazy).

N/A
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-12, 12:48 AM #22
Are you playing JK or MotS? I am not.
Are you currently editing JK or MotS? Nope.
Why are/aren't you editing JK or MotS? It's nothing against Jedi Knight itself, but I'm just not that big into playing games anymore, especially computer games. And since I'm not playing them, I really have no desire to edit them. That was pretty much why I edited in the first place, just to play my own mods...heck, I only released about half of my finished ones. Anyway...yeah. I just don't care about it anymore.
2005-01-12, 1:16 AM #23

No. I stopped playing the game about two years before I stopped editing. Don't get me wrong, it was a great game for it's time, but after about 7 years, it gets really old. Not to mention there aren't that many players around, and having to go through so much organisation everytime you want to play is a big turnoff.

No, I've stopped editing JK. People just don't download maps anymore. Editing is fun, but knowing no one will play your maps isn't very motivating. I think I've achieved everything I'd ever wanted to achieve with Tourniquet. Now after about 20 released maps, I think I've had enough.

Then I've tried my hand at UT2k4, but I never really cought on to it. It's far too easy to just press a button and have something amazing. There's little satisfaction from creating something good, and the community can't really be impressed by anything because of this.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-12, 4:48 AM #24
-Only what I'm working on, and other new levels that come out
-yes
-n/a
2005-01-12, 6:18 AM #25
- No.
- No.
- Because I'm lazy, I've got no inspiration to do anything and I'm lazy.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-12, 3:27 PM #26

Nope, I stopped playing both games.

Nope, I gave that up as well a long time ago.

I'm no longer playing/editing both games because of the age and limitations of the sith engine. It isn't fun to work with anymore. I've moved on to more new and better engines. I also don't have the time anymore to do any kind of game editing because of school.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!