Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → iPod Shuffle
iPod Shuffle
2005-01-11, 3:47 PM #1
Anyone else thinking about picking this up?
For a mere 100 bucks I was thinking it would be nice for any time I go out. I could just put a couple bands I like on it at a time and go snowboarding with it, or whatever.
2005-01-11, 3:48 PM #2
Yes I am, this is a great alternative to a "normal" iPod.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-01-11, 3:48 PM #3
Wait...what?
D E A T H
2005-01-11, 3:52 PM #4
iPod Shuffle
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-11, 4:05 PM #5
I don't see what makes this better than other flash MP3 players. What's the deal?
2005-01-11, 4:06 PM #6
It comes with trend-whore headphones, the others do not.
2005-01-11, 4:11 PM #7
$0.19 per meg – iPod shuffle (512mb)

$0.15 per meg – iPod shuffle (1GB)

$0.0625 per meg – iPod Mini (4GB)

$0.015 per meg – iPod (20GB)

$0.01 per meg – iPod (40GB)

$0.0125 per meg – iPod Photo (40GB)

$0.01 per meg – iPod Photo (60GB)

Even if you paid $10,000 for a 40GB iPod, your still only paying $0.25 a meg 0_o
2005-01-11, 4:32 PM #8
Sorry, this isn't really meant as a flame, but what is your point? (It's still cool facts, thanks for posting lol.. but you seemed to be trying to say the other stuff is better)

Anyone knows more of something costs cheaper per unit.

It's cheaper, and can provide me with what I want for however long I plan to use it. For my preferences, the other stuff is overkill :p
2005-01-11, 4:33 PM #9
IT'S COOL TO HATE THINGS THAT ARE COOL.
2005-01-11, 4:36 PM #10
But...I have no wish to look like this woman:

[http://images.apple.com/ipodshuffle/images/indexneckd20050111.jpg]

Besides...

/me hugs iPod Mini.

My preciousssss...[/size]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-11, 4:36 PM #11
Have you guys overlooked one essential design flaw? IT'S STUCK ON RANDOM MODE. You couldn't even select a song if you wanted to! Isn't that the point of hauling that many songs around, to be able to listen to whichever one you want if the need takes you?
2005-01-11, 4:39 PM #12
Page with info on price etc isn't loading.

There's been rumors about this thing forever now.

Also, Apple's making a cell phone with Motorola.
D E A T H
2005-01-11, 4:43 PM #13
It can shuffle... yay. Thats a new idea :rolleyes:
2005-01-11, 4:48 PM #14
http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/specs.html

^ You can have songs play in order. You aren't stuck on shuffle.

Besides. My MP3 player that I bought last year cost me $100. It only holds 128mb!!! It's now $75. My friend just got a 256mb (or 512mb) mp3 player for christmas. It cost his dad $200! For $150 you can get a 1GB mp3 player. That's awesome.
2005-01-11, 4:49 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
You can have songs play in order. You aren't stuck on shuffle.

Except you still have no way of knowing where you are in your playlist.
2005-01-11, 4:53 PM #16
Well if you put your songs in order then there shouldn't be a problem.

If I have my music from A-Z by artist (which you can do) and lets say I am listening to 'System of a Down' and I suddenly feel like Rammstein...Easy, I just click ahead past 'S' until I arrive at 'R'. Bam.

Besides, if you enjoy all your music, then just listen to it as it plays. Or arrange your favorite songs on the front of your playlist whatever.

It seems everyone likes to rip apart iPods because they are good products and they are trendy.
2005-01-11, 4:55 PM #17
Quote:
It seems everyone likes to rip apart iPods because they are good products and they are trendy.

They're nice products, but there's better than the iPod shuffle available.
2005-01-11, 4:58 PM #18
There proably is, but from the mp3 players that I myself have seen I'm not sure :p. Actually, I was thinking about buying one of these mofo's, but if anyone can find a 512mb mp3 player for under $100 or a 1GB for under $150 that would rawk.
2005-01-11, 5:03 PM #19
Here you go: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=86159&CatId=1695

$180 US for 1.5gb, and it's a nicer player, with a screen and an EQ.
2005-01-11, 5:14 PM #20
Wait... does this mean that regular iPods don't have a shuffle feature?
2005-01-11, 5:16 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
Here you go: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=86159&CatId=1695

$180 US for 1.5gb, and it's a nicer player, with a screen and an EQ.

It looks to me like that thing is $220... That's just 30 dollars shy of a mini with less than half the hard drive capacity.
former entrepreneur
2005-01-11, 5:20 PM #22
220 CA, though.

I dunno, I like to rip apart iPods because they're usually too expensive. I may get one of these when I get the cash, but I doubt it. PSP has 10 hours of MP3 playback time, so hey ;)
D E A T H
2005-01-11, 5:32 PM #23
512mb is nothing! Save up and get a larger player, for your own sanity ;)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-11, 5:55 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy

/me hugs iPod Mini.

My preciousssss...[/size]

yessss
2005-01-11, 6:30 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
220 CA, though.

Foiled! Damn my eyes!
former entrepreneur
2005-01-11, 6:32 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Wuss
Wait... does this mean that regular iPods don't have a shuffle feature?

They do. And an EQ. And games :roll: :-p. iPod mini si thar way 2 go kays? It's small enough, convenient... has plenty of storage space.
2005-01-11, 6:41 PM #27
No LCD = lose.
2005-01-11, 8:16 PM #28
The iPod Shuffle is not directed towards the standard iPod market. It is appealing to a different part of the population. The name of the game here is price and size. Unlike the iPods, this is competitively priced when compared to other flash drive players. Adding a display would increase the cost and the size. Increasing the space would add to the cost. If you need more space and a display, get an iPod mini or the entry level iPod. This is expressly designed to be easy to manage and have a small form factor. This isn't designed to be an iPod competitor, people.

Oh right... yeah, I'm really tempted to pick one of these up. My 2G iPod is a bit bulky for carrying around campus every day. Loading up a couple albums at night would work perfectly for me.

Edit: Oh, and for the shuffle thing. Part of it is in the iTunes functionality. There is the 'autofill' feature which will fill your Shuffle with a specified number of megabytes of random songs from your iTunes library. You want 250 songs without spending time picking them out? Here's one button to do it all for you.
2005-01-11, 8:59 PM #29
The size is perfect (I'm not the kind of person with the need for thousands of songs). I really don't like some of the design features, though.

I originally thought this thread was about odd song juxtapositions while using the shuffle feature. It's bizzare - My friend's MP3 player only plays Queen songs (no lie) when put on shuffle. I wonder about that thing...
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-11, 9:05 PM #30
Quote:
For $150 you can get a 1GB mp3 player. That's awesome.

...and for $70, you can get 4 times the storage in an iPod Mini, with the ability to see what you're doing and 4 craptacular games.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-11, 9:06 PM #31
The quiz game is super fun on someone else's iPod and I will NOT stand for you saying anything bad about solitare... it's gotten me through some hard times :(
2005-01-11, 9:06 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by fourwood
Edit: Oh, and for the shuffle thing. Part of it is in the iTunes functionality. There is the 'autofill' feature which will fill your Shuffle with a specified number of megabytes of random songs from your iTunes library. You want 250 songs without spending time picking them out? Here's one button to do it all for you.

I assume you refer to the "Party Shuffle" feature. I've never really used it. I prefer to compile my playlists manually and then shuffling them. But hey, it's still a neat feature.

While I find the new iPod quite cool, it isn't what I'd buy. I'm still shooting for an iPod Mini or a 20gig iPod. I can definately see how the Shuffle would be nice to have though.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-11, 9:46 PM #33
I still don't understand why you'd buy a mp3 player in the megabyte size range. I know people don't have gigs and gigs of music, but you can store so many other things on them, and if you pay only 100 dollars more you get... 10? 20 times the storage capactiy that you're paying $150 for already?

No comprende.

I still like my PoGo Ripdrive. 30 gigs, an FM Reciever and recorder, line in recorder, microphone, text-file reading, playlist creation using the mp3 only, and more- all for $250. The size of a 4 gig iPod mini? or a 10 gig normal iPod?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-01-11, 11:08 PM #34
I guess it is somewhat safer to e.g. go snowboarding with a flashplayer than with a hard drive based one, with all the mechanical parts in it

If it really is that cheap, I would certainly get one
2005-01-11, 11:15 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
I assume you refer to the "Party Shuffle" feature. I've never really used it. I prefer to compile my playlists manually and then shuffling them. But hey, it's still a neat feature.

It's actually a bit different (and new, as far as I can tell). It just picks songs randomly out of your library and adds them directly to the device.

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
I can definately see how the Shuffle would be nice to have though.

Exactly. Perfect for some, definitely not for all. Like a 40GB iPod. Or a Photo iPod.

Quote:
Originally posted by happydud
No comprende.

See the above. Perfect for certain people or certain situations. Just not for you.
2005-01-12, 12:28 AM #36
No screen.

Having used radios with no way to tell where you are, and having used broken cd players with no lcd display, i can easily say this will be an extremely frustrating appliance.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-01-12, 1:05 AM #37
i'd rather have an iriver... only time i really ever use my portable cd player for longer than 1 cd is when i go on a trip... so most of my whole collection on one device vs a large binder holding less than half of my cds would be MUCH easier

and iriver over ipod because it supports ogg... and the fact that it shows up as a hard drive so i won't need extra software (plus the fact that i don't like itunes anyway)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-12, 8:54 AM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
The quiz game is super fun on someone else's iPod and I will NOT stand for you saying anything bad about solitare... it's gotten me through some hard times :(

The quiz is fun, yes, but I can't play the Solitaire game. I really need my colors to help differentiate the cards.
2005-01-12, 10:41 AM #39
I love my 5GB Rio Carbon. Only $200 too.
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2005-01-12, 12:16 PM #40
I heard that the Rio Carbon has a massive problem if you try to use different headphones. Since the casing is metal, it causes static to build up, and it ruins the sound quality for the headphones... Notice anything like this Rivin?

I was looking at players in the 300-350$ CAD range, and it looks like its Zen Touch vs iPod Mini. I'd almost definitly get the Mini, since the extra space on the Touch wouldn't matter TOO much for me, and since the Mini's UI is much better, but apparently Apple still hasn't smartened up with the battery issue. The Creative one has a proprietary battery as well, but it doesn't seem like anyone is whining about that. What's the deal with these battery rumours?

↑ Up to the top!