Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → out with jo in with ja?
out with jo in with ja?
2005-01-12, 4:11 PM #1
i want to make a mod for jo or ja. i currently own jo. should i buy ja and make a mod for that instead? i also have a couple of questions regarding ja:

1. are the graphics better?
2. is it worth $30?
3. which one has a better single player campaign (jo or ja)
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-12, 4:13 PM #2
1. slightly
2. it still costs that much?
3. storywise, JO... level-wise.... about the same, gameplay-wise, JA
2005-01-12, 4:16 PM #3
Or you could screw them both and get HL2, and forget about modding. You need no modding with DOD:S.... oh lord, none of you will see me once that comes out.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-12, 4:20 PM #4
Unfortunately, that and Garry's Mod seem to be the only decent mods coming out for HL2, and if they botch DoD:S, I'm selling my steam account.

Other than that--last I saw JA was 10 bucks USD
D E A T H
2005-01-12, 4:36 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
Or you could screw them both and get HL2, and forget about modding. You need no modding with DOD:S.... oh lord, none of you will see me once that comes out.

JediKirby

You ain't the only one.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-12, 4:45 PM #6
how likely is it that someone will stumble across my jo mod and actually like it if i post it on massassi?
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-12, 4:52 PM #7
I dunno, I'm willing to give this a whirl once it comes out for the source engine. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything set in urban cyberpunk environments.

The current UT2004 build is already looking pretty tasty.
Tasty. Yummy. Tasty. Yummy. You get the picture.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex inspired team-based urban combat = Happy Daeron.

Back on topic. I haven't got JA, but I'd be willing to pick it up once the slow season hits if the gunplay is improved in any manner from JO. I remember there being a demo out back in ye oldene days, that made some people post silly ragdoll physics pictures atleast, so maybe I should give that a whirl.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-01-12, 6:16 PM #8
say hypothetically speaking i make a really cool mod for jedi outcast:cool:. i make tons of cool maps that take me hours and hours to make. then i buy ja. will it be possible to convert the maps for jo into ja?
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-12, 6:20 PM #9
Yes. But only after you use the "Shift" key more.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-12, 6:22 PM #10
All Right Then...

I need to know.....Seriously
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-12, 6:24 PM #11
If you use default JO textures, then in JA they will show up as missing and the player will see a black and white grid. They need the JO asset.pk3s to get these textures.

You would only be able to legally use these JO levels in JA to their full potential if you own JO.

Or you could use pure custom textures ;)

To use a JO level in JA, just put the .pk3 in the JA base folder.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-12, 6:30 PM #12
So both JO and JA use the same compiling process?
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-12, 6:33 PM #13
Yes. They are basically same type of games.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-13, 3:14 AM #14
With some extra work, you could probably replace many original JO textures with quite similar original JA textures. Why, some JO textures are included in JA. There are slight differences in scripting (only JA allows MP scripting) and maybe some small entity differences. But compatibility from JO to JA is surprisingly good.

Frankly, no place should be charging 30$ of JA anymore. Choose another shop, and get JA. If you make custom mods, there's absolutely no reason what so ever to edit JO if you can have JA. It offers you more possibilities and the gameplay is better.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-13, 4:05 AM #15
I got JA for $9.95....Australian......6 months ago. Any place still selling it for anything near $30 US should be burned to the ground.
2005-01-13, 8:40 AM #16
What are the system specs for jed academy?
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-13, 8:50 AM #17
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/
go to game info- then click on system info.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-01-13, 8:52 AM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Stafford

3. storywise, JO...

-Hey luke, can I have my saber back?

-No Kyle! The reason I'm keeping it in the first place is because last time you used it to get bloodthirsty revenge on a dark jedi and because of that you came close to turning to the dark side! Why do you want it back anyways?

-Well, see, I wanna use the force for bloodthirsty revenge on a dark jedi.

-ah, ok. There you go then. So, who's this dark jedi anyways?

-Oh, just some purple dinosaur who travels around with a half naked alien prostitute.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-13, 8:53 AM #19
Windows 98/98SE/ME/2K/XP; 100% DirectX 9.0a compatible computer; PIII or Athlon class 450Mhz or faster; 128MB RAM; 32MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator; 16-bit DirectX 9.0a compatible sound card
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-01-13, 8:57 AM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
-Hey luke, can I have my saber back?

-No Kyle! The reason I'm keeping it in the first place is because last time you used it to get bloodthirsty revenge on a dark jedi and because of that you came close to turning to the dark side! Why do you want it back anyways?

-Well, see, I wanna use the force for bloodthirsty revenge on a dark jedi.

-ah, ok. There you go then. So, who's this dark jedi anyways?

-Oh, just some purple dinosaur who travels around with a half naked alien prostitute.

hehehe
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-13, 8:58 AM #21
Flexor's explanation of JO's story is certainly the best I have seen so far. It really summed it up very nicely :)
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-13, 9:00 AM #22
Psh, JO's story is among the best I've ever witnessed in most games. It's better tan DF, JK, and JA combined imo.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-13, 9:20 AM #23
DF's story wins. JO's was plain dumb (but fun), JK's was OK, as was MotS' and JA... well, it was fun for a while.

In my opinion, at least.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-13, 10:43 AM #24
how is saving the universe from 7 dark jedi from seizing unlimited power not any good?
DF was a good story, MotS was pretty good as well
JO's story wasn't nearly as strong as the others and JA...it had a story?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-13, 12:18 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
DF's story wins. JO's was plain dumb (but fun), JK's was OK, as was MotS' and JA... well, it was fun for a while.

In my opinion, at least.

JK's story was something like this:

Kyle: Wow! I found a lightsaber in my dad's garage! Awesome! That means I'm a frickin Jedi!
2005-01-13, 12:20 PM #26
JO's actually had emotion. When I thought Tavion and Desann killed Jan, I was furious. I was ecstatic when I found Jan again, and stuff, etc. And the ending was very good. Not quite as good as JK's dark side ending, but still quite good. (JK's dark side ending is the best ending in any game, ever. Past, present, and future).
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-13, 12:22 PM #27
I think it'd be neato torpedo if they made a JO typish thing based upon what would have happened if Kyle went to the darkside instead.
2005-01-13, 12:23 PM #28
if you buy JA don't pay $30 for it... try ebay if you have to... should be able to manage $20..

of course it would be worth the full $50 just for DFmod
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-13, 12:33 PM #29
Actually, according to JK's manual, there was some storyline why Kyle became a Jedi... I don't remember why though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-13, 12:45 PM #30
He's father was a jedi knight too wasn't he.
DEFINITION OF ZERO POINT ENERGY
The amount of vibrational energy associated with matter, as the parameters defining that matter decline to zero.
2005-01-13, 12:49 PM #31
Nah, I think his father just knew the location of the Valley of the Jedi. But he himself was just and old guy working on droids and crops and stuff.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod

↑ Up to the top!