Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → jEdit anyone?
jEdit anyone?
2005-01-12, 4:37 PM #1
anyone here use jEdit? [url]www.jedit.org[/url]

how is it?
2005-01-12, 4:45 PM #2
I have used it in the past. It has a lot of really neat features. My problem with it is that it takes forever (and I mean forever) to start up. That's because it's written in Java, which is notoriously slow. So yeah, I don't use it anymore.

When I had Windows, I used EditPlus http://www.editplus.com/
Now that I use Linux 100% of the time, I've settled on gvim (the vim-gtk package in Debian)
2005-01-12, 4:48 PM #3
i love editplus. i just read an article about jedit and figured i might try it.
for linux i use bluefish.
2005-01-12, 5:03 PM #4
When I first read the title of this thread on the main forum page, I thought you were referring to JKEdit, which totally threw me. :o
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-01-12, 5:04 PM #5
KWrite/KDevelop for me.
2005-01-12, 5:05 PM #6
SciTE is awesome but a pain to configure since it doesn't remember the options you check in the menu, forcing you to edit the config file (which the menu has a shortcut to).
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-12, 5:31 PM #7
There is no Windows text editor better than EditPlus.
2005-01-12, 5:41 PM #8
vim
2005-01-12, 5:49 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Hebedee
There is no Windows text editor better than EditPlus.

This man speaks truth.

In Linux: nano/pico if I'm doing quick work in a console window. Otherwise its KWrite/Kate
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-12, 5:50 PM #10
I love nano. It's my favourite command line text editor.
2005-01-12, 5:54 PM #11
Yeah, nano is the best command line.

I haven't really used a GUI editor in Linux much.
2005-01-12, 6:01 PM #12
Same, although hardly programming able.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-12, 6:39 PM #13
On linux you can also check out screem, I've heard good things about it... but when I apt-get installed it, it warned me of about a zillion dependencies so I backed out with a big fat N when it asked me whether I wanted to proceed.

I've had terrible luck with quanta.

Bluefish isn't bad.

SCITE (however you capitalize it) isn't bad if you get past the configuration.

For some reason, I always go back to gvim on linux though. If there was an editor as good/fast as EditPlus on linux I'd be there in a heartbeat, but I haven't found it yet.

The other thing I hate about jEdit is that the whole application feels so laggy. Even on my new comp (3.2 ghz p4) it runs like crap.
2005-01-12, 7:27 PM #14
Nano in the console, SciTE for coding, KEdit for small texts, LeafPad for note taking.

SciTE is great. Its conifguration is quite simple once youve done it once or twice. Its got syntax highlighting for every language under the sun, and it can handle *HUGE* files with ease.

KWrite, in my opinion, is far too klunky for what its supposed to be - a lightweight text editor. KEdit is alot closer, even though it has long been "obsolete".

LeafPad is great because its so lightweight. It loads in less than a second on my system....And it has line numbers. :D
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

↑ Up to the top!