Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → i want to be australian when i grow up.
i want to be australian when i grow up.
2005-01-12, 7:20 PM #1
what would you be if you could be when you grow up.

i would like to be the owner of a little lodge, maybe 3 cabins too, up in northern ontario.

or an actor.
2005-01-12, 7:21 PM #2
Batman.
2005-01-12, 7:22 PM #3
Parking meter cop.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-12, 7:23 PM #4
Why would I want to be anything other than me?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-12, 7:28 PM #5
Isn't that kind of the point of video games? You seem to like those well enough... Unless of course you run around in real life shooting people and stuff.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-13, 12:16 AM #6
When I grow up I want to be a principle. Or a caterpillar.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-13, 12:35 AM #7
The title of this thread made me think of this article again, which now that I've found online, I shall post here. It's from a weekly column called The Hard Sell, about advertising, particularly on TV.

Quote:
It's amazing, when you think about it, that my homeland of Australia was ever settled by Europeans. Even today, British friends of mine who've only seen kangaroos on television are astounded, when they first confront them in the wild, by just how weird, how otherworldly, they look.

Imagine that you'd not only never seen a kangaroo, but had no idea such things existed. Such would have been the ignorance enjoyed by the watch commander of Captain James Cook's HMS Endeavour when it made landfall in Botany Bay in 1770. Australia owes that officer a great deal. A lesser man would have yelped, "Cripes! The place is populated by seven-foot-tall hopping rats, and some of them have got spares in their pockets! Turn the boat around!"

It is little surprise, then, that Australian efforts to lure British tourists today tend to be reassuring portrayals of a mellow, pastoral Eden, making little mention of our bizarre and dangerous wildlife (cuddling the cute native possums will leave you looking like you've been kicked through a window).

The Australian Tourist Commission's current ad, set to an adenoidal rendering of Sing A Rainbow by Neighbours alumnus Delta Goodrem, pursues this tack. While Ms Goodrem and the melody wrestle each other to stalemate, the screen fills with a slide show of visual muzak: rainforests, beaches, handsome red rock formations.

Going to Australia, this ad tells us, is the most calming, refreshing thing a Briton could do. Which is, sadly, nonsense. Even leaving aside the excruciating, interminable flight, the most likely result of visiting Australia as a Briton is severe psychosis caused by sudden awakening to historical injustice. After enduring Australia's ample space, brilliant light, nigh perfect weather, delicious food, reasonable prices, functioning infrastructure, lack of litter and relatively unhostile shop assistants, you Poms are apt to break down, as your received sense of historical superiority is irretrievably undone.

Basically, you'll realise, if your forebears had been that smart, they'd have left my squalid, filthy, illiterate criminal ancestors in England, and got on the boat themselves.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2005-01-13, 4:08 AM #8
Nice, maevie :)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-13, 5:04 AM #9
ROCKSTAR

oh wait. that's already in the process.

I guess I don't have any imagination.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2005-01-13, 8:01 AM #10
A father of 20 + kids.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-01-13, 8:08 AM #11
All your moms.
2005-01-13, 8:24 AM #12
Indiana Jones.

If this whole Computer Programming thing doesn't work out, I'd like to be a Forest Ranger/Wildlife Photographer who owns his own health-conscious grocery store and restraunt.
2005-01-13, 8:24 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by SideBurns
All your moms.

bah
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-13, 5:08 PM #14
A ninja.

↑ Up to the top!