Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Look at me, for I have been approved.
Look at me, for I have been approved.
2005-01-13, 10:28 AM #1
I found out today that I was approved for a student loan that I needed for this semester to buy a camera. Regardless of what Zully says, this was my only option.

Sony HDR-FX1

This camera is so sweet that it's hard to believe it sells for 3500 USD. It shoots in 1080i high definition with an actual widescreen mode instead of crappy cropped widescreen like on the DVX100. It doesn't have a true 24p mode like the DVX, but it does have "simulated" 24p, which I am told looks nearly as smooth. I am very excited about this.

To make this thread valid, post whether you think I'm an idiot for getting this loan.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-13, 10:34 AM #2
if you need it, go for it.

the cameras on our media course cost something like £3000, that means i'm destined to drop and break one.
2005-01-13, 10:34 AM #3
Wow... I think that's like the same camera the Ep2 was filmed with...
Stuff
2005-01-13, 10:36 AM #4
You went into debt.... for a camera... :eek:

2005-01-13, 10:38 AM #5
Going to shoot some "homevideos" with it?
2005-01-13, 10:41 AM #6
The cameras used by major motion picture companys to film digitally cost about 50k or so. This is used to film alot of television shows and such that you can view in high definition. TLC and Discovery use it almost exclusively.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-13, 11:29 AM #7
sounds like a kickass camera, but what do you need such a good one for? A uni class surely isn't that demanding....
2005-01-13, 11:37 AM #8
Last time I checked University wasn't that practically demanding... did you really have to buy the camera for theory work? Or is this just some fun thing?
2005-01-13, 11:40 AM #9
Holy hell! You could buy three very nice gaming rigs for that! What were you thinking?!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-13, 11:45 AM #10
Looks awesome, you had money and you didn't blow it on a computer, good move.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-13, 11:46 AM #11
Guys... It's film school... If one wants to make good looking films, one must have a camera capable of doing so.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-13, 11:51 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
Looks awesome, you had money and you didn't blow it on a computer, good move.

Actually it sounds to me as if he didn't have the money. ;) And Bill, while that's understandable, do you really think a school requires you to pay more for equipment than tuition? I mean hell, that's tuition for a whole year at plenty of decent universities.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-13, 11:55 AM #13
I want to get a NIkon D70.... They're so friggin sweet.

That thing looks awesome though. I might have to look into something like that for my next big purchase after the Nikon I want to get.
2005-01-13, 12:45 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Actually it sounds to me as if he didn't have the money. ;) And Bill, while that's understandable, do you really think a school requires you to pay more for equipment than tuition? I mean hell, that's tuition for a whole year at plenty of decent universities.

4k is about 30% of my tuition... and the school reccomends that we have at least 5k in the bank each semester for various expenses related to our classes.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-13, 12:54 PM #15
Did you go to http://www.camcorderinfo.com before you bought it?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-13, 12:56 PM #16
Timewolf,

1. I have not bought it YET.
2. Yes I did go there. They gave it a blistering good review.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-13, 1:30 PM #17
Just out of curiosity: what school do you go to?
2005-01-13, 1:34 PM #18
I'm at the Columbus College of Art and Design. Our film program isn't HUGE, but it's good enough for now.

I plan to attend graduate school at USC because we only get a bachelor's program here, and USC is the greatest film school ever.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-13, 2:00 PM #19
I think what they're saying is that for a film class, you wouldn't really need to spend all the extra money on a television-quality camera. I'm sure there's other (cheaper) cameras out there that would work just as well for what you'll be doing

it's like buying a ferrarri when all you're going to be doing is driving to and from work. sure you'll look cool doing it, but you don't need it, and all that extra money could have been spent on something more practical
Moo.
2005-01-13, 2:11 PM #20
I just think most of us don't really have an idea of what Bill's doing and that's why people are replying the way they are. You have to think of the camera as more of an investment and a tool rather than a toy. He could very well be using that camera to shoot a film that will make him money or land him a job that will get him access to higher priced equipment.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-13, 2:52 PM #21
This camera is cheap by comparison. I could be buying a 25k broadcast camera or a 250k panavision.

3.5k on a video camera is not a big amount. Your mom's point and shoot handycam is not for film making.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-13, 4:21 PM #22
Well, with blistering reviews, a loan, and if you think your use of it will be worth over three grand, go for it. Looks awesome.

↑ Up to the top!