Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Shyamalan owes me cash!
Shyamalan owes me cash!
2005-01-13, 11:58 AM #1
I got The Village DVD in the mail today from Amazon (Shut your mouth...one of my favorite films EVER. This thread is not for debating how good/bad the film was) OMG! To the left the logo to my old website, and to the right, The DVD cover on The Village. Hmm, they both have that weird eclipse thing on the text, and they both have a picture of a tree in them! I SAY CONSPIRACY!

Err, yeah.. who bought The Village? (Fine, I changed my mind...you can debate all you want. Just keep it in order.)
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-13, 12:01 PM #2
I forgot the conspiracy!

[Edit: For a full shot of the site with the yellow strip in the back http://sajn.phearwear.com/sire.jpg]
2005-01-13, 12:08 PM #3
OMQ! THEY'RE BOTH SOLAR ECLIPSE EFFECTS! CONSPIRACY!!!
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-13, 12:10 PM #4
HE OWEZ ME TEN GILLION DOLLARZ!
2005-01-13, 12:12 PM #5
BRILLIANT!
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-13, 12:22 PM #6
wasn't the best movie ever but i can't see why some people have to bash it... it's not even in the remote area of being in the ballpark of being near close to horrible
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-13, 12:40 PM #7
Another slow day at massassi......
Twenty-Eight Days, Six Hours, Forty-Two Minutes, Twelve seconds...
2005-01-13, 12:43 PM #8
Great cinematography, great acting by Bryce Dallas Howard, great score, but it had a terrible twist that you could see coming a mile away. It was ok, nothing special.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-13, 1:29 PM #9
I went expecting a horror movie, and when I received a drama with a few tense scenes I was disappointed. However, I need to see it again to be able to appreciate it and decide on its quality.
2005-01-13, 1:39 PM #10
That is I think why many people were dissapointed with The Village. They we're all expecting a horror movie, when it wasn't. It was exactly what you said. A Drama with tense moments. But the depth of the story and the acting and everything was just done so well. It was a great film.
2005-01-13, 1:45 PM #11
I was dissappointed in it, because it was a total suckfest. Much like The Ring.
2005-01-13, 2:01 PM #12
But why was it a total suckfest?

Here is my reasoning for it being good:

* It played with your mind
* It had you thinking the entire movie.
* The 'twist' being in the middle of the movie didn't ruin anything. It was more spooky and tense AFTER the twist. Plus the story kept going on after that point.
* The acting was great.
* Everything in the movie had a purpose. After watching it the second time, lines that I dismissed as just lines held key information. The story goes very deep.
* It was kind of a double twist, after (or before I can't recall) the monster twist, the time period twist as well threw me off.
* Another part was the way they explained how they were hiding from the troubles of their pasts.. I dunno just little things like that made the film great.
2005-01-13, 2:07 PM #13
I never saw it.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-13, 4:15 PM #14
It was a good flick. Sure the twist was obvious from a mile away - the purpose of a movie isn't the twist. I enjoyed the movie even though I had read spoilers on it before I did.
2005-01-13, 8:31 PM #15
Ah, so I can rent it now for cheaper than the cost of the movie tickets if I'd watched it new.

...yeah, my English skills are a bit wack today. :(
But you know what I mean.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-14, 2:42 PM #16
I thought it was a great movie; Shyamalan is a very talented director. The symbolism and the depth of the plot was what really got me. I thought the acting was pretty good, and the characters were memorable (although cold and bland sometimes). The atmosphere was also incredible... few movies I've seen have pulled it off so well. The colors used, the sets, and the music! The music was incredible. I bought the soundtrack as soon as I could, and listened to it over and over.

Even though the plot twist coulda been seen a mile away, it didn't really concern me. Everything else was way above average compared to the average hollywood chic flick. I can't really see why people hate the movie... like what SAJN said, I guess people were expecting a horror movie (which it is NOT). Overall, my favorite Shyamalan movie; I look forward to his future movies.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2005-01-14, 2:57 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
I never saw it.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-01-14, 3:31 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
* It played with your mind

How so? The whole OMG TEH ELDER VILLAGERS ARE TEH MONSTARS was extremely predictable, and I knew that they were in a time period other than what they identified themselves being in within 20 minutes of the movie (there was some discrepency I noticed, and one that I didn't think Shyamalan would have missed).

Quote:
* It had you thinking the entire movie.

No, it had me sleeping the entire film. I jumped slightly when they had explosions of music, but that's simply because I jump at loud, unexpected noises.

Quote:
* The 'twist' being in the middle of the movie didn't ruin anything. It was more spooky and tense AFTER the twist. Plus the story kept going on after that point.

See above.

Quote:
* The acting was great.

Agreed. The acting was very good.

You know the twist sucks when me, the guy who didn't see it coming that Willis was dead or that Jackson was the villain, knew the majority of the twists less than halfway into the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed Signs, The Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable. But you couldn't force me to watch this movie again.

Unless Jacquin Phoenix gets killed by Russel Crowe in a deleted scene. I might watch it then.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-14, 5:01 PM #19
They don't really look similar to each other.. at all. Except for the similar colors...

↑ Up to the top!