Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Guy uses facial recognition software...
Guy uses facial recognition software...
2005-01-13, 3:13 PM #1
...on his cat.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-13, 3:19 PM #2
THat's pretty darn cool.
2005-01-13, 3:22 PM #3
Haha, that's pretty clever.
2005-01-13, 3:24 PM #4
cool
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-13, 4:06 PM #5
Pretty nifty...
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-13, 4:09 PM #6
very cool. i'm gonna make one for my kids. :p
2005-01-13, 4:12 PM #7
Nice.
2005-01-13, 4:17 PM #8
Seems like unnecessary amount of fuss just to stop the cat from bringing stuff in.

It tends to be quite difficult to get something that is very much alive through a catflap, when the door is closed, so the only creatures that are brought in through the catflap are either mortally wounded, or considerably less mobile, with various broken limbs. The cat brings them in so she can toy with them, but they don't get far and they're not a problem.

The problem that might arise is if the cat doesn't kill the creature. When it's especially warm in the summer, we tend to leave the back door open, this makes the house much cooler. But this does mean that the cat can pull in stuff that is very much alive and we end up with birds flying around the kitchen or mice hiding under the fridge. That is a problem.

But the whole 'bringing stuff in' thing is important to the cat, especially for neutered cats, as it reinforces the instinctive 'hunter role' in them providing for their family (if they don't have kittens, then you the owner will end up taking the role as her kittens!)

This seems to be another initiative in trying to stop the cat from hunting just because it seems 'cruel' or 'messy' to you, and that's very unhealthy for the cat.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-13, 4:17 PM #9
sweetness
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-01-13, 4:57 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
Seems like unnecessary amount of fuss just to stop the cat from bringing stuff in.

It tends to be quite difficult to get something that is very much alive through a catflap, when the door is closed, so the only creatures that are brought in through the catflap are either mortally wounded, or considerably less mobile, with various broken limbs. The cat brings them in so she can toy with them, but they don't get far and they're not a problem.

The problem that might arise is if the cat doesn't kill the creature. When it's especially warm in the summer, we tend to leave the back door open, this makes the house much cooler. But this does mean that the cat can pull in stuff that is very much alive and we end up with birds flying around the kitchen or mice hiding under the fridge. That is a problem.

But the whole 'bringing stuff in' thing is important to the cat, especially for neutered cats, as it reinforces the instinctive 'hunter role' in them providing for their family (if they don't have kittens, then you the owner will end up taking the role as her kittens!)

This seems to be another initiative in trying to stop the cat from hunting just because it seems 'cruel' or 'messy' to you, and that's very unhealthy for the cat.

I totally agree about the cats need to "bring in something", but would the cat still feel like its accomplished bringing something if it attempts to leave it in the area where the cat is checked for recognition? Would make things easier for the cats master to clean up if everything it takes in is in one small area.

Either way, cool thing. People have wasted computers on sillier things. This has some practical use at least
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2005-01-13, 5:06 PM #11
Damn Mort, must you turn everything into an argument? This is simply one of those things that should make you go "hey, cool." And it is very much so cool.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-13, 5:23 PM #12
Quote:
This is simply one of those things that should make you go "hey, cool."

Well, it doesn't.

And what a pointless thread that'd be, anyway.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-13, 5:38 PM #13
Damn, that's a good idea. Now excuse me while I install an iris scanner in the peephole on my door.
Stuff
2005-01-13, 8:05 PM #14
The real solution is of course to leave your cats outside. They'll survive, y'know. Of course, that's probably just the farmboy in me talking.
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2005-01-13, 8:18 PM #15
So what if a different (yet somewhat similar) cat comes through? Cats all have very similar facial shapes, and that seems to be all the program checks for.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-13, 8:37 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
So what if a different (yet somewhat similar) cat comes through? Cats all have very similar facial shapes, and that seems to be all the program checks for.

The point of the program was to prevent his cat from bringing in birds and other small animals.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-14, 12:17 PM #17
So my cat could get in, too.

wait.... I don't have a cat.... yet.

/gets a cat and trains it for robbery.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-14, 1:39 PM #18
CATBURGLAR
Moo.
2005-01-14, 2:22 PM #19
I'm going to capture a raccoon, then take it in for some reconstructive facial surgery, then take it to that person's house and let it go through the door. Fight fire with fire.
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-15, 1:51 AM #20
Not to related to whats going on, but you know, you can also teach cats to not catch specific animals, or even to not bring them in, by just teaching it the way you would a normaly, reward it when it does what you want, and don't when it doesn't. I've have about four or five cats, and they were all taut as such, and I pretty much never had a problem. Cats are a lot smarter than some people give them credit for.
Ever wonder what would happen if you took every dangerous substance in the world and mixed them all together? Hehehehe.....
2005-01-15, 3:42 AM #21
Looks pretty cool, if somewhat extravagant.
I would've taken a different approach personally, but you train your pets how you can.
This isn't about making the cat not kill mice, this is about stopping it dragging them indoors.
I have a dog that is a great mouser, she managed to (as far as we know) wipe out the entire mouse population of the house.
She used to always drop them at my door, all proud and waggly-tailed.
It took me a long time to teach her dead things belong outside. I have no problem with her killing them, I just don't want to have to look at them first thing in the morning.
You can't judge a book by it's file size

↑ Up to the top!