Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I have reached 1337
I have reached 1337
2005-01-14, 9:12 AM #1
Postcount: 1337

And of course, to legitimize this post, list your favorite old-school games, and WHY. Old School is 8 bit, or DOS.

Galliga, because getting the highest score on the arcade machine at a bar in the middle of no where is the only way to receive immortality.

Oregon Trail, because killing off your family didn't start with 3D graphics and 20 expansion packs [read: The sims], it began with poisonous snakes, working your oxen too hard, and starving your sister.

Dr. Quandry's Island, because it was OK to play with dolls for a change.

Chips Callange, because thinking when playing a game is good... sometimes.

Duke Nukem, because not thinking when playing a game is better.

Zelda, no words required.

Goldenaxe, because teamwork was a concept few of us got at that age.

Streets of Rage, see above.

Sonic. Period.

Anything Ninja Turtles, because Human-like turtles with samurai/ninja weapons > You.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-14, 9:17 AM #2
Duke Nukem 3D = Bloody damn great extra amazing wonderful game. Oh, how good DNF could turn out...

Shadow Warrior = Another bloody damn great extra amazing wonderful game. Wonderful humour, levels... hell, everything!

Dark Forces = And another. Greatest SW shooter this far. Hopefully Republic Commando will take it's place...

Wings = Woah. Great shareware stuff. You've probably never heard of it, but still. Yay.

Chips Challenge = So many hours wasted on this one, I never got around finishing it though. My sister was overaddicted to it, though. Hm.

Star Control 2 = It was damn fun years ago, I haven't got myself around to play it nowadays. Probably would be better though.

System Shock = I haven't played it very much, but it seems very spanktastic.

Duke Nukem 3D = Deserves another mention.

Shadow Warrior = Duh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-14, 9:36 AM #3
Dos? There is only one.

Syndicate.

Oh, and ne post before 0xb00.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-14, 9:49 AM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by - Tony -
Dos? There is only one.

Syndicate.

Beat me to it.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-14, 10:11 AM #5
its only 1337 in hex, not your actual post count.

but yeah... chex quest.
2005-01-14, 10:12 AM #6
Back in the old days, when Might and Magic was good I loved World of Xeen (Might and Magic IV and V).
And of course you can't make a thread like this without mentioning the Commander Keen series.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-01-14, 10:27 AM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Impi
Back in the old days, when Might and Magic was good I loved World of Xeen (Might and Magic IV and V).
And of course you can't make a thread like this without mentioning the Commander Keen series.

Another vote for everyone's favorite pre-teen space travelin' wonder engineer.

I had a crudload of shareware games, can't remember them. I liked wolfenstein 3d the most, so I actually bought it.

But seriously, the best game of all time, period is Super Mario Brother 3. Best game ever. I still play it every six months.
2005-01-14, 2:41 PM #8
dude your post count is like 4,500...

0LD N3\/\/5!!!!111
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-01-14, 2:42 PM #9
I have more posts than kirby, bwhahahah >_>

My favorite old school game is DF. Maybe eventually I'll get to releasing Uber Jedi Suite.

2005-01-14, 2:44 PM #10
Galactic Battle > *
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-01-14, 2:45 PM #11
Cool. I wonder how many posts I have . Close to 1000
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-14, 6:27 PM #12
Police Quest. As well as streets of rage and golden axe.
2005-01-14, 6:53 PM #13
WING COMMANDER

TIE FIGHTER

X-WING

DOOM

WOLFENSTIEN

COSMO'S COSMIC ADVENTURES

CRYSTAL CAVES

SECRET AGENT

SCORCHED EARTH

EMPIRE (w00t)

WARCRAFT II

MASTER OF ORION I/II

And the best DOS game ever to grace uh.. DOS is:

STAR CRUSADER (Wish they released the expansion pack advertised in the manual :( )
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-14, 8:22 PM #14
hmm..

Contra
Ice Climber
Gruds in Space
Prince of Persia
Zork :)
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-01-14, 8:23 PM #15
i passed 0x1337 long ago
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-14, 8:26 PM #16
My favourite dos game is quest for glory, because of its awesome storyline and gameplay.

To bad it's abandonware :(
2005-01-15, 12:42 PM #17
Crystal Caves... I must be the only person on Earth who has played it... I think its one of the best platformers EVER.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-15, 12:53 PM #18
Yeah, that was a fun one. Sucked up a good portion of my life.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-15, 12:59 PM #19
I've reached 1337 too... :)
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-15, 2:06 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
Crystal Caves... I must be the only person on Earth who has played it... I think its one of the best platformers EVER.

Secret agent was good too. (Same graphics and style and everything. Same company too ;) )
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-15, 4:53 PM #21
Quote:
Oregon Trail, because killing off your family didn't start with 3D graphics and 20 expansion packs [read: The sims], it began with poisonous snakes, working your oxen too hard, and starving your sister.

Zelda, no words required.

Sonic. Period.

Anything Ninja Turtles, because Human-like turtles with samurai/ninja weapons > You.

Agreed

As for some of my own:

Pong: 'cause I can own you in it!
Jedi Power Battles: Cause it was most likely the first fun Star Wars game.
Super Mario Bros 3: What? You need a reason?
Tecmo Super Bowl: Makes all other football games look...dull.
Still here.
2005-01-15, 6:55 PM #22
Duke Nukem.

Escape From Castle Wolfinstein! Best old school game ever. It was the first one to have a death camtm You fight a mecha hitler, dude's with pixlated missles, zombies, dogs, and other nazi cannon fodder. And that one guy has the record times for every level because he just ran through it.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-01-16, 7:35 AM #23
Super Mario RPG...even tho its not DOS...still one of my favorites of all time. i got it up on unix and i play it while in my freshman computer class, just like a real slacker
░▒▓█▓▒░?░▒▓█▓▒░
2005-01-16, 9:56 AM #24
Lemmings. There is no better game, and there never will be. It's one of my favourite puzzle games ever.

edit: my post count is now "BAA". Kind of appropriate for my title :)
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2005-01-16, 10:59 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane
Secret agent was good too. (Same graphics and style and everything. Same company too ;) )

I used to play lots of Apogee games. (http://www.apogee1.com/)

I played both Crystal Caves and Secret Agent when I was little. :D Not sure if I ever beat them, at least not much.

↑ Up to the top!