Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Judge nixes evolution textbook stickers
Judge nixes evolution textbook stickers
2005-01-15, 6:38 PM #41
Quote:
Originally posted by Roach
You left out the little bit about how human eyes only see one part of the light spectrum, while there are eyes that can see U.V., so who's to say we don't have just half an eye?

Yes, possibly, but it obviously wouldn't be 'half' an eye.

An entirely possible mutation might be to expand the visible spectrum, and though it might be cool I don't see it having any significant advantages towards survival.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-15, 6:41 PM #42
I personally don't believe in life just by chance existing, but then again, each has their own opinions. I sure as heck was ignorant and say "I don't want to learn this in school." I personally try to keep an open mind on things. I believe in both Evolution and creationism in a way.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-01-15, 8:07 PM #43
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenshu
I really don't think you read my post. Your idea of abiogenesis is outdated as well: you think it's some sort of aristotelian abiogenesis (with spontaneous generation). I also didn't suggest that it was a standalone theory.

YOU HAVE BEEN **FALSIFIED**.

The wrath of heaven does indeed burn. Yeah, I re-read what you said... whoops, my apologies.

Damn, how did I extract what I did... Well, I'll just say that I can't read, yep. What are all these pretty symbols?!
2005-01-15, 8:12 PM #44
Quote:
YOU HAVE BEEN **FALSIFIED**.

That's really unnecessarily obnoxious.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2005-01-15, 8:16 PM #45
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog

Heh, I'm the one being attacked, and I think in context it was needed. I basically ranted on about something he didn't say, so yeah.
2005-01-15, 9:05 PM #46
Quote:
cre·a·tion·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kr-sh-nzm)
n.
Belief in the literal interpretation of the account of the creation of the universe and of all living things related in the Bible.

Huh? A counterfactual account in the Bible?
I love how accurate the pronunciation key was. :p

LITERALLY speaking, Genesis 1 says God created everything by speaking it into existance. Genesis 2 talks about forming everything. The only potential conflict I see is use of the term "day," which even in this day, we use as a generic term for "a period of time"... like I did just now. And that same rule applies to the Hebrew word. And LITERALLY speaking, "day" could not have possibly been referring to earth-based days because the sun did not even exist until day 4.
Here's an interesting, but unrelated, bit of information. Genesis 1:2 says "...the earth was formless." However it can also be interpreted to English as "the earth became formless." Verse 3 mentions a great light... on the same day. Not the sun. That was day 4, like I said. Interpret it as you will.

Mind you, I don't go for a literal account.
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
My point is that religion is based entirely on faith, and faith is illogical, or it wouldn't be faith to begin with.
Actually, belief of religion is based on faith. A subtle, but important difference.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-15, 9:32 PM #47
All of this controversy, and we haven't even gotten into the topics of Teleological arguments or Intelligent Design!
2005-01-15, 11:00 PM #48
Quote:
Originally posted by Hebedee
All of this controversy, and we haven't even gotten into the topics of Teleological arguments or Intelligent Design!

GAH, GET THAT TELEOLOGIC CRAP OUTTA HERE! I've been reading too much of that in class lately. Stupid phiolosophy crap, I shake my fist at thee!

But yeah, tons of untouched, virgin ground. So soft and delecate, until our plows of argument violate it and... alright, enough of that...
2005-01-15, 11:01 PM #49
I think the worst part of this whole thing is that I grew up/my parents still live in Cobb County. If I saw the woman who got the petition to put the stickers in the books I would throw a T-rex at her.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-16, 1:58 AM #50
Quote:

****, et tu Brute? I should've known lighthearted crazy posting goes through an internet seriousness filter. Lord Kuat, I sincerely apologize if I came across as attacking you. I wasn't, and I misread posts all the time; no hard feelings at all...

Quote:
I personally don't believe in life just by chance existing, but then again, each has their own opinions. I sure as heck was ignorant and say "I don't want to learn this in school." I personally try to keep an open mind on things. I believe in both Evolution and creationism in a way.

See, lots of people who attack evolution in my experience don't have a clue what it means; no offense. The basics of evolution is:
1- Random mutation
2- Rigorous natural and sexual selection

The process is anything but random.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-01-16, 4:45 AM #51
Quote:
See, lots of people who attack evolution in my experience don't have a clue what it means; no offense. The basics of evolution is:
1- Random mutation

[...]

The process is anything but random.

:p

But seriousely though..

Any of you who think it's so unlikely that life managed to survive so well, and that the conditions were all so perfectly right, you're right. Just look at what we know about the universe... out of thousands of known planets on thousands of different systems, only one even comes close to having the conditions needed to harbor life.

This isn't an argument for creationism, on the contrary, it's an argument against it. If all planets in our star system had forms of intelligent (or even otherwise) life, then it would make slightly more sense to presume some external force or intelligent beings were responsible.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-16, 5:07 AM #52
Quote:

But seriousely though..

I know you were joking, but that's exactly what so many people do: they acknowledge point 1 (random mutation) and ignore point 2 (deterministic selection). I don't know why. Perhaps it even happens subconsciously, where every information that doesn't support their undefendable view of reality gets consistently blocked out. Then they still have point one in mind and go all berserk: life is too complex to have evolved through chance!

In its basic form (point 1+2) evolution is not hard to grasp. The pitfall is, people assume too fast that they get it. Darwin knew this when his friend and supporter Huxley gave a very blurry and confused speech on the subject. People falsely assume they get it, so think they're allowed to have a viewpoint on the subject, to have a shot at Truth. Which they're not.

I'm all for opinion and freedom of speech and everything, but in the discussion of evolution it has no place; meaning people who reject evolution because of a personal/religious bias (every single anti-evolutionist) shouldn't get the kind of attention they get now. It's amazing that the marginal belief of so few has become the marginal belief of so many, to the point that people assume there is a debate.

But there is no debate. This topic is useless. It frustrates me to Hell (non-existent) that in conversation with fundies I have to make sense, while they can keep proposing the same ****ed up, illogical, counterfactual, wishful thinking view on reality, with the Good Book in hand (which isn't all that good after all, as history keeps showing us).

So, before you get worked up too much in this debate, read a scientific book on the subject. Why don't I debate the fact that e=mc²? Because I don't know **** about that particular subject, and reality doesn't care about my personal viewpoint, until it's backed up by evidence (which, in the evolution debate, you don't have - yet?).
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-01-16, 5:12 AM #53
Quote:
****, et tu Brute? I should've known lighthearted crazy posting goes through an internet seriousness filter. Lord Kuat, I sincerely apologize if I came across as attacking you. I wasn't, and I misread posts all the time; no hard feelings at all...

Yes, sorry, I misunderstood. :(

Anyway, pretty much anything that 'Intelligent Design' puts forward has been covered here against Creationism. Intelligent Design is just Creationism with a whole load of irrelevant scientific jargon pelted at it for good measure. It's just as much a non-theory as Creationism. Intelligent Design is for Creationists that want to have some facade of looking 'scientific'.

Quote:

But seriousely though..

Any of you who think it's so unlikely that life managed to survive so well, and that the conditions were all so perfectly right, you're right. Just look at what we know about the universe... out of thousands of known planets on thousands of different systems, only one even comes close to having the conditions needed to harbor life.

A lot of Creationists (I shall refer to Intelligent Design as Creationism as well) like to use the argument that the Universe must be fine-tuned to our survival as the likelihood of a Universe supporting a life is very unlikely to happen 'by itself'. This is the weak anthropic principle, and it's probably the best argument Creationists have going for them.

It has one fairly big logical fallacy, and several other smaller ones.
The big one is, regardless of what the probability is, it happened. This Universe does support life, so the probability of it occuring is not 0 - it's not impossible for it to all have been a big coincidence (so this doesn't really show that 'God must exist', at best it shows that 'God probably exists'). But if this Universe didn't support life, then we wouldn't be here talking about it. There might be another Universe that doesn't support life. This isn't it. There might be lots of Universes that don't support life. This one isn't one of them. In terms of us, the Universes that don't support life might as well not exist at all. So, in terms of us, the probability of a Universe supporting life must be 1.

And it all assumes that the Universal constants came about randomly, it assumes that they could be different. That is a fairly big assumption, and it hasn't really been justified.

Also, if the Universe was 'fine-tuned' then life should be much more abundant, rather than being as rare as it appears in this Universe.

The real proof of the existance for God would be if he created life in a Universe that couldn't support life. If we looked at all the constants in the Universe and realised "hey, life shouldn't be able to exist at all in this Universe", that could only that God must exist.
2005-01-16, 5:13 AM #54
You have to realize that the general populace is rather conservative by nature. If you come up with something that contradicts what their established mindsets, they'll reject it automatically. I know what you mean, and it pisses me off too. But you just have to make a habit of ignoring them.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-16, 5:54 AM #55
Quote:
You have to realize that the general populace is rather conservative by nature. If you come up with something that contradicts what their established mindsets, they'll reject it automatically. I know what you mean, and it pisses me off too. But you just have to make a habit of ignoring them.

I think this only really applies to the US. Creationism really doesn't have any support in Europe, save perhaps for heavily Roman Catholic areas. The 'conflict' doesn't really exist outside of the southern US states, Europeans accept natural selection as truth and consider it no different from any other widely accepted scientific principle. The 'controvesy' over evolution is something Europe got over a hundred years ago.

(Yes, I do realise the world contains more than just America and Europe, the Middle-East believes almost exclusively in Islamic Creationism, which is essentially exactly the same. Because of the nature of the Middle-East, this probably isn't going to change any time soon)
2005-01-16, 5:57 AM #56
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
To determine if something is logical or not, it needs to be precise. Examples follow:

Vague: Is it logical to fight someone?
Precise: Is it logical to fight a person who attacks you?

Your answer is probably different depending on the detail presented. Same thing for creation. It's vague, plain and simple. Logic doesn't really come into play here. Science is based on evidence, or more specifically, the interpretation of evidence, and the collection of such interpreted evidence into a cluster called a theory.

Have you ever heard the phrase "If you can't wow them with intellect, baffle them with bullsh*t?"
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-16, 7:04 AM #57
Quote:
I think this only really applies to the US. Creationism really doesn't have any support in Europe, save perhaps for heavily Roman Catholic areas. The 'conflict' doesn't really exist outside of the southern US states, Europeans accept natural selection as truth and consider it no different from any other widely accepted scientific principle. The 'controvesy' over evolution is something Europe got over a hundred years ago.

(Yes, I do realise the world contains more than just America and Europe, the Middle-East believes almost exclusively in Islamic Creationism, which is essentially exactly the same. Because of the nature of the Middle-East, this probably isn't going to change any time soon)

That's mainly what I meant. Europe and north-east north america are just a small factor.
2005-01-16, 8:59 AM #58
Quote:
Originally posted by Roach
American public schools were openly designed to be propaganda tools and to prepare the population for non-stimulating jobs.

I was on my way to posting this exact same thing, until i discovered you'd beaten me to it :mad:
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2005-01-16, 3:07 PM #59
Quote:
This isn't an argument for creationism, on the contrary, it's an argument against it. If all planets in our star system had forms of intelligent (or even otherwise) life, then it would make slightly more sense to presume some external force or intelligent beings were responsible.
Kinda like how a hole conforms to a puddle.

Oh wait...
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-16, 3:10 PM #60
Well kids, I know of two things you can always depend on.

You're going to die, and poo smells like ****.
2005-01-16, 3:17 PM #61
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
and poo smells like ****.

Circular argument.
2005-01-16, 6:30 PM #62
Quote:
I love how accurate the pronunciation key was.

That's because the vowels are represented as pictures, since standard ASCII can't represent the phonetic alphabet well at all.

↑ Up to the top!